Lawrence Heights Triangular Park

The City is currently in the process of designing a new park in Lawrence Heights as part of the Lawrence-Allen Redevelopment project. The yet to be named park will include a playground, walkways and planting. In addition, it is anticipated that public art shall be incorporated in the development of the park.

Project Timeline

• 2020: Detailed Design Development
  • 2021: Tendering and Contract Documents
  • 2022: Start of Construction
  • 2023: Park Completion
This timeline is subject to change.

Conceptual Plan of Lawrence Heights Triangular Park

lawhe.jpg

The developers behind a new townhouse project in the Lawrence Heights neighoubourhood are finding that many buyers are choosing to have their new homes built with a secondary suite.

A secondary suite is another apartment within a house, such as a basement apartment.

In the case of the Lawrence Heights townhome development, they are a $100,000 option, and even so 52 per cent of buyers are opting for it.

The city of Toronto has been permitting secondary suites within existing detached and semi-detached homes, but in this case have allowed it within a townhouse development, in an effort to create more rental housing.

“Our planner reached out to the city and said we would love to bring secondary suites with separate entrances into townhomes,” said Lee Koutsaris, Metropia’s vice president of sales and marketing.

CS&P Architects Inc. has been awarded with the contract to design and construct the new Lawrence Heights Community Recreation Centre and Child Care Centre. Scheduled for construction to begin in 2023 Q4 and opening in 2026 Q2.

They also worked on the Davisville and Birchmount Community Centres, among many other projects in the GTA. I'm excited to see this community cleaned up.

1668613034824.png

As the thread title suggests, this will be home to world's tallest 15 story building @ 226 metres.
Haha, oops, that should have been feet… but I've removed the numbers anyway. This is just a master plan thread, so no particular building should be referred to by the attached database file.

I don’t know. My point is that the shortlist for every major PFR project is similar, with one or two genuinely great architecture firms - and they almost always lose.

Is the answer here to go to design competition for most; with a public budget range; and a public and/or jury vote on proposals (I tend to favour both in a 2-stage process)?

Or is there another answer here? Such as having a City Architect who might be empowered to set a standard, take a design in-house, or simply have a veto on something offensively banal?

Are there any further alternatives worth examining?

Back