News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Just another glorified power center to support the spread of sprawl.

No joke eh? Is this a serious proposal? For once a 'big box' development has the stores facing the streets they front onto and then they go and put a giant parking lot between it and the residential towers (likely the main consumers of those shops).
Look at the treatment of the 48 Major Mac intersection, do they expect that to be a pedestrian haven? Sure after crossing 5 mins of parking lots. The restaurants are engulfed by parking and vary far from the condos and even farther from the commercial retail. People with cars would love this, people looking for a community will hate it.

Having lived near Major Mac way Bac I often wondered why Mcdonald's doesn't have a special Toronto burger called the....Major Mac!

Are they ruining the highway? Woodbridge folks, do take photos for us landlocked urbanites showing current development in Vaughn! I haven't been up Kleinburg/M Mac way in about 5 years so I'm curious: what's the area developing like? Photos please....

Urbandreamer: Still almost exclusively detached houses, they really don't like high-rise much in Vaughan. The good news is that the streets are now being built on a grid, with short blocks, as opposed to the endless loopy crescents.

So detached homes and light industrial at the GO station and high-rise buildings, offices, and a power center away from the station. Doesn't make much sense to me. The high-rise apartments and offices should be at the Mount Joy station.

Looking at the lot line in the northeast quadrant of the site it looks like there is land reserved for the possibility of an overpass.

I totally agree Enviro! It's pretty ridiculous to have the GO station surrounded by light industrial and have the density far away.

Markham planning at it's best!

Perhaps what is located in the wrong place is the GO station itself, like all the other GO stations, and only built where it is to maximise the amount of parking. High-density developments such as this doesn't really fit into that scheme.

So instead of locating the station at a major arterial like Major Mackenzie, where high-density is most appropriate, they locate it at a minor road like Bur Oak instead to limit intensification.

Well, they can move the GO station...like, duh. They've moved Milliken station so there's precedence.

The big box stores front Markham and the condos fron the railroad tracks...great move! The Town of Markham has been far more sensible in the past...perhaps this plan will be tweaked?

Well, they can move the GO station...like, duh. They've moved Milliken station so there's precedence.

Well, like DUH!, Milliken station was a sidewalk and a bus shelter which had been in the same location for over a decade. Mount Joy station is a more permanent structure which only opened last year and moving it now would require someone admitting stupid planning skills and wasting of taxpayer dollars.

Actually having GO near light industrial makes sense; from personal experience (i specialize in light industrial work lol) it's the bottom rung workers--light industrial shippers, receivers, assembly line workers, material handlers etc (oh the joys of having a tow motor gig;) --that need easy access to efficient transit. Office workers (exception perhaps for office temps/cleaners/kids right out of uni) usually get salaries so can afford cars and usually drive to work. Who the hell buys a house in Vaughn these days without first owning a car? Condo dwellers in Vaughn have got to be middleclass/car owners. So peasants love to GO to work. That's the suburban job experience from my pov.

What needs to change is the built form of LI jobsites: surely Chabanel Montreal can be continued as a model? That is, 5-10 story buildings with high speed elevator access to common shipping/receiving docks? So denser LI areas surrounded by denser 3-5 story walkups for the employees! (Sound familiar? Oh yeah that's the Montreal model!:)

You guys are pretty optimistic if you think those front the main streets. It looks like they're built with their backs right up against the lot lines. The loading docks are between the units, accessible from the parking lot, but the trucks seem to unload nearer what's being assumed as main facade.

I suspect this will be yet another powercentre that admires its own parking.

Actually having GO near light industrial makes sense; from personal experience (i specialize in light industrial work lol) it's the bottom rung workers--light industrial shippers, receivers, assembly line workers, material handlers etc (oh the joys of having a tow motor gig --that need easy access to efficient transit. Office workers (exception perhaps for office temps/cleaners/kids right out of uni) usually get salaries so can afford cars and usually drive to work. Who the hell buys a house in Vaughn these days without first owning a car? Condo dwellers in Vaughn have got to be middleclass/car owners. So peasants love to GO to work. That's the suburban job experience from my pov.

But this station is located in an industrial area not a residential one. Unless those bottom rung workers are doing the nightshift they won't have access to these trains as they are only one way (south in the morning and north in the PM).

Actually having GO near light industrial makes sense; from personal experience (i specialize in light industrial work lol) it's the bottom rung workers--light industrial shippers, receivers, assembly line workers, material handlers etc (oh the joys of having a tow motor gig;) --that need easy access to efficient transit. Office workers (exception perhaps for office temps/cleaners/kids right out of uni) usually get salaries so can afford cars and usually drive to work. Who the hell buys a house in Vaughn these days without first owning a car?

The point of transit is not to have a class system of transportation. That is an American view of transit we really should try not to perpetuate. The primary reason for transit is efficient transport of people in an economically and energy efficient way. Transit should be located in dense nodes to lure greater numbers out of the car. People who absolutely need to take transit don't need additional motivation to take it.

Back