8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Sky of Blue

Member Bio
Reaction score
My building in Fort McMurray went under in the flood and is now out in the river like an island. I was evacuated yesterday. Got out with my cat and decided staying in Calgary was a better bet than in a evacuation shelter with thousands of people in the middle of a pandemic.

My building in Fort McMurray went under in the flood and is now out in the river like an island. I was evacuated yesterday. Got out with my cat and decided staying in Calgary was a better bet than in a evacuation shelter with thousands of people in the middle of a pandemic.
If you have insurance coverage for it I recommend the Beltline Residence Inn. Coming up on 50 days for us now!

We’ve lost the Downtown core and most of the services for the town. I lost almost everything after the Wildfire, and now it’s looking like I’ve lost everything again. I surrender. I will be starting my new life in Calgary a little bit earlier than planned. My building is 20 feet underwater and it’s still rising. I can only see the top half now.

View from my new digs. I’ve set myself up with a camp chair and inflatable bed ?
DCD80313-40BC-46EC-89BD-F995B6B2A71A.jpeg

I rented a unit in Chocolate and it’s actually very strategically located for easy walk up 1st to Downtown or 17th Ave or to the Stampede grounds and the train. I think I will love living here. Still camping in the unit until I learn the fate of my stuff in Fort McMurray.

Sorry to hear about your place in Fort McMurray, can’t believe how much damage the floods have caused so quickly. Fort Mac can’t seem to catch a break these days.

Holy moly. I’ve never lived in a place with one way streets and there are bike lanes as well. I’m so confused. I’m driving because I’m too nervous to take transit with the Covid-19 situation. Is there some general rules to all of this? Particularly with crossing those bike lanes? Help a lost girl out here.

A bike lane is like a car lane. Just respect it like a car lane, and respect bikes like you would tiny cement trucks. When bikes aren't in bike lanes, act like they create their own lane.
So if I want to park on the right side of a one way, or turn do I move into the bike lane, or just cross it?

So if I want to park on the right side of a one way, or turn do I move into the bike lane, or just cross it?
It’s confusing often even for people who have lived here for a while. Typically the bike lane will change from A solid line to a dotted line when you get close to an intersection, and that dotted line area is where you’re allowed to cross over the bike lane. The cyclist has the right away, so I treat it as if I’m changing into another lane, and have to wait until it’s clear.

It’s confusing often even for people who have lived here for a while. Typically the bike lane will change from A solid line to a dotted line when you get close to an intersection, and that dotted line area is where you’re allowed to cross over the bike lane. The cyclist has the right away, so I treat it as if I’m changing into another lane, and have to wait until it’s clear.
Good thing I’m practicing big city driving while it’s mostly empty ??Thank you. That makes sense.

As already mentioned the best thing is to always think of the bike lane as a car lane. I have occasionally seen people go to make a right and cut off a cyclist because they are probably thinking they are in the far right lane and forgot to shoulder check.

Welcome to Calgary!

Back