8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
So Ive been living at Jarvis and Dundas for almost a month now, and have noticed some major changes in the past few weeks that signal better times for the area. Two small bars that were once hangouts for homeless and sketchy people have closed in the past two weeks. (New Moon Bar and Good Tymez) Some cheap looking restaurants have also closed their doors. Today, the supermarket on the corner of Jarvis and Dundas is being emptied. At Jarvis/Shuter, there is a proposal for a 20 storey hotel.

Do you think these places will just be replaced with the same stuff that was there before, or is this a sign of things changing? I took a walk late last night and noticed a huge difference on the street. Hopefully things will stay this way.

I think the whole East side is going through some changes. New Condo projects coupled with the Regent Park redevelopment added together with an overwhelming number of people who want to live downtown near a subway line = big changes.

It's going to happen slow, though, and probably work its way up from the south. When my girlfriend and I walk home from the Dundas St subway station, we tend to still avoid walking down Dundas E. Shuter Street is a lot quieter.

Change is happening, though.

I think the whole East side is going through some changes. New Condo projects coupled with the Regent Park redevelopment added together with an overwhelming number of people who want to live downtown near a subway line = big changes.

It's going to happen slow, though, and probably work its way up from the south. When my girlfriend and I walk home from the Dundas St subway station, we tend to still avoid walking down Dundas E. Shuter Street is a lot quieter.

Change is happening, though.

Thats funny. I avoid walking down Shuter street and always take Dundas E. Then again, im only going to Jarvis. I wouldn't want to walk down Dundas to Sherbourne.

I'm at Jarvis/Carlton, and last night after coming back from a late show with my fiancee I noticed that there weren't any prostitutes out around midnight. When I first moved into the area three years ago there would always be a dozen on the corners around that time, but thinking about it now I don't think I've seen any this summer.

Carlton has also cleaned up alot in that time. I think the combination of Radio City, The Met, knocking down those old apartments at Carlton/Mutual, and even the Regent Park redo has all made an impact.

I think it's indisputable that the downtown eastside, as it were, is changing in a big way. But gentrification there is going to be *much* slower than on the west, due to the simple presence of so much public housing and social service infrastructure, which really isn't going anywhere. That's not at all a bad thing, but what it means is that as opposed to traditional TO kick-out-all-or-most-of-the-poor gentrification (viz. Little Italy, Kensington, Queen West) there's going to be a real mix of incomes for the foreseeable future. You see a lot of that in New York, for example.

Pic from the dusty Cathedral Square thread... snapshot of some of the activity.

If you toss in Distillery, Regent Park and West Donlands, one might suggest that east of Yonge all the way to the valley is experiencing a truly remarkable trnsformation.

The single most exciting prospect for Jarvis itself, is the rumoured departure of the Moss Park armoury which could potentially host an entire new neighbourhood.

SNAPSHOT-CATHSQUARE.jpg

Where did you read about the departure of the Moss Park Armoury? That would surprise the hell out of me, considering that there is more investment being pumped into the CF in recent years...seems kind of counter productive.

Regardless, the downtown east side has definitely seen some nice projects as of late. I like the mixed use (market/subsidized housing) idea. From what i've been told, the St. Lawrence area is about 30% affordable housing, and the model has been adapted by other North American cities.

No, I definitely recall it as a maybe/possibility not a what if.

The footprint is huge and I think a new neighbourhood would animate the area far better than more green and taupe... of course this plan would leave downtown east of Yonge vulnerable to attack.

"but what it means is that as opposed to traditional TO kick-out-all-or-most-of-the-poor gentrification (viz. Little Italy, Kensington, Queen West) there's going to be a real mix of incomes for the foreseeable future."

I don't believe this is an accurate interpretation of the present demographics nor the demographic changes occuring in those neighbourhoods. The absolute number of low income people is not changing. It is the muddling middle-class that is cashing out and being replaced by higher income families and businesses willing to invest more capital in their operations.

Ah, Jarvis St. was never the same after the Warwick Hotel closed...oops, I guess I am dating myself.

The area around Dundas/Sherbourne/Jarvis is still pretty scary. I looked at the rentals at Sherbourne/Dundas 2 years ago. Yikes! I had friends that lived in that complex in the early '90s - beautiful! Sunken living rooms, nice balconies. It had a nice indoor pool and gym complex. Very run down now. Too bad, really.
I get accosted by sketchy looking types at Jarvis/Richmond almost every day on my way to work. I had to bellow at one yesterday to stay away from my car as he approached with dirty squeegee and water bottle.

Not sure I'd want to plunk down 400k for a condo in that area just yet.

Ah, Jarvis St. was never the same after the Warwick Hotel closed...oops, I guess I am dating myself.

The area around Dundas/Sherbourne/Jarvis is still pretty scary. I looked at the rentals at Sherbourne/Dundas 2 years ago. Yikes! I had friends that lived in that complex in the early '90s - beautiful! Sunken living rooms, nice balconies. It had a nice indoor pool and gym complex. Very run down now. Too bad, really.
I get accosted by sketchy looking types at Jarvis/Richmond almost every day on my way to work. I had to bellow at one yesterday to stay away from my car as he approached with dirty squeegee and water bottle.

Not sure I'd want to plunk down 400k for a condo in that area just yet.

Im renting at Dundas & Jarvis and havn't run into any problems. Sure theres the occasional sketchy person walking around, but since when did walking around hurt anyone? Ill agree that Dundas/Sherbourne is a disaster though. I was looking at the same apartments you mentioned and have to say, they are a huge dump. Quite sad indeed considering how nice the layouts and amenities are.

I like it so much where I am, that im already thinking about extending my stay here for another year and maybe eventually permanently moving to this area.

Back