ONGOING CONSTRUCTION:​

Median Removals and the Installation of Temporary Traffic Signals​

The removal of the remaining medians at crossings and intersections and the installation of temporary traffic signals along Hurontario are complete. Works continue for the installation of temporary traffic signals on Rathburn Road.

11cf5cf1-79f3-6e70-7b50-359ced7cde87.jpg
This work involves pulling and connecting spans that support the overhead traffic signal heads, the removal of existing traffic signal poles, and energization of the new temporary overhead signals to finalize the installation.

Environmental Investigations and Sub-Surface Utility Engineering (SUE)

SUE work continues near HWY 403 and is expected to be completed in September. These works involve creating test pits to gather information on the ground conditions specific to the area and helps to map the locations of existing utilities (Enbridge oil pipeline). Environmental investigations have begun along Rathburn Road, between Centreview Drive and Duke of York Boulevard. Environmental investigations analyze the quality of the soil in the area to check for contaminants and determine which facility the excavated soil should be hauled away to during construction.

Utilities, Roadways and Temporary Bus Platforms​

Site preparation for utility relocations and civil works for roadways have begun along Hurontario Street, between Matthews Gate and Eglinton Avenue, as well as along Rathburn Road where the LRT line will eventually connect with the Mississauga City Centre Transit Terminal.

3496eb08-7226-9cdf-fd10-bf651fcc7acd.jpg
Pending permits and approvals, crews are expected to mobilize along Rathburn Road at the City Centre intersection, progressing west towards Duke of York Boulevard.

Temporary hoarding for tree protections are expected to begin in the coming months and will be followed by the installation of temporary bus platforms and line painting to reconfigure active lanes of traffic. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction along Hurontario Street during these works. Rathburn Road will have one lane of active traffic in each direction during utility works, and two lanes of active traffic in one direction and one lane in the opposite direction for roadworks.

Tree Protections, Trimming and Removals

To accommodate utility works, landscaping and the future traffic configuration, most trees along the boulevard and within the project's right of way will be removed.
Every reasonable attempt has been made to protect the trees as well as to reduce the need for tree removals from private lands. To minimize the impacts of construction on the natural environment, Mobilinx has begun to fence off trees that have been identified by an arborist for protection.
The tree protection and removal requirements for the project have been developed by a certified arborist in consultation with the City of Mississauga (Forestry), and Metrolinx.
As tree trimming and removals begin along the corridor, the community can expect to see removals occurring outside of the construction zone. These trees have been identified for removal by the arborist as the root system has grown far enough into the project's right of way that construction will negatively impact the trees health.
We continue to work with private property owners, meeting them onsite or in virtual meetings to ensure any questions or concerns they may have are addressed. Where permission to enter the private property has been granted, Mobilinx has begun to install protections around identified trees and will begin trimming and removals in the next few weeks.
Where permission has not been granted, Mobilinx will install tree protections within the municipal right-of-way and trim the portions of trees that encroach onto the public boulevard. Neither Mobilinx or Metrolinx will enter private lands without signed permission from the property owner.

SAFETY​

We’re fast approaching back to school time again, however with major construction for the HuLRT project well underway, the way residents travelled to school may have changed over the months. We recommend allowing for extra time to account for any detours or lane reductions in place. We also urge those to walk or drive the route ahead of time to get used to any changes in place. Please follow all signage and approach construction and school zones with caution. In addition to these, please see other safety tips below:

a41b8d7f-8299-1a5d-5aab-2769f4754e9b.jpg

1. Avoid using cellphones and other distractions while driving.
  2. Be mindful of speed limits, especially in school zones.
  3. Never assume a driver sees you, make eye contact with drivers as they approach to make sure you are seen. Also watch for cars entering or exiting driveways surrounding construction areas.
  4. Watch for pedestrians, especially where there may be obstructions due to construction.
  5. Always stop for school busses that are loading or unloading children.
  6. Don’t take shortcuts. You may be redirected around construction areas, so pay attention to the signs and only cross the street at proper crosswalks and intersections.
We would appreciate any amplification of this safety message across your own media channels.

COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT:​

d6480257-e0be-d9df-d85a-d030ac32b1ea.jpg
Our Community Canvass started at the beginning of August, giving us a chance to touch base with residents and businesses along the corridor to find out how we can support throughout construction and what they are most excited about as the Hurontario LRT project progresses!

So far, canvassers were able to knock on over 3200 doors, engaging with residents and businesses along the entire stretch of the corridor.

As construction progresses, we’ll be putting up “Shop Local” signage along Hurontario Street in addition to our directional signage and open for business signage.
Our Peel Community Relations team will continue to help residents and businesses virtually, but if you would like an in-person appointment, let us know via email at Peel@metrolinx.com. For more updates and information on this project, and to get the latest news on what’s happening in Peel, subscribe to our newsletter: www.metrolinx.com/hurontariolrt

Late
July 27
More up on site
51391400696_26cf87731c_b.jpg

51392416525_f563848da5_b.jpg

51392416810_d381e1dea3_b.jpg

51392416915_071bf383df_b.jpg

51391401081_88ef669abc_b.jpg

51391401206_313dffb1f9_b.jpg

51391401261_a3256406f8_b.jpg

51392417170_6743cd62bb_b.jpg

51392417170_6743cd62bb_b.jpg

51391655633_1201425a06_b.jpg

51392417620_4502d87b55_b.jpg

Aug 12
Just activate the lights and removed the last of the median at Burnhamthrope
51390938347_0433410b72_b.jpg

51392716945_20209c4dd7_b.jpg

51392716755_de6b354008_b.jpg

It upsets me so much that the planned Square One area loop was removed in the final design. That would've made this project a lot more useful.
Maybe with all those parking lots between Hurontario and Square One, I can see an expansion of the mall towards the LRT. Similar to how Yorkdale Mall extended itself towards Yorkdale Subway Station.

It upsets me so much that the planned Square One area loop was removed in the final design. That would've made this project a lot more useful.
As well wasting a lot of riders time who want to bypass the area. Riders using the 17 and 2 waste 15-20 minutes going to the CCTT compare to 3 minutes or less using the 103 that bypass CCTT.

There is no firm discussion how the line will operate on opening day with the line split still on the table.

I am glad the loop got can as my world does not revolve around the mall since I maybe there once a month unless I am using the 109 or 110.or the 61.

The best place for a new transit terminal was next to Hurontario for a true north-south route.

As well wasting a lot of riders time who want to bypass the area. Riders using the 17 and 2 waste 15-20 minutes going to the CCTT compare to 3 minutes or less using the 103 that bypass CCTT.

There is no firm discussion how the line will operate on opening day with the line split still on the table.

I am glad the loop got can as my world does not revolve around the mall since I maybe there once a month unless I am using the 109 or 110.or the 61.

They could've easily added trains that bypass the loop, or made the loop trains a different "line" where you'd have to get off and take another train on the same platform. Even a single dedicated train going around the loop continuously while all other trains run straight through would've solved those issues.

Your self centred mentality is exactly what is wrong with this city. All about how it would inconvenience you, when we're talking about servicing the densest area in the entire city, and wider region. Seriously smh.

The best place for a new transit terminal was next to Hurontario for a true north-south route.

Ah yes, the thousands of people who are commuting from Port Credit to Brampton every day, or from Port Credit to the important work district of Hurontario/403, right? Where do you think the majority of people stopping near Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe are heading? 🤦‍♂️ The world doesn't revolve around you.

They could've easily added trains that bypass the loop, or made the loop trains a different "line" where you'd have to get off and take another train on the same platform. Even a single dedicated train going around the loop continuously while all other trains run straight through would've solved those issues.

Your self centred mentality is exactly what is wrong with this city. All about how it would inconvenience you, when we're talking about servicing the densest area in the entire city, and wider region. Seriously smh.

Ah yes, the thousands of people who are commuting from Port Credit to Brampton every day, or from Port Credit to the important work district of Hurontario/403, right? Where do you think the majority of people stopping near Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe are heading? 🤦‍♂️ The world doesn't revolve around you.
Whoa. Don't take it so personally.

The world never revolved around me or other who want to get where they want to go faster than it does today. It sure look like you have no idea how many people travel from Dundas to Derry or Brampton both way.

It very clear you don't understand how the systems operate or how interlining have an impact on the system as well operation cost. Most of all, you use a wide paint brush to white wash your point of view with no real data to backup your claim. You want to tell me where most of the riders are on Hurontario as well where are the peak points. How many riders travel to from CCTT and where are they coming from>> what will the ridership for CCTT be by 2040 that includes GO Transit. Can the existing CCTT handle pre COVID-19 ridership as well by 2040??

Your so call self centre mentality is so wrong considering I have pushed for better transit not only in Mississauga, but the GTA that will never benefit me in the first place, but will for everyone for the last 21 years. What have you done to improve transit other than type here??? The amount of times I travel on Hurontario is only about 10% of my travel using Mississauga transit. If I am going north of CCTT, I will use 103. I have pushed not only the Hurontario line since 2003, but on a few other routes.

Even ML has already stated what you think should happen is not straight forward and have many issues that can snow ball over time causing problems for everyone as well being very costly.

Well the truth of the matter is, the city centre terminal would have been much better located on Hurontario. But now we're getting half-baked solutions everywhere because Mississauga didnt look into relocating the bus terminal onto Hurontario.

In other words, there will be a half-baked MiWay transit terminal which is over-capacity, next to a half-baked city-centre LRT "station", next to a half-baked GO Bus "Terminal".

Sorry but Mississauga dropped the ball on this, whether you like it or not.

Well the truth of the matter is, the city centre terminal would have been much better located on Hurontario. But now we're getting half-baked solutions everywhere because Mississauga didnt look into relocating the bus terminal onto Hurontario.

In other words, there will be a half-baked MiWay transit terminal which is over-capacity, next to a half-baked city-centre LRT "station", next to a half-baked GO Bus "Terminal".

Well, the condo develops have heavily biased on the west side of Square One. All those people have a pretty long hike to get to the LRT, which is itself a slow way to get to what... Cooksville Go? Might as well just drive!

Very true starting with the original CCTT as to where it was built in the 90's. It was built for a city of 250,000 when the city was already over 300,000 with ridership at 25,000 daily. The city was not willing to spend a few extra $$ for a lager size and a different location. 10 years after it open, it had to be expanded to handle the 40,000+ riders and needs to expand again even with routes removed from the terminal..

It was built with a 2nd level for a BRT when it came time to build it. When the BRT was being built, the 2nd level was scrap due to lack of funds and it costing more than it was supposed to.

Starting around 2005.I made the recommendation that a new terminal to handle 125-150,000 riders be built in that hydro and plaza area next to Hurontario or in the north east corner of Sq One lot. Still do. The land EA for Hurontario call for the same location as well the early LRT EA that would see the LRT use the new Absolute Dr extension to City Centre Dr to get over the 403, but was scrap due to Walmart Docking bays as well to the underground docking area.

The current thinking that a new terminal should be built with underground BRT connection on the north side of Rathburn that would go under Hurontario and the follow the original plan to finish building the transitway on the north of the 403 from Duke of York to Erin Mills. QMERS is the white elephant pertaining to this new terminal as its on land they want to build office towers on. Easy to build towers over a bus terminal if the will to do so is there. With ML having its hand in this mess, I expect to see the same mess and thinking with the city always behind the curb for building what is needed in the first place.

Mississauga drop the ball more than once for this area. Not willing to spend $$ for the hockey and sport complex, it got built in no man zone where cars are the only option to get to it today and transit sucking..

What was supposed to be Mississauga Downtown 21 plan vision, is not going to happen. It will be a centre and that all it going to be with no true Downtown until the mall is a 5th of the current size located on a number of floors with other development on top of it.

Well, the condo develops have heavily biased on the west side of Square One. All those people have a pretty long hike to get to the LRT, which is itself a slow way to get to what... Cooksville Go? Might as well just drive!
Even if you put an LRT over to the west side, faster to take the 28 or drive to Cooksville GO than use the LRT. It only benefit a small number of riders compare to the rest of the route. The LRT will play a small roll south of the Queensway just like the 19 /103 did and the current 2 does.

Back