8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

marcus_a_j

Member Bio
Reaction score
Two 16-storey condo towers, townhouses, and ~4 storey commercial/retail along Markham Rd.

http://www.markhamplace.com/

Location.
markhamplacelocation.jpg

March 28, 2008

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

There's potential for future urbanity with all the undeveloped space. If this is where it's terminating, good thing it's not in the middle of a subdivision or beside a large park. Fortunately there will be retail.

There's potential for about 3 more 16 storey condos, not urbanity. Urbanity will not sprout at Markham & Sheppard.

Alright, despite all the parking lots in the area, it's probably not going to work out. Productive commercial zones and houses that turn their back on the arterial have oiled the suburban machine. There's some small glimmer of home, but this is Scarborough, where urbanization can be a slow process.

And $2-billion worth of subway will terminate at a parking lot and Wal-Mart.

So that means outright wasting $1.3 billion here is OK in comparison to larger amounts that are arguably wasted elsewhere? What an incredibly lame argument.

At least Spadina hits the very busy Finch West bus and York University along the way...the RT extension manages to avoid condos on Corporate Drive, avoid Centennial College, and not even reach Malvern, and all of this for a greater cost than extending the subway!

I'd rather see our city progress with more moderate 12-15 storey buildings than subway-induced 50-storey behemoths.

If buildings are going to be transit-induced (and these ones at Markham & Sheppard are transit-induced), and since neither scenario will result in urbanity (either spontaneous or forced) why not have triple the density at the station? Obviously, the best choice is to have 50 storey buildings surrounded by a ring of 15 storey buildings, but that won't happen here.

There's potential for about 3 more 16 storey condos, not urbanity. Urbanity will not sprout at Markham & Sheppard.

But wait! Not only will this area be blessed with two LRT lines, there also appears to be a street grid and a mix of housing densities! According to my calculations, this place should resemble the Lower East Side in five years. Are you telling me that my 'urban vibrancy' algorithm is totally out of whack?

I've seen panhandlers at the offramps from the 401 and Markham Rd so we've got the beggers covered.

Back