What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That west end of jasper is going to be an old person's hub in 5 or 10 years - this new residence + our parents' home + Glenora park. Thinking I should set up a bingo hall down there or something.
I'd rather have them living in a central location, independently and integrated to the community than marginalized in the ends of the city. They are the people who have paved the way for us to get here and are an integral and extremely important part of society. AND they're us in the future, so unless you plan on finding the cure for aging...
It's a little bit presumptuous of the Y and Z gens to believe that the niceties of living in a thriving downtown environment are only appreciated by us.

It probably makes sense for there to be some seniors housing in every community, as much as possible. People shouldn't have to completely leave the area they live in just because they get older and have different needs.

Don't worry, still lots of places for younger people in the area too.

it is funny/cool/surprising to see the amount of seniors' residences going up in this area, but it makes sense. It's downtown; but more quiet and sedate, more palatable to older folks (and to residential in general). I'm glad to see the seniors' housing going in here, mostly because it will help their quality of life. having access to good transit and walkable amenities is really important when you're aging and can't drive.
My grandmother lives in a home in the Castle Downs area; it's a great facility, with lots of amenities and things to do in the complex, but it's located in the middle of a SFH neighbourhood, a food desert with nothing but a seniors' special bus to access the rest of the city. A lot of the people in her complex still drive, (although they definitely shouldn't be anymore) because it's the only way they can get out into the city and live their life. Even groceries they have to drive for, even if they're only picking up a couple bags. Although the facility itself is nice, the location is a detriment to quality of life, and keeps people in their cars, even when it probably isn't safe for them to be driving anymore. Lack of access to the rest of the city is an issue for these complexes.
Anyhoodle, kinda tangential, but i really support putting these projects in the core, near transit, near amenities. They are places of high density, populated by people who really, really benefit from TOD. I don't think they're boxing out other development or driving up land values unnecessarily; we have plenty of open sites, empty parking lots, mid-century parkades that don't need to be there anymore, etc to fill up with normal development as well. I'm super surprised and excited to see this proposal. I really hope it goes forward!

it is funny/cool/surprising to see the amount of seniors' residences going up in this area, but it makes sense. It's downtown; but more quiet and sedate, more palatable to older folks (and to residential in general). I'm glad to see the seniors' housing going in here, mostly because it will help their quality of life. having access to good transit and walkable amenities is really important when you're aging and can't drive.
My grandmother lives in a home in the Castle Downs area; it's a great facility, with lots of amenities and things to do in the complex, but it's located in the middle of a SFH neighbourhood, a food desert with nothing but a seniors' special bus to access the rest of the city. A lot of the people in her complex still drive, (although they definitely shouldn't be anymore) because it's the only way they can get out into the city and live their life. Even groceries they have to drive for, even if they're only picking up a couple bags. Although the facility itself is nice, the location is a detriment to quality of life, and keeps people in their cars, even when it probably isn't safe for them to be driving anymore. Lack of access to the rest of the city is an issue for these complexes.
Anyhoodle, kinda tangential, but i really support putting these projects in the core, near transit, near amenities. They are places of high density, populated by people who really, really benefit from TOD. I don't think they're boxing out other development or driving up land values unnecessarily; we have plenty of open sites, empty parking lots, mid-century parkades that don't need to be there anymore, etc to fill up with normal development as well. I'm super surprised and excited to see this proposal. I really hope it goes forward!
Plus, who doesn't like to have nice old ladies as neighbors, opposed to obnoxious Y and Z gen young couples like most of us 🤣🤣🤣

Yes. Planet Organic has been closed for about a year, now and there are renovations going on the building as of now. I'll try to walk by and sneak a picture.
They also had ads for positions in the area all around Indeed and Facebook, so I'm fairly sure they're bound to open soon.
Also, I spoke with the real estate agent that was responsible for the leasing negotiations and he confirmed it about a month ago.
So it going to be a Safeway (But I not sure why as the Oliver one is close. Unless they are closing it?)

New Safeway location to open along Jasper Avenue in the fall​

The store will include a bakery, meat and seafood, a deli and a floral department.
Edmontonians in the Jasper Avenue area will have another place to grocery shop this fall.

Sobeys announced Monday that a 25,000 square-foot Safeway will be opening at Jasper Avenue and 122 Street. Construction of the company’s 22nd store in the Edmonton area is already underway.
The store will include a bakery, meat and seafood, a deli and a floral department. Sobeys didn’t confirm if it would house a Starbucks.

Scott Chollak, Sobeys’ vice president of operations in Alberta, said in an email statement that providing a convenient way for residents in the area to shop was a key motivator for the store’s location.

“Although the location is at the core of a major urban centre, the area around this store is in many ways a small neighbourhood,” he said. “Many customers in the community walk to their local grocery store. The store is located on Jasper Ave, a key corridor in and out of the city core. This area has long-held confidence and awareness of the Safeway brand, and is an excellent location for our full-service Safeway urban concept.”

The store appears to be going in at the former site of the natural-foods retailer Planet Organic, which closed all four of its Edmonton locations in March last year.

The last time Safeway opened a store in the area was at the Sherwood Park Mall on April 28, 2017.

jlabine@postmedia.com

https://edmontonjournal.com/business/local-business/safeway-set-to-open-on-jasper

So it going to be a Safeway (But I not sure why as the Oliver one is close. Unless they are closing it?)

New Safeway location to open along Jasper Avenue in the fall​

The store will include a bakery, meat and seafood, a deli and a floral department.
Edmontonians in the Jasper Avenue area will have another place to grocery shop this fall.

Sobeys announced Monday that a 25,000 square-foot Safeway will be opening at Jasper Avenue and 122 Street. Construction of the company’s 22nd store in the Edmonton area is already underway.
The store will include a bakery, meat and seafood, a deli and a floral department. Sobeys didn’t confirm if it would house a Starbucks.

Scott Chollak, Sobeys’ vice president of operations in Alberta, said in an email statement that providing a convenient way for residents in the area to shop was a key motivator for the store’s location.

“Although the location is at the core of a major urban centre, the area around this store is in many ways a small neighbourhood,” he said. “Many customers in the community walk to their local grocery store. The store is located on Jasper Ave, a key corridor in and out of the city core. This area has long-held confidence and awareness of the Safeway brand, and is an excellent location for our full-service Safeway urban concept.”

The store appears to be going in at the former site of the natural-foods retailer Planet Organic, which closed all four of its Edmonton locations in March last year.

The last time Safeway opened a store in the area was at the Sherwood Park Mall on April 28, 2017.

jlabine@postmedia.com

https://edmontonjournal.com/business/local-business/safeway-set-to-open-on-jasper
I wonder if they will indeed rebrand the Oliver Square store, then. It would make sense, as having 3 Safeway stores in such a small radius (Westmount, West Oliver and Oliver Square East) seems like an overkill.
And hopefully it will include a Starbucks, I've been missing one closeby since the one on Jasper and 119st closed last year.

I walked by Jasper House today and it is getting a refresh - new windows (black frame) and looks like new grey paint or panels.
The windows will be a nice and needed upgrade given its prominent location. I didn't mind the old green colour though- not sure about more grey. Still, it will look nice.

20210923_130510.jpg

Not sure what to think - my first reaction is wtf. It might rather drab!! Must be a real cash cow for MacLab to put lipstick on this old girl or they would have demolished it and built something more prominent given its numero uno location and huge parking lot. I can't think of a better site for a big condo tower in Edmonton than where Jasper House sits. No other lot has such commanding views of the river valley and the city.

I walked by Jasper House today and it is getting a refresh - new windows (black frame) and looks like new grey paint or panels.
The windows will be a nice and needed upgrade given its prominent location. I didn't mind the old green colour though- not sure about more grey. Still, it will look nice.

View attachment 350936

They've only done those 2 windows (unless they've done more now, I've been away all week).

I think they're probably using these 2 windows as a test of sorts

Back