News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Would a 100 car double stack train carry more containers than a lake freighter?

Quebec city has a deep sea port.

I wonder if they could get the line to Churchill to run at 50mph if running double stack container trains from there to Toronto would make sense? It would be closer than Halifax.
I don't know. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 'container laker'; the majority are bulk or tankers. Where would it off-load in Toronto? Container yards with any handling volume take a lot of real estate plus to truck/rail access, none of which the Port of Toronto offers.

I don't know if the Port of Quebec has a container dock. There's a lot of competition for container traffic on the east coast between those that already have the facilities and those that propose them, plus competition from US ports. I'm not sure Churchill would be all that competitive given that it is seasonal. "Closer than Halifax" depends on where the ship is coming from.

Is it faster to put a container on a train to get to Toronto or for a boat to get to Toronto?

But there is a huge backlog to get to port to unload. Would building a port to unload containers alleviate this pain point? But you would need to transfer from ocean vessels to lake vessels somewhere.
This really is in the wrong thread, nothing to do with old rail lines in Toronto.

Back