News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Fresco

Member Bio
Reaction score
This one was at 12 York (where else
icon_rolleyes.gif
).

A condominium rental scam has prompted Toronto Police to warn the public about the ploy.

Police say rental advertisements are being posted on Kijiji.ca about units for rent at 12 York St.

The fraudster and the victim correspond via telephone and/or via text to discuss the property, then meet up at the rental location, police said. The victim is then shown a unit and the fraudster acts as an agent of the property owner.

However, police allege the unit is actually being rented by the scammer as a short-term rental, which allows them access to the property (keys to the unit and fob to the building).

The victim signs what they believe to be a valid rental agreement and then sends a deposit via an electronic money transfer or pays cash in exchange for keys to the unit.

The next day, the cleaner arrives to clean the unit and informs the victim that they have to leave.

Police say once the money transfer is received, the fraudster no longer returns calls or messages and blocks the victim’s phone number.

The fraudster uses a variety of names when advertising as a rental agent or owner of the property.

Also does this look like a woman to you??
Unless cops are being extra cautious in gender labeling the person so not to offend.
Wouldnt wanna hurt his/her/their feelings

AAZno5o.img

Last edited:
The cards had fake metallic stickers on the back. The scammers scammed her out of 100 bucks. She no longer buys gift cards for gifts!

Like this...

These gift cards need to be sold behind a lock and key case with an alarm so they can't be tampered with.
Best way to buy gift cards is online.
That way they are shipped straight from the vendor's factory

I like to give National CAD$ gift cards for Christmas, they never expire , they are great ,you can use them anywhere in Canada in any store , oh wait that's called cash 🤣😂😅

I like to give National CAD$ gift cards for Christmas, they never expire…
I was in the UK last March and tried to use their National £ cards, aka cash. And they had expired, with the government recently changed to a new version and all retailers instructed to refuse the earlier version. I had to find a bank to swap them out.

I wonder if I can take my old CAD $2 bills into a shop. Something to try.

I was in the UK last March and tried to use their National £ cards, aka cash. And they had expired, with the government recently changed to a new version and all retailers instructed to refuse the earlier version. I had to find a bank to swap them out.

I wonder if I can take my old CAD $2 bills into a shop. Something to try.

Not all bank notes are legal tender​

As of January 1, 2021, the $1, $2, $25, $500 and $1,000 bills from every Bank of Canada series are no longer legal tender.

These bank notes have not been produced in decades, so the decision to remove them from circulation has had little impact on most of us.

• The $1 and the $2 notes stopped being issued in 1989 and 1996, respectively, and were replaced with coins.
  • The $25 note was a commemorative note. Both it and the $500 note were discontinued shortly after they were issued in 1935.
  • The $1,000 note stopped being issued in 2000.
Removing legal tender status from these bills means that they are no longer considered money. Essentially, you may no longer be able to spend them in a cash transaction. This does not mean that the notes are worthless. The Bank of Canada will continue to honour them at face value.

Back