News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

As expected (from the Toronto Sun, also as expected) from Doug Ford, at this link:

Grace period over on King Street as Ford calls pilot project 'full-out war' on cars

Toronto Police picked up enforcement on the King Street Pilot Project Monday, saying motorists who failed to obey mandatory right turns would be handed $110 tickets with two demerit points.

Doug Ford called the pilot project a disaster that he would reverse if elected mayor next year, dubbing the penalties ‘Mayor John Tory tickets.’

“Then the poor driver gets two demerit points — their insurance is going to go up,” he said Monday. “They’re trying to run the car right out of the city … there’s a full-out war.”

Ford pointed to the bike lanes on Woodbine Ave. and Bloor St. W. as proof that the war on car exists.

Although many people have praised the project on Twitter, Ford said businesses along King St. have been thrown under the streetcar at their busiest time of the year.

“They’re absolutely livid … everywhere from the Financial District to the restaurants,” Ford said on the first day of stepped-up police enforcement. “What also hurts — people are just avoiding King St., they’re avoiding downtown now.”

Some restaurants are sending waiters home for the first time, he said.

The City of Toronto began a pilot project just over a week ago that prioritized streetcars, pedestrians and bikes.

Along King St., between Jarvis and Bathurst Sts., motorists are forced to exit right at most intersections.

“This pilot project will put transit first and will help improve reliability, speed and capacity for the customers on this busy streetcar route,” TTC board chair and Councillor Josh Colle said in a statement at the pilot launch. “We’ve made changes to the 504 King streetcar route in the past, but nothing has had the effect that the TTC needed, so the time is now to take a bolder step for transit in this city.”

Tory backed the pilot project, but emphasized he would not be considering it for any other downtown streets.

On Monday he announced that the city is joining up with traffic app Waze to help motorists navigate around gridlock.

Tory has already launched a traffic warden program to move people through busy intersections, and special teams to clear disabled vehicles blocking major downtown roads.

“We’re trying things,” he said. “I’m optimistic that they’re going to work and that they’re making a difference already.”

In the pilot project’s first week, police emphasized education over enforcement — but that learning period was over Monday.

Ford said cars and taxi drivers find the project confusing, so it’s no surprise that some motorists are ignoring the mandatory right turns.

“I went down there – I was so nervous I didn’t want to hang a right on King,” Ford said. “I just avoided it totally.”

TTC spokesman Brad Ross noted the pilot project is just eight days old.

“The city and TTC are monitoring it closely, but it’s important to remember the objective of the pilot: To get transit moving for the 65,000 daily riders on King St.,” Ross said in an email.

The project wasn’t well thought out, and pushes the agenda of a small group, Ford said.

“It’s not that I’m against public transit by no means,” he said. “I just want a fair transit plan for everyone — the car, for bicycles and public transit. And this is just the beginning — the thin edge of the wedge. It’s going to be full steam ahead after King St.”

Ford has indicated that he plans to run against Tory in next fall’s municipal elections, although the campaign doesn’t get underway officially until the new year.
Doug ignores the 70+ people on board a streetcar, and putting the 1.3 people in a car on a pedestal instead.

Oh noes, restaurants are sending people home for the first time ever! Downtown is utterly deserted! What will someone from Ward 2 do? Send us their pedestrians?

AoD

Here's Ford's press release btw:

FORD SAYS NO TO TORY’S KING STREET CAR EXCLUSION ZONE

It has been reported that police will start handing out tickets to motorists who violate the terms of the King Street car exclusion zone starting Monday Nov 20th

Media Availability: I will be at the corner of Bay and King on Monday Nov 20 at: 4:30 pm where I will be speaking for the silent majority and businesses

After witnessing the car exclusion zone on King Street over the past few days and the impact it is having on neighboring streets, I am disappointed that John Tory implemented such a reckless plan.

While some claim that this reckless plan will make King Street a transit priority zone, what it’s really about is making it a car exclusion zone. King Street is a major artery for commuters travelling in and out of the city, and for people who want to shop, dine, and spend time at our cultural institutions. This reckless plan will hurt businesses along the corridor and the hundreds of jobs that depend on easy access.

Where are the millions of motorists that use these streets supposed to go? It seems that no one in the City's government cares. John Tory's so-called efforts to combat congestion are meaningless compared to how much congestion he has caused with the King car exclusion zone.

Whether it’s more LRTs, the bike lanes on Bloor and Woodbine, or the relentless efforts to toll the Gardiner and the DVP, it’s clear that John Tory is at war with the car. Rather than punishing commuters simply for trying to get to work, the Mayor should focus his efforts on improving mobility in the city and expand our subway network.

It is the sign of weak leadership to allow bureaucrats in an ivory tower to determine City policies. Staff should be working on relieving congestion and getting all users moving efficiently through the city.

I predict that just like Bloor Street bike lanes, the facts will be glossed over and the King car exclusion zone will be made permanent.

Just a general question about the use of a Right-Turn Green Arrow. I was wondering if it has different meanings depending on the municipality? I was in Windsor over the summer and I noticed that they used them to represent the movements that cars were allowed to travel, similar to some ideas suggested here, since the pedestrian walk signal turns green at the same time. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but it was definitely a shock to see it for the first time.

As expected (from the Toronto Sun, also as expected) from Doug Ford, at this link:

Grace period over on King Street as Ford calls pilot project 'full-out war' on cars

Toronto Police picked up enforcement on the King Street Pilot Project Monday, saying motorists who failed to obey mandatory right turns would be handed $110 tickets with two demerit points.

Doug Ford called the pilot project a disaster that he would reverse if elected mayor next year, dubbing the penalties ‘Mayor John Tory tickets.’

“Then the poor driver gets two demerit points — their insurance is going to go up,” he said Monday. “They’re trying to run the car right out of the city … there’s a full-out war.”

Ford pointed to the bike lanes on Woodbine Ave. and Bloor St. W. as proof that the war on car exists.

Although many people have praised the project on Twitter, Ford said businesses along King St. have been thrown under the streetcar at their busiest time of the year.

“They’re absolutely livid … everywhere from the Financial District to the restaurants,” Ford said on the first day of stepped-up police enforcement. “What also hurts — people are just avoiding King St., they’re avoiding downtown now.”

Some restaurants are sending waiters home for the first time, he said.

The City of Toronto began a pilot project just over a week ago that prioritized streetcars, pedestrians and bikes.

Along King St., between Jarvis and Bathurst Sts., motorists are forced to exit right at most intersections.

“This pilot project will put transit first and will help improve reliability, speed and capacity for the customers on this busy streetcar route,” TTC board chair and Councillor Josh Colle said in a statement at the pilot launch. “We’ve made changes to the 504 King streetcar route in the past, but nothing has had the effect that the TTC needed, so the time is now to take a bolder step for transit in this city.”

Tory backed the pilot project, but emphasized he would not be considering it for any other downtown streets.

On Monday he announced that the city is joining up with traffic app Waze to help motorists navigate around gridlock.

Tory has already launched a traffic warden program to move people through busy intersections, and special teams to clear disabled vehicles blocking major downtown roads.

“We’re trying things,” he said. “I’m optimistic that they’re going to work and that they’re making a difference already.”

In the pilot project’s first week, police emphasized education over enforcement — but that learning period was over Monday.

Ford said cars and taxi drivers find the project confusing, so it’s no surprise that some motorists are ignoring the mandatory right turns.

“I went down there – I was so nervous I didn’t want to hang a right on King,” Ford said. “I just avoided it totally.”

TTC spokesman Brad Ross noted the pilot project is just eight days old.

“The city and TTC are monitoring it closely, but it’s important to remember the objective of the pilot: To get transit moving for the 65,000 daily riders on King St.,” Ross said in an email.

The project wasn’t well thought out, and pushes the agenda of a small group, Ford said.

“It’s not that I’m against public transit by no means,” he said. “I just want a fair transit plan for everyone — the car, for bicycles and public transit. And this is just the beginning — the thin edge of the wedge. It’s going to be full steam ahead after King St.”

Ford has indicated that he plans to run against Tory in next fall’s municipal elections, although the campaign doesn’t get underway officially until the new year.
Doug ignores the 70+ people on board a streetcar, and putting the 1.3 people in a car on a pedestal instead.

The issue I have is the whole use a chainsaw to cut your fingernail approach. Do we really need a ban on Sunday mornings? Even Saturdays? I worked on King St and York and it is dead during the weekends. Spadina area gets a bit busy though. Queen which is already jammed on the weekends will be even more so.

This should have been limited to rush hour (maybe extend it a bit further). But now, you're going to waste all this money and time with the police enforcing it at times when it is already dead, for streetcars that are running far less frequently.

And I agree with Doug Ford on the demerit point issue. How is this a danger to safety as a moving violation? This is a by-law. Not an HTA infraction. Similar to those 'No Right/Left turns" during rush hour to take a shortcut which do not result in a loss of demerit points. IMO, this is an election ploy much like Kathleen Wynne's shotgun $15/hr minimum wage approach to 'buy' votes. Get the dense Liberty Village folks to rally to 'save' King Street by making sure they come out and vote to save it from the Barbarians.

Here's Ford's press release btw:

FORD SAYS NO TO TORY’S KING STREET CAR EXCLUSION ZONE

It has been reported that police will start handing out tickets to motorists who violate the terms of the King Street car exclusion zone starting Monday Nov 20th

Media Availability: I will be at the corner of Bay and King on Monday Nov 20 at: 4:30 pm where I will be speaking for the silent majority and businesses

After witnessing the car exclusion zone on King Street over the past few days and the impact it is having on neighboring streets, I am disappointed that John Tory implemented such a reckless plan.

While some claim that this reckless plan will make King Street a transit priority zone, what it’s really about is making it a car exclusion zone. King Street is a major artery for commuters travelling in and out of the city, and for people who want to shop, dine, and spend time at our cultural institutions. This reckless plan will hurt businesses along the corridor and the hundreds of jobs that depend on easy access.

Where are the millions of motorists that use these streets supposed to go? It seems that no one in the City's government cares. John Tory's so-called efforts to combat congestion are meaningless compared to how much congestion he has caused with the King car exclusion zone.

Whether it’s more LRTs, the bike lanes on Bloor and Woodbine, or the relentless efforts to toll the Gardiner and the DVP, it’s clear that John Tory is at war with the car. Rather than punishing commuters simply for trying to get to work, the Mayor should focus his efforts on improving mobility in the city and expand our subway network.

It is the sign of weak leadership to allow bureaucrats in an ivory tower to determine City policies. Staff should be working on relieving congestion and getting all users moving efficiently through the city.

I predict that just like Bloor Street bike lanes, the facts will be glossed over and the King car exclusion zone will be made permanent.

I think that if someone were to do the math, the silent majority are the ones in those streetcars, finally able to move faster than walking speed. As a motorist, I think it is great thatTory put in place something many major cities have - a Transit Mall. Too bad the Ford family are stuck in the past.

I think that if someone were to do the math, the silent majority are the ones in those streetcars, finally able to move faster than walking speed. As a motorist, I think it is great thatTory put in place something many major cities have - a Transit Mall. Too bad the Ford family are stuck in the past.

I personally think the silent majority are those taking the subway in or GO Train (Scarborough, Etobicoke, certain parts of North York, few sprinkled downtown). The same ones that demanded the removal of the vehicle tax. The ones it's mainly serving (Liberty Village, Parkdale/High Park/Roncesvalles/Leslieville/Beaches) are Liberal/Left voters. But there will be more of those than the Ford/Vehicle Tax haters to make the difference in the next election.

I keep hearing about this 'Transit' corridor. Now I haven't traveled a great deal, but the places I have gone to (Asia, Argentina, Paris, US Cities), I haven't seen anything like this. Nor anybody I've spoke to regarding countries they've visited or came from. Can someone give specific examples and pictures of these "Transit Malls" that seem to be talking points being passed around?. I have seen some pictures of it, maybe Belgium?

I personally think the silent majority are those taking the subway in or GO Train (Scarborough, Etobicoke, certain parts of North York, few sprinkled downtown). The same ones that demanded the removal of the vehicle tax. The ones it's mainly serving (Liberty Village, Parkdale/High Park/Roncesvalles/Leslieville/Beaches) are Liberal/Left voters. But there will be more of those than the Ford/Vehicle Tax haters to make the difference in the next election.

I keep hearing about this 'Transit' corridor. Now I haven't traveled a great deal, but the places I have gone to (Asia, Argentina, Paris, US Cities), I haven't seen anything like this. Nor anybody I've spoke to regarding countries they've visited or came from. Can someone give specific examples and pictures of these "Transit Malls" that seem to be talking points being passed around?. I have seen some pictures of it, maybe Belgium?
You may just want to travel to Wikipedia and look up Transit Mall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_mall

Two things

1. we really need to stop segregating people (even if you are referring to yourself) into the categories of driver/transit user/cyclist/pedestrian......the truth is we all, to varying degrees, use different methods to get around.
  2. assuming you were just short forming and identifying as someone who uses the car more than the other modes....I agree wholeheartedly....I also use a car more than any of the other 3 modes but can easily see that, in the case of King Street, something had to be done for the vast majority of the corridor's users and, thus far, this pilot seems to have hit all the right notes. It does not mean we should be doing this on every street......but it means that King moved more people by streetcar than any other E-W street and a solution was at hand that would make those commutes smoother/faster.....and applying that really makes sense.

Back