News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

J

james

I appreciate that this is a Toronto forum but this is something I need to know.:) My wife and I come to Canada more or less every year. We have been to Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto. We are coming to Toronto in early May for 2 weeks. However we have often thought about doing a tour from Halifax through Montreal and Quebec. The trouble is that we have heard so many bad reports from people, many of them Canadians we have spoken to on holiday about Montreal. Is it true that they simply will not speak English to tourists? Sounds crazy but we have heard that this is true.:confused::confused:

not true at all. Montreal is very bilingual, and unless you venture into the predominantly francophone east end, pretty much everyone you meet will speak english readily. Quebec City is more francophone, but it'll be no different than travelling in France.

Thanks that's good to know. Maybe next year my wife and I will explore Montreal and Quebec area.:)

I think the above comments are correct. You will have no difficulties in Montreal. In smaller centres, you will probably find fewer people who speak English and communication may be a bit more difficult. If you can use a few words or basic phrases of French, you should not encounter too many problems. Have a good trip!

I live and work in Montreal and hardly speak French. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the info have just been talking to you on another thread.:) I think Montreal is definitely on our radar for next year. Looks like a lovely city. Can't think why we have had so many people being negative about the language. Anyway we are Scots and get on fine with the French.:D:D Thanks to all you folks for the help and advice.

Don't ever talk to English Canadians about Montreal: they are very old-fashioned and like the Brits, make fun of/"hate" the French. If I ever have a family in Canada, I'm raising them in Montreal--possibly the most sophisticated, cultured city in North America where most intelligent people are bi, if not tri-lingual! Montreal rocks so much you may find yourself avoiding Toronto altogether!

Now yes the Quebecois peasants....that's another story, but given that Ontario English peasants can barely speak English!, not surprising. However, as a wannabe peasant, I can understand the Quebecois pov:)

You might have a point urbandreamer. We Scots get on fine with everybody.

we don't take kindly to your kind that get along fine with everyone around here....

306_hick_talkin.gif

Excuse me ......you what? What's the problem? You will find that Scots people do get along with people what's the problem with that?:confused::confused: And my kind, what kind is that then?

That pic is from an American cartoon called South Park, and he's just joking with you.

You won't have any problem in Quebec.

I don't know where urbandreamer gets off tarring and feathering all English Canadians in regards to their feelings about Montreal. Sure you get a few dumb yokels who are ignorant, but they are in the minority. Meanwhile, UD seems to be a bigot himself as he cast aspersions on an entire ethnic group. Speak for yourself UD, not others.

Oh I am so sorry 299 bloor call control. I am a bit slow tonight.:D:D:D Thanks for putting me straight interchange42.

Interchange, I'm an English Canadian myself:) You know, abit of British-style humour.... I was merely thinking about those years I lived in Montreal and Toronto, Vancouver and other towns across Ontario where the average English folk (as in WASP and perhaps Germanic origin) were ignorant of Montreal/Quebecois culture so ranted and raved about how terrible they are:( anyhow, James, what I'm trying to say is this: don't follow what other (possibly ignorant) people say just do your own thing and enjoy the beautiful city that is Montreal!

You might have a point urbandreamer. We Scots get on fine with everybody.

Actually, the Scots were probably the largest "english-speaking" population in Montreal during the 19th century.

Back