News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Azure Publishing has moved into the newly restored 213 Sterling Road building, which is across from the MOCA/Tower Automotive building. Interior spaces by Dubbeldam Architecture + Design.

I'm surprised we haven't had a JT thread until now. Thanks for getting it going. I figured you were from around here from your posts on local developments. :)

I'm surprised we haven't had a JT thread until now. Thanks for getting it going. I figured you were from around here from your posts on local developments. :)

Yep, I've grew up pretty much just technically outside of the Junction Triangle. I'm a near life-timer on Davenport Road, a shade off 30 years now lol. Used to be halfway between Dufferin and Lansdowne. I'm now at the Davenport Village townhouse community right at the intersection with Lansdowne. So I feel a natural connection to several West End areas such as the JT, Corso Italia, Davenport and Bloordale.

Thai Nyyom has opened at 1419 Bloor St W (@Sterling Rd), the former location of Nonna's Place.

Plans for a major renovation of the Planet Storage warehouse building on 1655 Dupont St, just east of the West Toronto rail path/line:

1575655989608.png

1575656002545.png

1575656013287.png

Interesting to see how this building is evolving. I wonder if/when all of the storage uses will go away. I expect commercial rent is more profitable.

Funny small thing in the flyer: The city's garbage bin on Dupont is missing its side flap. I guess that's how we know the renderings are a good reflection of reality :)

From my understanding, FreshBooks has their headquarters located at this building so there's already a portion allocated towards office usage. A total renovation would definitely redefine the whole building though. I'd imagine once they secure another major tenant (or two), they'll start moving with the full changes. Looks like there may be enough office space here to accommodate something along the lines of how Ubisoft has their offices at the warehouse on Wallace.

Cool. I remember how 15 years ago or so this building looked totally dilapidated/abandoned.

Cool. I remember how 15 years ago or so this building looked totally dilapidated/abandoned.

The West Toronto Railpath wasn't even opened yet back then. There was an abandoned car next to this building in the railway corridor that was trashed and tagged.

I love the progress that the area has seen in the past 15 years while keeping its heritage features intact. This building has so much character. I'm so glad that it's being revitalized.

It's pretty incredible to how much the area has changed in past couple decades, especially with new residential communities that have emerged along the West Toronto Railpath. This stretch of Dupont has developed a steady retail presence. There's also several notable businesses, office, and breweries that have settled either in or right along the close periphery of the Triangle. It'll be interesting to see how the remainder of the land surrounding the MOCA/Tower Automotive building on Sterling gets developed.

Last edited:
Zeidler Architecture Inc. have moved their head office to the Tower Automotive Building at 158 Sterling Road.

Zeidler's Toronto office moves after 60 years downtown

Zeidler Architecture Inc. (CNW Group/Zeidler Architecture Inc.)

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Zeidler Architecture Inc.
Jan 06, 2020, 09:00 ET
TORONTO, Jan. 6, 2020 /CNW/ - Our Toronto office has officially moved to the Tower Automotive Building at 158 Sterling Road after over 60 years in downtown Toronto. Moving directly above the Museum of Contemporary Art Toronto, we're joining an established community of artists with the MOCA being a major anchor for the neighbourhood.

Senior Partner Vaidila Banelis says, "Our move to Sterling Road represents an exciting new chapter for our firm. Our Queen Street office wasn't a fit for us anymore. We were spread across three floors in a design that catered to a time when we were drafting by hand. We don't work like that anymore." Our new office is designed as an open concept space, centered on a communal kitchen and library area. "We have a collaborative work culture, so it was important for us to design a number of diverse spaces where we could connect and co-create."

Having been based in our 315 Queen Street West office for over 35 years, we have had the opportunity to design a number of exciting projects right at our doorstep. Partner David Collins says, "The Junction Triangle neighbourbood is evolving, and we're looking forward to being part of its growth."

Our new mailing address is:
158 Sterling Road
6th Floor
Toronto, Ontario
M6R 2B2

About Zeidler
www.zeidler.com

Zeidler is a leading Canadian architectural practice. We are passionate, curious designers and we pursue excellence in everything we do. Our rich award-winning portfolio across Canada spans industry sectors, allowing us to offer a unique perspective that brings innovation and adaptability to each project we deliver. With offices in Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Victoria, Berlin, and Beijing, our team collaborates on inspiring buildings that foster social engagement, facilitate excellence, and deliver enduring value.
SOURCE Zeidler Architecture Inc.

What's the story with the brownfield in the foreground? I seem to recall a strip plaza being there way back when. How has nothing been proposed for it during 15 years of a crazy condo boom??

Back