News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Hamilton
An idea for everyone on here: Would it be possible to create a master database for different transit projects, detailing things such as:

-Project Cost
-Current Project Status
-Estimated Completion Date
-Total length (KMs)
-Any additional info

I think this would be good for two reasons:

1) It would stop the constant "what's the status of this project?" questions in discussion threads.

2) It would be a great reference tool for a lot of people who do semi-fantasy work where we need real project costs and timelines. All of the info in one place, instead of having to scour the internet and dig through reports just to find a simple number or date.

I figure this could maybe be a sub-section of the dataBase feature already on here? What does everybody think? I'd be more than happy to help compile some of the info for it.

Not a bad idea but there's a similar problem for any area (either a subject- like transit - or geographic) where there is lots of activity. Think of West Don Lands, Waterfront as examples of geographic. Possibly a better way to deal with it would be better (or more consistent) thread-titles so that similar projects will all show up in a Thread Title-only search?

I don't know why this would be an obstacle. There aren't really that many transit projects, actual or proposed or scrapped, in the grand scheme of things. The existing database on UT already gives users multiple search options.

Improving the titles of threads does very little because anyone looking for official project information has to wade through pages and pages (and pages) of the community's transit debates.

Exactly. For most people's purposes, all they're looking for is the tombstone information (status, estimated year of completion, cost, etc).

If nothing else, maybe adding a feature whereby that information is posted at the top of the thread, in the header of the thread page, so that it shows up on every page. Much like how poll threads show the poll options and results at the top of every page. Instead of the poll options, maybe just a little box showing the basic info on the project. Maybe a link to the most updated study on it too?

The problem with this, various cost, timeline are unknown or keep changing, as well dieing.

Just to list a few of them, you need to pull out RTP for Metrolinx and then start adding in various other ones not under Metrolinx control or plan. TTC has a few of those.

Given the current way things are going, timeline are going beyond the original dates with no new date on many of them. Same goes for cost.

I started a few years ago for my website a master page showing a listing of all the projects for TTC let alone other systems that were link to each project page that show what been asked here and I am over a year behind in updating it due to all the various changes. You need more than one person keeping this datebase up to date. The last time I did the up date, there were over 200 projects and that was on what was going on at the time, let alone past projected and written vision plans that were not on the list.

Google is your best friend for finding the info.

Take the Georgetown line as an example. There are no less than 15 projects for this line underway and that not adding in the Kitchener section. Each has a cost and timeline. You can lump it as one project, but not a good way.

I like to know the various cost and time frame for each project, as it will help to understand where the real cost and time is for other projects similar to them and how long those projects will take before they are on line. It helps to understand why it going to cost big $$ to put in a real transit system for the Southern Ontario Region, since Metrolinx has gone beyond the GTA area as first plan back in 2003/5.

Looking at Europe systems, I just added an extra $30b to to my Current $120B and that is up from my 2003 $60b cost just for the GTA area alone.
My 2 cents

Back