39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

jozl

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I've recently read a couple of encouraging articles in the local media about Andy Byford's management style. One article stated that he would no longer tolerate hand written, sloppy signage posted on TTC property. He was referring to all of the makeshift signs that TTC staff sticks up willy-nilly. The second snippet (wasn't a full article) simply stated that Byford wants a DRL NOW. Can anyone confirm this? Is this guy for real? We can only hope.

He certainly seems like a breath of fresh air. It won't be an easy job to change an organization like the TTC, but I'm optimistic.

If he can only get the signage under control that in and of itself would be an amazing achievement.

I don't know much about Byford but from what I've seen he is the right man for the job. It looks like the TTC is in good hands.

Regarding the DRL, I have a feeling that partly because of Byford construction of the line may begin within the decade. City council is now taking a serious look at fudnding sources for transit. I am fairly confident that Byford would support using any funds gendered to build the DRL.

The thing is that Byford could probably have done much of this as COO. It's just more visible now that he's CEO. The relationship with council and commission is what's important in his current post. The media will love him if he can keep finding stuff like in-service train cleaning, wireless CC terminals to cut Metropass sales queues etc - it's the kind of fluff they thrive on while having the happy coincidence of being useful to riders.

Now... how can we turn his attention to the resolution of the timed-transfer "trial" and introduction of all-door streetcar boarding on St Clair without waiting for the Flexities to arrive? A small change, requiring only deployment of inspectors and appropriate visual/audio signage "please keep your transfer while on the streetcar" while promoting St Clair as a premium service not a "disaster".

The real question is if the ends justified the means. Was it worth firing Webster and paying him off to get Byford in early? There is obviously a lot going on behind closed doors, did the Ford allies expect him to be so focused and clear on his goals and his apparent determination to accomplish them? Was Webster that unconcerned about the TTC's presentation or other initiatives that those councillors wanted to see him gone, regardless of his views on the LRT/subway debate?

I certainly expect him to be an excellent public servant, at least as good as Webster if not better. If he turns out to be so good that he puts Webster to shame... damn, I hate giving Ford credit where credit is due. :(

I believe this perception that Byford is better than Webster has a bit to do with the fact that he is more media friendly and customer communication focused than Webster was. Webster was a good manager, but he left the communication aspect of projects to staff. Webster started many good projects that contribute to the long-term operational healthiness of the TTC.

Byford seems more proactive and is more involved with the media. He seems very customers focused and wants the TTC to show a good face to them. The only worry is that will the day-to-day projects essential for operations start to lag since he may not be focused on them as much as Webster was. These are the things customers rarely see, but are essential to the smooth operation of the TTC.

I'm encouraged in that Byford seems to have a holistic vision of mass transit. The TTC, as we've come to know it, is an organization that can barley struggle through its day to day operations let alone even considering a new broad vision of its mandate. It is a classic case of a moribund entity that needs to be fixed from the top down. This quasi military, union soaked dinosaur needs a new brain. I hope Byford is it.

If Byford can't fix the TTC, then I suggest we merge it with Metrolinx. Otherwise there's no hope.

If Byford can't fix the TTC, then I suggest we merge it with Metrolinx. Otherwise there's no hope.

Bad idea. If we did that the TTC would be held accountable to everyone in Ontario, not just people in Toronto. Do you honestly think that the TTC would be in better shape if it were held accountable to people in Thunder Bay or Ottawa?

Why would you want TTC staff running GO trains? The small organization almost never takes over the large organization, regardless of what is official.

Why would you want TTC staff running GO trains? The small organization almost never takes over the large organization, regardless of what is official.

Because TTC looks at a bigger picture than GO.

GO only see themselves as long haulers while I and other see GO being local, mid express and long haul.

More stations are needed not only within Toronto, but the whole system and this is were your local and mid express come into play. I was asked years ago by Metrolinx if more stations should be built and said yes and gave a list of a few location. I still have never finished writing a report on this as Metrolinx keeps changing direction.

As for small companies taking over larger companies, it does happen for various reason.

Because TTC looks at a bigger picture than GO.

GO only see themselves as long haulers while I and other see GO being local, mid express and long haul.

This is an excellent answer to the question. Coruscanti Cognoscente, however, has different intentions in his merger.

As for small companies taking over larger companies, it does happen for various reason.

Yes, best example is Disney and Pixar.

TTC has an overwhemingly large number of staff compared to Metrolinx though. I could see Metrolinx having an impact on the planning and engineering departments at TTC but there would be no staff joining operations nor does Metrolinx (GO) have any experience with high frequency operations to be able to provide input if they did toss 1000 staff into that mix.

I believe this perception that Byford is better than Webster has a bit to do with the fact that he is more media friendly and customer communication focused than Webster was. Webster was a good manager, but he left the communication aspect of projects to staff. Webster started many good projects that contribute to the long-term operational healthiness of the TTC.

I'm mystified as to why people keep trumpeting the line that Gary Webster was a good manager. On his watch the TTC became dirtier and basically went backwards in all respects. plus he was like the invisible man, i bet most people had never seen or heard of him until he got fired.

A good manager puts in place good people and processes and strives for constant improvement. Andy Byford seems to have done more in his first couple of weeks on the job than Webster did in years

Back