39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Since there is a general discussion on the 90’s, I thought I’d contribute this.

This is the Toronto Band ‘Parachute Club’

The video was shot in the Portuguese neighbourhoods around Augusta and Queen and on Wellington St. south of the (then) new Roy Thompson Hall. You won’t see this much open sky around Roy Thompson Hall again.

Since this is Urban Toronto...

It’s very Canadian. The song contains references to peace. The backdrop was the deployment of American Pershing II missiles with nuclear warheads in West Germany by President Ronald Reagan. This was very controversial in then West Germany. Helmut Kohl had just become the German Federal Chancellor. The deployment of the missiles was a line drawn in the sand by the west against a then adventuresome and emboldened Soviet Union under Leonid Brezhnev. The new dynamic leadership in the west was President Reagan, Prime Minister Thatcher and Chancellor Kohl, and soon Canada’s Prime Minister Mulroney. Each of them came to government with a mandate to deal with failed economics from the 1970s which lead to inflation and staggeringly high interest rates to start the decade.

The standoff in Germany between the west and the Soviet Union lead to cultural developments such as Nena’s Luftballons, and political breakthroughs later in the decade like the Green Party in Germany.

Pierre Trudeau was still Prime Minister and we were still comfortably squishy Canadians after twenty years of Liberal government in Ottawa. That would change beginning in 1984 with the election of the Mulroney government and - heavens - radical new policies like privatizing Canadian National and Air Canada, and Transport Canada putting airports in the hands of local airport authorities.

Meanwhile, the lead singer of Parachute Club was Lorraine Segato - an out lesbian. What a radical time this was. ;)

Last edited:
Started this thread because I mentioned this band in the 90’s thread. That was the wrong place.

Psychedelic Furs - Forever Now - Love My Way

Right place.

There's Marcel Météore as well.

At one point, he was a very famous francophone rock star. Nowadays, he's only in a French textbook from 1980.

Started this thread because I mentioned this band in the 90’s thread. That was the wrong place.

Psychedelic Furs - Forever Now - Love My Way

Right place.

The Psychedelic Furs' Heaven video is quintessentially 80s to me - iconic imagery that implanted on a young me way back then. Probably because snippets of the video featured prominently in MuchMusic ads in those early years.

EuphoricBrightImpala-size_restricted.gif

Doesnt it seem the 1970s, 80s, 90s, each of those decades seemed to last forever ir a very very long time whereas starting with year 2000, 2010 those 2 decades went by so quickly as if 2010 anc even 2019 is still year 2000. Does this make sense??

Doesnt it seem the 1970s, 80s, 90s, each of those decades seemed to last forever ir a very very long time whereas starting with year 2000, 2010 those 2 decades went by so quickly as if 2010 anc even 2019 is still year 2000. Does this make sense??

Yes, it really did. 2010's has gone by so fast compared to other decades, although, the 90s went by a bit fast as well. The 70s was one slow decade ( sacrasm ).

Yes, it really did. 2010's has gone by so fast compared to other decades, although, the 90s went by a bit fast as well. The 70s was one slow decade ( sacrasm ).
Even with technology, not much changed from 2000 to 2019 maby?? Fashion and hair style wise 2019 is exactly the same as year 2000, women look exactly the same whereas 1970s, 80s, 90s they looked totally different per decade. I think even with music didnt change much at all between 2000- 2019,

Back