News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

For anyone who would like to reread the front page tribute we published last year, it is here.

It would be good to see people at the dedication on Sunday, 1 PM in the Jubilee Garden right in front of Mississauga City Hall. If you're coming, maybe drop a note here to say so? Of course, you can just show up…

We are thinking of heading to a place afterwards to chat longer. Anyone who lives in the area have a recommendation? Searching "Pub" on Google Maps doesn't turn up anything one can walk to in a couple of minutes. Maybe there's a place in Square One that would make sense? Please put suggestions in this thread!

Craig
There is a pub called Abbey Road Pub and Patio (Jason LOVED the Beatles) at 3200 Erin Mills Parkway in the Millway Shopping Centre ten min away, This would work! If this appeals to you I can call and make some sort of reservation?

There is a pub called Abbey Road Pub and Patio (Jason LOVED the Beatles) at 3200 Erin Mills Parkway in the Millway Shopping Centre ten min away, This would work! If this appeals to you I can call and make some sort of reservation?
We don't have a full idea of how many people are coming, and which are driving, which are taking transit, but we know that some are taking transit, and I am concerned that the distance may be difficult for those on transit, and would prefer a place in walking distance for that reason.

I am out of town until Thursdays to check on a few places around City Hall for a met. There is 3 locations I know of and want to make sure which one would be the best one
@drum118, what do you think of the Gabby's at Confederation Parkway and Princess Royal Dr? It's just a block west of the City Hall?

@drum118, what do you think of the Gabby's at Confederation Parkway and Princess Royal Dr? It's just a block west of the City Hall?

Just to chip in here, though I don't think I'll be able to make it.......

I suspect you've landed on a good spot.

I had a quick look-see online; Gabby's appears to be the closest pub-like spot, other than the various chains at the mall (ie, Jack Astors).

They also have hours that would have them open during the applicable time.

Nearby spot 'The Wave' doesn't open til 3pm.

Here are the ones within a 5-10 minute walk of City Hall. Sorry I will not be there as I am to be somewhere else that was plan a few weeks ago.

North side of Rathburn and Duke of York Jack Astor's

East end of Sq One Mall Earls Kitchen + Bar

The west end of Sq One Mall The Rec Room

Across the Street from City Hall Failte Irish Pub
Across the Street from City Hall Second Cup Coffee Co
Corner of Confederation and Princess Royal Gabby's

Other places https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...pping_Centre-Mississauga_Ontario.html#MAPVIEW

It replace the All Star Sport Bar and have yet to use it. It only open a month or so ago. It smaller than what the All Star used to be. If you been to one Gabby, you been to all of them.

It appears that Failte Irish Pub has closed permanently despite their website still being up. (Their telephone number has been disconnected.)

It replace the All Star Sport Bar and have yet to use it. It only open a month or so ago. It smaller than what the All Star used to be. If you been to one Gabby, you been to all of them.
As it is so close, I think that Gabby's is the one to go to then. Let's say 2:30-ish to 4:30-ish on Sunday afternoon for anyone who wants to drop by, including if you have not been able to make it to the dedication at Mississauga City Hall earlier in the day. The bench will be there onwards, of course, for anyone who wants to check it out who misses the gathering.

Last edited:
For those who may not have seen the various projects around the Sq One area first hand, this would be a good time to do so. You are only 2 blocks away from 5 sites in various directions. Seeing Sq One Phase 1 can only been seen through the north gate at Rathburn, some off Confederation and more on Sq One Dr.

Since this is on Sunday, you can walk over to the west gate on Burnhamthrope to get a view of M3 in the hole, as that is the only place you can see it up close without a drome.

From what I saw today, it looks like the roof of 61s floor being form on M1.

Pass on my regret for not been able to be there as well missing seeing Janson shots these days as they were great.

Karen,

That was a wonderful memorial to Jason. I think Jason felt like a twin to many people. Thank you for including us at the Urban Toronto community in the memorial. Please keep us posted about the bench dedication and take care of Kaution. I suspected there was a story behind the elephant but didn't know it until watching the memorial.

I really regret not making more of an effort to fly with him, particularly when we got our Phantom4s around the same time.

PS, I've forgiven him for being a Habs fan :)
Thank you for your kind words. I am re reading your response and others... you put a smile on my face re the habs fan. Hope to see you at the bench dedication.

The event yesterday was really good. It was great meeting Jason's sister @Jodiezed Karen, and quite a number of Jason's friends. Ed and I got to meet only three UrbanToronto contributors, a rather shy one whose name I'm not entirely sure of (but thank you for coming out!!) plus @Undead and @bangkok. It was great to get to talk with both of them afterwards at Gabby's.

Karen spoke very engagingly, and I thought that some of you would appreciate seeing that, and getting a better feeling for the event and for Jason. With Karen's permission, here is her talk;

The event yesterday was really good. It was great meeting Jason's sister @Jodiezed Karen, and quite a number of Jason's friends. Ed and I got to meet only three UrbanToronto contributors, a rather shy one whose name I'm not entirely sure of (but thank you for coming out!!) plus @Undead and @bangkok. It was great to get to talk with both of them afterwards at Gabby's.

Karen spoke very engagingly, and I thought that some of you would appreciate seeing that, and getting a better feeling for the event and for Jason. With Karen's permission, here is her talk;

Craig that you so much for honouring Jason the way you did in announcing the award in his name. It was lovely meeting you all and enjoying a few drinks with you after as well. You have all warmed my heart once again.

Thanks a lot for sharing for those of us who live outside the country and couldn't make it! It was great to learn more about the amazing individual behind so many of the photos I've enjoyed over the years on UT.

@Jodiezed I just wanted to thank you for yesterday.

I was happy to see all the memorabilia including his drones. I really hope that his DJI Mini and Mini2 don't end up sitting in a box. If your kids don't fly them (hopefully they do!) I hope that you'll put at least one of them on display in your house. Jason was such a prolific flier and I really miss seeing his images.

Anyway, thank you so much for lunch yesterday and for thinking of and including the Urban Toronto community. I plan on taking some aerial shots of the bench with my drone and will post them here.

Back