Very true starting with the original CCTT as to where it was built in the 90's. It was built for a city of 250,000 when the city was already over 300,000 with ridership at 25,000 daily. The city was not willing to spend a few extra $$ for a lager size and a different location. 10 years after it open, it had to be expanded to handle the 40,000+ riders and needs to expand again even with routes removed from the terminal..

It was built with a 2nd level for a BRT when it came time to build it. When the BRT was being built, the 2nd level was scrap due to lack of funds and it costing more than it was supposed to.

Starting around 2005.I made the recommendation that a new terminal to handle 125-150,000 riders be built in that hydro and plaza area next to Hurontario or in the north east corner of Sq One lot. Still do. The land EA for Hurontario call for the same location as well the early LRT EA that would see the LRT use the new Absolute Dr extension to City Centre Dr to get over the 403, but was scrap due to Walmart Docking bays as well to the underground docking area.

The current thinking that a new terminal should be built with underground BRT connection on the north side of Rathburn that would go under Hurontario and the follow the original plan to finish building the transitway on the north of the 403 from Duke of York to Erin Mills. QMERS is the white elephant pertaining to this new terminal as its on land they want to build office towers on. Easy to build towers over a bus terminal if the will to do so is there. With ML having its hand in this mess, I expect to see the same mess and thinking with the city always behind the curb for building what is needed in the first place.

Mississauga drop the ball more than once for this area. Not willing to spend $$ for the hockey and sport complex, it got built in no man zone where cars are the only option to get to it today and transit sucking..

What was supposed to be Mississauga Downtown 21 plan vision, is not going to happen. It will be a centre and that all it going to be with no true Downtown until the mall is a 5th of the current size located on a number of floors with other development on top of it.
Sorry there was a plan to put the sports complex downtown at one point?

Sorry there was a plan to put the sports complex downtown at one point?
Yes when they were going to build the Heresy Centre now known as Paramount Fine Food Centre. The site was to be where Cineplex is now, but the city wasn't prepared to pay the extra million or 2 being asked for by the previous owners of the Squared One lands. Hazels stated this a few times in chambers as well after retiring. It wasn't something I was aware of until Hazel made the statement. It not easy to get to Paramount Fine Food Centre these days and a lot worse a decade ago by transit. You either must own a car, rent one, go with someone or take a cab if you want to see anything there as transit will not met your needs or the times.

There was talked not long ago about having a soccer stadium in that area, but it has die as far as I know and not a good location for the car folks.

Yes when they were going to build the Heresy Centre now known as Paramount Fine Food Centre. The site was to be where Cineplex is now, but the city wasn't prepared to pay the extra million or 2 being asked for by the previous owners of the Squared One lands. Hazels stated this a few times in chambers as well after retiring. It wasn't something I was aware of until Hazel made the statement. It not easy to get to Paramount Fine Food Centre these days and a lot worse a decade ago by transit. You either must own a car, rent one, go with someone or take a cab if you want to see anything there as transit will not met your needs or the times.

There was talked not long ago about having a soccer stadium in that area, but it has die as far as I know and not a good location for the car folks.
I am quite familiar with how annoying paramount centre is to get to. I went there once for a basketball game and once for a vaccine while being in and around Mississauga for a decade. By the way I love basketball but I agree it is annoying to get to so I’d rather not go. That said with all the new development downtown could we not see a new arena proposed to bring in concerts, games to the area. Paramount centre is 23 years old.

Well the truth of the matter is, the city centre terminal would have been much better located on Hurontario. But now we're getting half-baked solutions everywhere because Mississauga didnt look into relocating the bus terminal onto Hurontario.

In other words, there will be a half-baked MiWay transit terminal which is over-capacity, next to a half-baked city-centre LRT "station", next to a half-baked GO Bus "Terminal".

Sorry but Mississauga dropped the ball on this, whether you like it or not.
This doesn't change the fact that much of the transit development is West of Hurontario. It absolutely makes sense to have that loop there. Not all trains travelling on Hurontario needed to go through it, so the argument that it would've increased everyone's travel time is invalid.

Also, Mississauga dropped the ball long ago when it decided that the densest area in the city should be placed around a mall. Port Credit could've been made really incredible with all of that development and infrastructure spending, but alas, we're spending it to improve a mall parking lot.

Also, Mississauga dropped the ball long ago when it decided that the densest area in the city should be placed around a mall. Port Credit could've been made really incredible with all of that development and infrastructure spending, but alas, we're spending it to improve a mall parking lot.
Yeah, I second this. And Port Credit is right next to soon-to-be frequent, electrified regional rail. It's quite well located.

This doesn't change the fact that much of the transit development is West of Hurontario. It absolutely makes sense to have that loop there. Not all trains travelling on Hurontario needed to go through it, so the argument that it would've increased everyone's travel time is invalid.

The proposed loop still didn't make sense, since the routing was along Duke of York Blvd* where there are no residential buildings north of Burnhamthorpe. If a second line was built serving residents on Confederation / Burnhamthorpe / Rathburn, that would make more sense, but is there even a business case, when those residents could be served by buses?

*Do we still really need a street named after Prince "I can't sweat" Andrew?

To be fair, that is going to change. The Square One plans are for it to transform into a sea of towers.

At least there’s a long-serving, casually racist, nepotistic former mayor that they can name it for instead.

Not to mention how her move not to increase property tax for years and keep Mississauga's budget dependent on new development rather than using those funds for infrastructure improvements was asinine. She deprived the city of a very substantial amount of money that could've actually improved things. Instead, we have extremely dense areas around Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario where neither street has received any attention. Burnhamthorpe has a half assed MUP, and that's about it. A sad wasted opportunity. I despise her tenure as mayor.

Not to mention how her move not to increase property tax for years and keep Mississauga's budget dependent on new development rather than using those funds for infrastructure improvements was asinine. She deprived the city of a very substantial amount of money that could've actually improved things. Instead, we have extremely dense areas around Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario where neither street has received any attention. Burnhamthorpe has a half assed MUP, and that's about it. A sad wasted opportunity. I despise her tenure as mayor.
Mississauga following the American Ponzi Scheme...

The proposed loop still didn't make sense, since the routing was along Duke of York Blvd* where there are no residential buildings north of Burnhamthorpe. If a second line was built serving residents on Confederation / Burnhamthorpe / Rathburn, that would make more sense, but is there even a business case, when those residents could be served by buses?

*Do we still really need a street named after Prince "I can't sweat" Andrew?
Is that who it is named after? I assumed it was named after the guy who had ten thousand men of which he marched them up to the top of the hill and marched them down again. When they were up they were up, and when they were down they were down, and when their only half way up their neither up nor down.

Is that who it is named after? I assumed it was named after the guy who had ten thousand men of which he marched them up to the top of the hill and marched them down again. When they were up they were up, and when they were down they were down, and when their only half way up their neither up nor down.
He was one of several Dukes of York, prior to Prince Andrew the Queen's late father was the Duke of York before his older brother abdicated the throne.

He was one of several Dukes of York, prior to Prince Andrew the Queen's late father was the Duke of York before his older brother abdicated the throne.
When was that road in Mississauga named Duke of York? Edit - I did some deep searches, and the earliest I could find is a couple of casual mentions in 1989 in the Toronto Star - it didn't appear to be new then. But then I could find no further mentions until the mid-1990s! Easier since then with all the condo ads ...

Andrew didn't become Duke of York until 1986 - I'd assumed the road pre-dated that, and would have been named for his grandfather - our last King.

Last edited:

Back