Strange site, strange project at this point in time, and not the very best work from CCLA. It’s not totally clear to me who this is for.

Having said that… This is still likely to be one of the most interesting and best detailed parks Toronto has built in a generation, and the GH3 building easily makes it into the top rank of Toronto public architecture.

I mean are you really surprised? Honestly I don't blame them given that this is sort of an out of the way location, Not sure if it really justifies granite.

It would be nice though to see some pavers to accent key spaces - perhaps the central plaza, where the pathways meet the street, or to line the edges of the pathways.

I don't mean granite pavers (which is expensive and overkill for this site) - I meant crushed (decomposed) granite like Lawren Harris Square at WDL.

AoD

Not to mention the crazy intersection at Lake Shore and Don Valley.
Which might be much improved by the removal of a certain highway.

If I sound like a broken record it's because of my vinyl addiction. You are what you eat, er, you are what medium you use to listen to music.

Anyway, pretty stoked about this park. It's a bit of a mess down there, though that is part of the area's charm, imho.

Too many people can't read, and on other online forums keep thinking this is the Leslie Street SPIT and are freaking out. It probably needs a more unique name anyway, but it's not like the LSS is called that officially anymore anyway.

a bit off-topic but relevant, the city needs to come up with a comprehensive plan for the lands south of eastern to allow for mixed-use while keeping industry, studios, and jobs there. Queen to the portlands is very hostile for pedestrians. What Washington DC did in their navy yards should be a model

1611951312544.png

Strange site, strange project at this point in time, and not the very best work from CCLA. It’s not totally clear to me who this is for.

Having said that… This is still likely to be one of the most interesting and best detailed parks Toronto has built in a generation, and the GH3 building easily makes it into the top rank of Toronto public architecture.
Not a strange site at all, but a very welcome one. Over the years I have witnessed an increasing amount of bike and pedestrian traffic streaming up and down Leslie, accessing either the spit or the MG trail... at all times of the year this is an active thoroughfare and the idea of having a central, western-facing view of the Unwin channel, unimpeded, is very inspiring. Considering what this area looked like, especially in decades past, this will be a major improvement and will invite much-needed civic pride in the Portlands as a destination in and of itself.

LESLIE SLIP LOOKOUT PARK COMMUNITY CONSULTATION MEETING #1

March 1 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Join Councillor Fletcher and CreateTO for a public consultation meeting on Monday, March 1st at 6:30 p.m. to learn more about the conceptual designs for Leslie Slip Lookout Park, meet the project team led by Claude Cormier + Associés, and to provide feedback.

Please register in advance online here:
https://lura-ca.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5YpduGorDkiGtD8e59oknRrQ4Ymb3Kqvm2y

Once registered, you will receive a link for the Zoom meeting. If you do not wish to register for the meeting, please visit this link on March 1st to get the call in information. You will be able to join the session using your internet browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Explorer) or the Zoom app. You do not need to download software to participate.

The Leslie Slip Lookout Park, located at 12 Leslie Street, will be a new 1.9-acre destination in Toronto’s Port Lands along the Martin Goodman at the entrance to Tommy Thompson Park. The new park will include a public beach and forested dunes, and will connect the public to the water’s edge with dramatic views of the entire length of the Ship Channel.

View the meeting notice.

Visit www.createto.ca/leslie-slip-lookout-park for more information.

Back