News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Wow, this is incredible sad! Jason's contributions to this "hobby" were invaluable. He provided some of the best vantage points and updates. I had a chance to meet him in the summer of 2016 at Sherbourne Commons. I had just taken an interest in drones, and I saw somebody flying their drone, so I went to ask him a few questions. He happily answered and gave me some great details and information. I asked him if he knew about Urban Toronto, and he said he did, so I asked him if he knew jasonzed, since he posted more drone photos than just about anyone else. To my surprise, he said he WAS jasonzed! I told him I was a big fan and really enjoyed seeing his posts. He was so humble and kind.

It is so sad to know he's been suffering this whole time 😔 I'm sorry, first and foremost, to him, and secondly, to his loved ones, whom I'm sure miss him very much. Karen, thank you so much for that wonderful post in memory of your twin brother. He will be missed here, and I'm sure even more so by you and your family. My condolences to you, and your family 😭 Take care of yourselves!

My apologies for the delayed reply. In response to your email below, the City does have a Street Name Policy, which outlines the process required to honour the name of an individual. The City’s website provides a brief overview here: Naming a Street in Mississauga.

I have suggested to Councillor Kovac that the best place to start would be for my team to pre-screen the proposed name to see if it is possible to put it forward to the Street Names Committee. If it is, it may also be possible to have the name reviewed by the Committee to see if it may be accepted. After that, we can revisit what other requirements have to be satisfied.

I will keep you posted regarding the preliminary review, but please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Kind regards,

cid:image001.png@01D2B1EB.68298C70

Emma Calvert, P.Eng.
Manager, Development Engineering & Construction
T 905-615-3200 ext.4343
emma.calvert@mississauga.ca

Hello everyone. I just wanted to touch base about Jason. Things are still horribly sad and I miss my brother more and more everyday. I haven't been on but wanted to reach out and tell you all again how wonderful and heart warming it is to read all your posts. I had at first hesitated about speaking the truth but so many of you have reached out not only to express your condolences but to share your own pain and hardships. More importantly, for those who are suffering to any degree, I praise you for carrying on with your healing journey despite how difficult it may be. Thank you for still all being here.

I am still waiting for restrictions to lift to have a celebration of life for Jason where I can showcase his many talents and accomplishments throughout his life. Soon, as they say, we forget about their death and remember the life!! This will still take place in Mississauga and preferably where I will erect a bench in his honour. I will keep everyone posted! Whether one decides to attend in person or in thought.... I feel it is important to ensure everyone on this sites is aware. Jason's final resting place will be in Montreal at Mount Royal Cemetery at that service will be held in September. Kindest of regards to all, Karen

Just a note to let everyone know that one of UrbanToronto's most prolific contributors, @Jasonzed, passed away on Sunday. Jason Zytynsky's photography, particularly from aerial drones, provided amazing images to UrbanToronto threads, especially Mississauga ones, very faithfully for years, and we expect that many of you will be as saddened by this news are we are.

We do not have particulars about Jason's passing or life at this point, but we are in contact with a colleague of his who will be providing us with more information in the coming days. We will prepare a fuller tribute at that time.

This was @Jasonzed's last posted image, from Saturday in the Pinnacle One Yonge thread.

img_20210501_114107_428-jpg.316371

Craig White
Hello everyone. I just wanted to touch base about Jason. Things are still horribly sad and I miss my brother more and more everyday. I haven't been on but wanted to reach out and tell you all again how wonderful and heart warming it is to read all your posts. I had at first hesitated about speaking the truth but so many of you have reached out not only to express your condolences but to share your own pain and hardships. More importantly, for those who are suffering to any degree, I praise you for carrying on with your healing journey despite how difficult it may be. Thank you for still all being here.

I am still waiting for restrictions to lift to have a celebration of life for Jason where I can showcase his many talents and accomplishments throughout his life. Soon, as they say, we forget about their death and remember the life!! This will still take place in Mississauga (perhaps by City Hall ... a park.. somewhere informal) and preferably where I will erect a bench in his honour/memory.

I will keep everyone posted! Whether one decides to attend in person or in thought.... I feel it is important to ensure everyone on this site is aware of that celebration. Jason's final resting place will be in Montreal at Mount Royal Cemetery where our parents are and at that service will be held in September. I will keep you posted.

Kindest of regards to all, Karen

Wow, this is incredible sad! Jason's contributions to this "hobby" were invaluable. He provided some of the best vantage points and updates. I had a chance to meet him in the summer of 2016 at Sherbourne Commons. I had just taken an interest in drones, and I saw somebody flying their drone, so I went to ask him a few questions. He happily answered and gave me some great details and information. I asked him if he knew about Urban Toronto, and he said he did, so I asked him if he knew jasonzed, since he posted more drone photos than just about anyone else. To my surprise, he said he WAS jasonzed! I told him I was a big fan and really enjoyed seeing his posts. He was so humble and kind.

It is so sad to know he's been suffering this whole time 😔 I'm sorry, first and foremost, to him, and secondly, to his loved ones, whom I'm sure miss him very much. Karen, thank you so much for that wonderful post in memory of your twin brother. He will be missed here, and I'm sure even more so by you and your family. My condolences to you, and your family 😭 Take care of yourselves!
I just read your post... I am sorry as I have not been on. You touched my heart and made my cry and smile at the same time. I AM JASONZED lol..that is a really cool story. Yes Jason lived an amazing life and truly enjoyed this site. I actually never appreciated his passion for droning as I should have... he was my brother... :) He did struggle these last 6 months more so I suppose and clearly was conflicted...but stayed true to this passion and perhaps this is some of what kept him hopeful to heal until the end.... Work and his passions kept him moving forward.. Thank you for your kind words. I will keep everyone posted re his celebration of life.

My apologies for the delayed reply. In response to your email below, the City does have a Street Name Policy, which outlines the process required to honour the name of an individual. The City’s website provides a brief overview here: Naming a Street in Mississauga.

I have suggested to Councillor Kovac that the best place to start would be for my team to pre-screen the proposed name to see if it is possible to put it forward to the Street Names Committee. If it is, it may also be possible to have the name reviewed by the Committee to see if it may be accepted. After that, we can revisit what other requirements have to be satisfied.

I will keep you posted regarding the preliminary review, but please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Kind regards,

View attachment 325146

Emma Calvert, P.Eng.
Manager, Development Engineering & Construction
T 905-615-3200 ext.4343
emma.calvert@mississauga.ca
Thank you Emma for all your efforts. I have been in touch as well with the city to obtain a bench in his honour somewhere. He lived in Mississauga longer than Montreal :) I can be also contacted through this site or through Craig White or my email at kjodiezedd@gmail.com if need be. Karen

Dear Jodie,

I have been a member on here since 2000. I have rarely posted in 21 years as I am not in the know for development in the city as per details...I read it every day to inform myself from those who are far more knowledgeable. Today, I have to post. I’ve learned so much from the wonderful people on here. Your brother was one of those people. Where others posted the info I wanted to know, Jason provided me with the visuals that captured that in all the stunning glory only his creative mind and keen eye could capture. When I read of his passing, I wanted to find comfort in reviewing all I think it was 157 pages of photos and videos. Astounding legacy! He won’t be equaled! His work is unparalleled on this, my favourite website. I’ve been from the dark side of depression/anxiety/panic attacks to the happy side. It breaks my heart to know that he came through too, but covid took him back. Covid has been challenging for everyone, but it’s important to reach out to those more vulnerable to its insidious mental/emotional effects. I have been doing that for others because I’ve weathered this longer than most. I had life threatening surgery in Feb last year, but had to be locked down to prepare since Nov 2019. Yes, I’ve been in lockdown 18 months. It’s been difficult at times, but I remain an optimist that we can get through it. I semi-retired last June. I was a teacher, but I guess I still am as I was recalled in October to supply teach. I worked every day that schools were actually open as there was such a need. I had every intention to contact Jason and introduce myself. I bought an SLR camera and some fancy lenses for it. He was tech and media savvy....I’m not. I was going to ask him if I could pay him for lessons on how to use it and go out and take pics to post on here. I wish I had done that. in closing, I had a soft spot for him because his handle was Jasonzed. My last name starts with a zed and my students called me Mr. Zed. There are very few zed names around. We were always the last in class to be called upon. I wish you all the comfort, love, and healing in time. I can tell from your responses on here that he was so very blessed to have such a loving and caring sister. And though the time should have been longer, you were also blessed to have him. I wish I knew him personally and my regret about that will always be there, but I feel blessed by pseudo knowing him through our mutual love of the GTA and the amazing work he shared with people like me.

My deepest condolences to all of your family.
Hello! Firstly, I am sorry I had not responded sooner. I did read your message through my email but time has just slipped away from me. THANK YOU so much for posting your message. Jason would have absolutely helped you and guided you. He would have been thrilled and would not have charged you lol. He was very generous that way. He would bring EVERYONE gifts when he visited family and friends from framed photos of his favourite work to cookies cakes and nik nacks! Yes, Jason struggled at times with anxiety and panic attacks as so many I have come to learn do. And yes, I believe this last lock down and covid perpetuating his recent symptoms did not help. While I am a retired police officer and have experience with suicides, attempted suicide, and personally have suffered from varying degrees of anxiety and depression (thus the retirement last year... it was time for a mental and physical shift) it was difficult to see Jason go through this over the last few months. I never would have thought this would happen. But it has and I, like you, will continue to speak about it, help those around me and draw awareness to this awful illness.

I was a strong advocate of self care and mental health through work and what has happened to Jason will now be part of my own legacy in continuing to help others heal>

A teacher eh?? Wonderful. And Mr Zed... cool. Yes our last name was the last in the Montreal phone book or decades and yes always called last in class :)

Thank you kindly for your kind words about Jason and his work. It appears I did not appreciate the impact he had on others to this extent. His nieces and nephew are finding it amazing to read.

Very sad to hear of Jason's passing. Always appreciated his lofty pictures of the city and the effort he put into getting the perfect shot regardless of weather or time of year. This site will be smaller without him.
It was amazing how he got his shots, you are right, regardless of weather or location. Thank you for your warm thoughts and kind message.

Hello! Firstly, I am sorry I had not responded sooner. I did read your message through my email but time has just slipped away from me. THANK YOU so much for posting your message. Jason would have absolutely helped you and guided you. He would have been thrilled and would not have charged you lol. He was very generous that way. He would bring EVERYONE gifts when he visited family and friends from framed photos of his favourite work to cookies cakes and nik nacks! Yes, Jason struggled at times with anxiety and panic attacks as so many I have come to learn do. And yes, I believe this last lock down and covid perpetuating his recent symptoms did not help. While I am a retired police officer and have experience with suicides, attempted suicide, and personally have suffered from varying degrees of anxiety and depression (thus the retirement last year... it was time for a mental and physical shift) it was difficult to see Jason go through this over the last few months. I never would have thought this would happen. But it has and I, like you, will continue to speak about it, help those around me and draw awareness to this awful illness.

I was a strong advocate of self care and mental health through work and what has happened to Jason will now be part of my own legacy in continuing to help others heal>

A teacher eh?? Wonderful. And Mr Zed... cool. Yes our last name was the last in the Montreal phone book or decades and yes always called last in class :)

Thank you kindly for your kind words about Jason and his work. It appears I did not appreciate the impact he had on others to this extent. His nieces and nephew are finding it amazing to read.
Hi Karen…..I apologize for starting my message with Jodie….I thought that was your name. Every day I get on this site and every day I think of Jason and you and your family. You have responded to everyone so personally in an extremely difficult time. I have one sister and I know if she did that for me, I’d be so proud of her. Jason would be very proud of you! Jason’s passing left holes in many people’s lives in differing ways. Though I didn’t know him personally, I truly connected with his interest in urban planning. I felt I knew him personally through his work. I wish I had. I just have to share something I heard today and I immediately thought of Jason. I'm paraphrasing….”It’s not the love we feel in our own hearts that makes us unique, rather it’s the love others have for us and express that makes us special”. I hope all those who have shared our loss of Jason will continue to bring you some measure of comfort. That is a huge, yet only one small, part of his legacy! 🙂

Hi Everyone, Karen Zytynsky (@Jodiezed) has passed on the following information to us.

Jason's funeral will be streamed at 3 PM on Sunday, August 29 at this address; https://funeraweb.tv/en/diffusions/35506

If you are in Montreal and might wish to attend the viewing…

Remembering Jason
Mount Royal Cemetery Funeral Complex
Sunday, August 29th, 2021
Viewing - 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Chapel Service 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Due to public health restrictions* Chapel service is BY INVITATION ONLY*

I would like to extend a warm invitation for you to join us in celebrating Jason's extraordinary life. We would, as would Jason, be honoured to see you. The viewing is open to all guests but due to covid restrictions kindly keep in mind that masks are required and no more than 50 people can be in the viewing room at one time. If you plan on attending the viewing, kindly let the family know at kjodiezedd@gmail.com.

We'll have more announcements about honouring @Jasonzed soon.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, Karen Zytynsky (@Jodiezed) has passed on the following information to us.

Jason's funeral will be streamed at 3 PM on Sunday, August 29 at this address; https://funeraweb.tv/en/diffusions/35506

If you are in Montreal and might wish to attend the viewing…

Remembering Jason
Mount Royal Cemetery Funeral Complex
Sunday, August 29th, 2021
Viewing - 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Chapel Service 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Due to public health restrictions* Chapel service is BY INVITATION ONLY*

I would like to extend a warm invitation for you to join us in celebrating Jason's extraordinary life. We would, as would Jason, be honoured to see you. The viewing is open to all guests but due to covid restrictions kindly keep in mind that masks are required and no more than 50 people can be in the viewing room at one time. If you plan on attending the viewing, kindly let the family know at kjodiezedd@gmail.com.

We'll have more announcements about honouring @Jasonzed soon.

Thank you Craig..for posting the info. I hope everyone here is doing well and that the summer has been gracious to all. The memorial bench and plaque to be placed at the Queen Elizabeth Jubilee Gardens has been ordered and am told it should arrive in the coming months. Again, once arrived, I would like to have a memorial/dedication service for Jason at the gardens at that time. I will be in touch. Karen

Thank you Craig..for posting the info. I hope everyone here is doing well and that the summer has been gracious to all. The memorial bench and plaque to be placed at the Queen Elizabeth Jubilee Gardens has been ordered and am told it should arrive in the coming months. Again, once arrived, I would like to have a memorial/dedication service for Jason at the gardens at that time. I will be in touch. Karen
Hi Karen,

This is the one off Living Arts Drive and Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga and not the one in downtown Toronto, correct? I want to be there for the dedication. I think of Jason often when flying and miss seeing his great images.

Back