News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just have to make a comment re: this past weekend in the city. Spent some time on 17th ave, Stanley park and another spot on the elbow.

The city was absolutely buzzing, mid afternoon Saturday and Saturday night 17th was as busy as ive seen it, every spot was packed. The creek was full of floaters and swimmers, shorlines packed with people.

This city is really coming into its own, "post" covid it really seems like more people are getting out and enjoying the great things about the city. I talked to some recent transplants from Ontario when i was at the ship and they were really impressed by the energy in the city. Its all great to see and i think the momentum is building

Maybe it's because we've been in a doom and gloom scenario for a prolonged period, but it really feels like the city is coming alive, and also turning a corner at the same time. Not everything is perfect of course, but I'm seeing so many positives out there lately. The fingerprints of the younger crowd are all over the city these days.

Thankfully, life has returned to Calgary and most everywhere else ....at least for the summer. Lets hope that we all don't get a COVID smackdown in the fall. There is still talk from the medical community that we are not over COVID yet. They are worried about more variants which means this could go on in perpetuity. The messaging over vaccinations has been so confusing. First it was get two, then add one booster and now add a 2nd booster. Who knows who has had what ... it ranges from people who have not had any vaccinations to those who have had 4, and anywhere in between. I don't think we will be in a state of lockdown again as the public will probably not tolerate it but what do I know. I didn't think we would be in the third year of this mess.

Thankfully, life has returned to Calgary and most everywhere else ....at least for the summer. Lets hope that we all don't get a COVID smackdown in the fall. There is still talk from the medical community that we are not over COVID yet. They are worried about more variants which means this could go on in perpetuity. The messaging over vaccinations has been so confusing. First it was get two, then add one booster and now add a 2nd booster. Who knows who has had what ... it ranges from people who have not had any vaccinations to those who have had 4, and anywhere in between. I don't think we will be in a state of lockdown again as the public will probably not tolerate it but what do I know. I didn't think we would be in the third year of this mess.
I'll push back on one item, I don't think the vaccination messaging has been confusing: Vaccinate the most vulnerable first, like the flu vaccine, the covid vaccine doesn't cover all variants so yes you're still not 100% covered and like other vaccines its effectiveness wanes over time so you need a booster. If you're vulnerable or in vulnerable situations stay current otherwise use your own discretion and do what you're comfortable with.

Unfortunately, its going to be around. What we did wasn't perfect, we had to take our lumps and learn our lessons. But on the whole I think generally we all know what we need to do. What I think about when I see the city buzzing is did we do what we all talked about; build back better and not just get back to normal?

Its still too early to tell and I think people forget Calgary and Alberta was already in a tough place economically even in January 2020. Personally I'm feeling positive about our general direction, there's a lot that gives me pause still in making that statement but we're building again, people are working again (for now), and people are going out again. My mortgage has gone up and things cost more so I'm spending less but no offense to anyone I don't think my life should be about maintaining the GDP.

Covid's not over yet, and probably won't be any time soon, but for the most part we are back to normal and it will probably stay this way for the foreseeable future. The new strains don't seem to be as dangerous as the original ones, and most people are vaccinated. I can't think of any instances where covid is affecting my day to day life anymore, other than having to wear a mask at the hospital, which isn't a big deal.
Regarding the vaccination schedule, yeah it's confusing when reading the info online, but for the most part isn't bad. The overall message has been consistent, and that is to get vaccinated. The path to do it has been choppy.
I've been phoning my pharmacy and making an appointment, and they tell me where I'm at or what is needed. Maybe not all pharmacies, but the one I deal with does it. Whoever does the vaccination should have the records on-line.

Just have to make a comment re: this past weekend in the city. Spent some time on 17th ave, Stanley park and another spot on the elbow.

The city was absolutely buzzing, mid afternoon Saturday and Saturday night 17th was as busy as ive seen it, every spot was packed. The creek was full of floaters and swimmers, shorlines packed with people.

This city is really coming into its own, "post" covid it really seems like more people are getting out and enjoying the great things about the city. I talked to some recent transplants from Ontario when i was at the ship and they were really impressed by the energy in the city. Its all great to see and i think the momentum is building
Went for a bike ride tonight, and once again was impressed by how many people were out and about. How busy the river was, how busy the cycle tracks and the bike paths were and the parks were as well as the restaurants and patios.
Maybe it’s the hot summer weather we’ve been having but the last couple of months it seems like every time I go out for a bike ride which is usually 3-4 nights a week, I was surprised how vibrant things are. Buzzing and busy in levels that I used to only see on weekends or Friday nights.

I know the river have always been busy, but the last couple of summers the rivers seem really extra popular.
I’m wondering if Covid forced a whole new demographic of people to discover the use of the rivers?

I also have to say that I’m glad scooters have made a come back. I know they can be annoying sometimes but they sure have made the inner-city areas feel busier.
Also as a cyclist I can’t help but think that the more Scooter users that use the infrastructure the more it may help spur on the building of more infrastructure.

Back