News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I preferred the days when there were no stop announcements. Back in the 1980s as a lad I hadn‘t considered the visually impaired. I just liked the ride. Nowadays it’s announcement after announcement. This is the stop name, mind the doors, doors are closing, the next stop is, this the stop name, and repeat, plus wear a mask and other mundane repeated announcements. I’m a big proponent of “know where you’re going, go where you’re knowing”, so I use my phone to plan and track my route, ignoring the announcements.
If they had side window wipers, very large street name signs for the near-sighted. o_O

Not everyone can see and read the inside, overhead digital stop announcement signs. The announcements definitely help the hearing impaired when the side windows are covered with salt and grime.

For quite a while in the 2005-2010 era there was at least one streetcar driver, often on 504, who would not only call out the stops but expand on their neighbourhood with details of history, sites and current events and, from time to time, break into song. As an occasional rider it was fun, maybe not so much if you travelled with him daily!

EDIT: Found a VIDEO https://toronto.citynews.ca/2013/10/11/singing-ttc-driver-charms-riders/ I remember more singing myself but .....

Last edited:
For quite a while in the 2005-2010 era there was at least one streetcar driver…. details of history, sites and current events and, from time to time, break into song.
Oh JMFC I hated those drivers. I’d be inescapably sitting there, shouting inside my head just STFU, I don’t need your trivia or singing, just get me to where I am going as expeditiously and with as few announcements and racket as possible.

It goes both ways.

Last edited:
I preferred the days when there were no stop announcements. Back in the 1980s as a lad I hadn‘t considered the visually impaired. I just liked the ride. Nowadays it’s announcement after announcement. This is the stop name, mind the doors, doors are closing, the next stop is, this the stop name, and repeat, plus wear a mask and other mundane repeated announcements. I’m a big proponent of “know where you’re going, go where you’re knowing”, so I use my phone to plan and track my route, ignoring the announcements.
There were two things that made me welcome stop announcements.
  • As someone who arrived at the city at 30 it was another way to learn the streetscape, as the cadence of the stops reeled off
  • TTC buses get stupefying filthy in winter months from sand and salt, and sometimes fogged up from packed commuters vs cold windows, and it wasn't that easy to gain visual cues as to your location - even if in a crowded aisle you could manage to see out a window.

• TTC buses get stupefying filthy in winter months from sand and salt, and sometimes fogged up from packed commuters vs cold windows, and it wasn't that easy to gain visual cues as to your location - even if in a crowded aisle you could manage to see out a window.
Even if was an empty bus it was a challenge. Look up from the book (or phone these days) to see where you were - realise that you had no idea from looking at the blurred greyness through the window.

Hello,

thanks for the message.

Were the most important stops announced on the buses in the 1980s?

Many greetings

Marc

The noise-cancelling headphones I eventually got were a godsend to eliminate all the relentless, irritating noises you're exposed to on transit (or even as a pedestrian on the street, in stores, etc). I can't recommend them highly enough if you're sensitive to that stuff.

Hello,

thanks for the message.

Were the most important stops announced on the buses in the 1980s?

Many greetings

Marc

This is purely anecdotal on my part, but I recall stop announcements as being very rare back then, no matter the type of transit vehicle (even the subways didn't have them). They were solely at the discretion of the driver, and while a few made the effort, most were too lazy or didn't GAF.

I cannot believe that anyone would possibly oppose automated stop announcements. I agree that we should avoid audio clutter (e.g. avoid unnecessary "reminder" announcements), but knowing the name of the next stop is absolutely critical information.

Prior to automatic announcements the bus driver was supposed to announce stops verbally, but that was pretty spotty in practice. I recall some dark fall nights where the windows were all fogged up and even fully-sighted regular riders were asking others where the heck we were at the moment.

I specifically remember the introduction of automated stop announcements on my local commuter route (YRT 5 Clark) between 2007 and 2010. In 2007 there was a mix of old Orion V high-floor buses inherited from Vaughan Transit, Markham Transit and GO Transit, as well as New Flyer D40LF's purchased new by York Region Transit. If I recall correctly, the D40LF's had automatic announcements but the Orion V's did not. By 2010 the route was entirely D40LF's.

I also remember being very impressed by the original Viva buses (Van Hool AG300) when they entered service in 2005, with next stop LED displays, automatic stop announcements, pneumatic lowering suspension, step-free boarding, information screens and WiFi. Those last two hardly ever worked, but the remainder have since become standard or even legally required on all buses. Hard to imagine that they were ever notable features.

Hello, If anyone else would like to share their experience on this topic, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Back