Noticed today that new curbs and lane paving has taken place on the east side of Hurontario from the south side of Matheson to Britannia where construction took place. Looks like the curb is further to the east than before. Work going on the west side.

Once work is finish on the west side, the guide way work will get underway in, 2022 assuming no other underground work is require.

What is odd, is the removal of the medians for the sections leading up to the 403 overpass that still not pave after a few weeks. Part of the 403 median has been remove and pave which is still odd. 2022 will see the 403 overpass reduce to 4 lanes to allow the overpass to be rebuilt and that will be fun for drivers. I am assuming the areas that needs paving will be done once construction lights install and the rest of the bridge median is remove..

Otherwise, see no changes on Hurontario from Central Parkway to the 401.

I think its disappointing actually. Having a gap in the urban area like that along Hurontario just after it begins seems lame.
Not really since this was Port Credit outer core. Use to be an nice area with trees overhanging the road until commercial took over the street. I was for protecting this area as is until commercial took over the street and down grade it to the point you better tearing it down and buildings no taller than 10 story buildings that are not a building in the park and 100% residential.

I grew up in Mineola West. It’s a great area. It’s an oasis surrounded by the QEW to the north with Cooksville and Square One beyond, and very close to Port Credit just south of the tracks. With the multi million dollar homes in the area, I don’t see that changing.
Big lots though on Hurontario. I'd think that that would be easy and advantageous for developers to get their hands on, and put up towers.

With the severe limits on municipalities doing their own zoning these days, and being on a major transportation corridor, I'd assume it wouldn't be difficult to get approval through LPAT.

I get your pessimism but I was hoping the people who bought at eglinton and Hurontario were going to work in new business buildings around square one. Or is Mississauga always going to plan to shuttle people to Toronto?
Naturally, they will work all over Misssauga and the GTA. It is a fantasy to dream that everyone there will work at SQ1.

Naturally, they will work all over Misssauga and the GTA. It is a fantasy to dream that everyone there will work at SQ1.
Understood but the city should be building more office buildings in the city centre creating more job opportunities and places for people close by to work.

There are people who live right downtown Toronto and commute to the burbs. That does happen. However I would think most people who chose to live right downtown do so because work is close by. Similarly if Mississauga is going to build all these condos it should be doing its best to encourage those residents to work closer rather than farther away. Will there be exceptions, of course. But Mississauga needs to work on becoming its own city rather than a verticals suburb of Toronto.

Understood but the city should be building more office buildings in the city centre creating more job opportunities and places for people close by to work.

There are people who live right downtown Toronto and commute to the burbs. That does happen. However I would think most people who chose to live right downtown do so because work is close by. Similarly if Mississauga is going to build all these condos it should be doing its best to encourage those residents to work closer rather than farther away. Will there be exceptions, of course. But Mississauga needs to work on becoming its own city rather than a verticals suburb of Toronto.
The city can't force office development. There is cheap land and surface parking outside the core and that is where most office development is taking place. The City can offer some reduce cost to spur office development, but not going to do much when it been 30 years since the last office tower was built.

There is are a few 14 story office tower to be built at the north side of Sq One and a 30s for the Exchange place. There are 4 floors of office space in Parkside Village building that is mostly empty after 5 years being open.

Not everyone is an office worker and COVID-19 will see less working in an office tower now.

Rathburn is torn up and having a major impact on CCTT that the terminal will be close shortly with moving bus stops locations on Rathburn for the rest of the year.

As a note, TTC has refused to use the lands at Islington and Yonge/Sheppard for decade as they wanted office towers on them, but no one willing to have one built. CreatTO is now going to build affordable housing on them. The east lot at Kipling to to see residential development. Wilson Subway lot is to see 5 towers of affordable housing under phase 1 now,

The city can't force office development. There is cheap land and surface parking outside the core and that is where most office development is taking place. The City can offer some reduce cost to spur office development, but not going to do much when it been 30 years since the last office tower was built.

There is are a few 14 story office tower to be built at the north side of Sq One and a 30s for the Exchange place. There are 4 floors of office space in Parkside Village building that is mostly empty after 5 years being open.

Not everyone is an office worker and COVID-19 will see less working in an office tower now.

Rathburn is torn up and having a major impact on CCTT that the terminal will be close shortly with moving bus stops locations on Rathburn for the rest of the year.

As a note, TTC has refused to use the lands at Islington and Yonge/Sheppard for decade as they wanted office towers on them, but no one willing to have one built. CreatTO is now going to build affordable housing on them. The east lot at Kipling to to see residential development. Wilson Subway lot is to see 5 towers of affordable housing under phase 1 now,
All of these things you mention are good points. Could the city not incentivize condominium makers the way Toronto does with art projects. You submit a plan without a office component then the city limits your height but if you have an office component then they add an additional 20 floors of approval.

Working from home isn’t a concern to me because that will affect every city including Toronto.

Last edited:
Sauga has the second largest employment area in the country at Pearson. So it's a bit of a misnomer to say they're just a Toronto suburb.

Sauga has the second largest employment area in the country at Pearson. So it's a bit of a misnomer to say they're just a Toronto suburb.
Pearson came into existence because of Toronto. Mississauga barely had anything at that time. That's why it's called Toronto Pearson. Large airports are always in suburbs because land is cheaper there. I would not count employment at the airport under Mississauga's achievement. If they build the second airport at Pickering, it's not because Pickering is the place to be. It's because it just happens to have large vacant land and it's close to Toronto.

However, employment in and around MCC can definitely be credited to Mississauga because that's something Mississauga got on its own capacity.

Pearson came into existence because of Toronto. Mississauga barely had anything at that time. That's why it's called Toronto Pearson. Large airports are always in suburbs because land is cheaper there. I would not count employment at the airport under Mississauga's achievement. If they build the second airport at Pickering, it's not because Pickering is the place to be. It's because it just happens to have large vacant land and it's close to Toronto.

However, employment in and around MCC can definitely be credited to Mississauga because that's something Mississauga got on its own capacity.

I agree. There are tons of office buildings in the south east of the airport and also a big hub of offices in the Meadowvale area. Those building rely mostly on workers driving to work (some might be using TTC and/or Mississauga Transit) so I don’t see the attraction for companies to build offices at MCC. Smaller employers just lease relatively cheaper spaces in strip malls/plazas.

This has gone off rail and needs to get back on track.

Have said that, you have all of Eglinton east of Eastgate on both side with larger empty land that is to be use for office development. There been a number of large office complexes built since the opening of the Transitway with 95% plus workers coming by car.

To have office towers in MCC that are taller than the current 25 story, you are decades away from seeing one with an odd one from time to time. What offices used to be and what they are today will be something different down the road.

Land use is a must for not only this LRT, but everything and we continue to make the same mistake for MCC over and over with this LRT being a problem how to service MCC than Hurontario.

ONGOING CONSTRUCTION:​

Median Removals and the Installation of Temporary Traffic Signals​

11cf5cf1-79f3-6e70-7b50-359ced7cde87.jpg
The removal of the remaining medians continues at the HWY 403 bridge as part of the structural bridge. This work is currently taking place at night when traffic levels are reduced.

Utilities, Roadways and Temporary Bus Platforms​

Utility works are currently progressing along Rathburn Road. This includes upgrades and relocation activities for sanitary installations.

4cb910c8-87dc-379d-b39c-cc26c1af1347.jpg
Utility works are expected to begin along Hurontario Street later this year. Crews are working double shifts at the City Centre Bus Terminal in order to accelerate the works and minimize impacts to Mississauga’s busiest transit hub.

To reduce the impacts of transit service disruptions during the day, some of this work will take place at night in coordination with MiWay. To minimize disruption to transit users, temporary bus platforms have also been installed along Rathburn Road in the area between City Centre Drive and Hammerson Drive.

Line painting for new traffic lanes configurations and the installation of temporary bus platforms are planned for November from Matthews Gate to Square One Drive. We encourage motorists to plan for delays. Please look out for signage along the roadway in advance of changes to traffic lane configuration.

Crews are currently working in the area between Fairview Road and Matthews Gate and are working towards overnight work at Central Parkway in early to mid-November.

Crews will take the following measures to limit overnight noise:
  • Regular active monitoring of noise and vibration to ensure they do not exceed provincial and municipal thresholds.
  • To muffle the noise created by portable generators, crews have encased the generators with a plywood barrier.
  • Crews have also been scheduling noisier activities towards the beginning of the night shift, whenever possible, to minimize disruption to neighbouring residents.

Safety​

Safety is our number one priority and a shared responsibility. Please note and follow construction signage as you walk, cycle or drive along Hurontario Street. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to Metrolinx Community Relations team at 416-202-7500 or email Peel@metrolinx.com.

For more updates and information on this project, and to get the latest news on what’s happening in Peel, subscribe to our newsletter: www.metrolinx.com/hurontariolrt

COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT:​

6a63c740-402a-9aca-6139-9d756b8ddf2d.jpg
Our second Community Canvass of the year started this month, giving us a chance to touch base with businesses and commuters at temporary bus platforms along the corridor.

The purpose of this canvass is to find out how we can support businesses and commuters through construction, and what they are most excited about as the Hurontario LRT project progresses! So far, canvassers were able to engage with over 250 businesses, and over 100 commuters.

As construction progresses, we’ll be putting up “Shop Local” signage along Hurontario Street in addition to our directional signage and businesses are open signage.
Our Peel Community Relations team will continue to help residents and businesses virtually, but if you would like an in-person appointment, let us know via email at Peel@metrolinx.com. For more updates and information on this project, and to get the latest news on what’s happening in Peel, subscribe to our newsletter: www.metrolinx.com/hurontariolrt.

Back