News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It would be nice if we could have some by-law reform on residential rentals and heating and cooling. I know Matlow has been on this for years but he has gotten nowhere with it. This wave of heat has been rough since it is oddly as hot at night as it is in the daytime and is causing my unit to bake. Thermostat said it was 27°C this morning, which makes sense for a highly energy efficient insulated 2010's building. It's not leaking heat like a 1960's slab tower does. The city by-law that says you have to keep a minimum temperature of 21°C after September 15 needs to be revisited badly. It's possible to go down well below that temperature for a few days triggering activation of heating and deactivation of air conditioning, but then for the temperature to go way back up, but modern centralised large building heating and cooling systems can't be switched back and forth with ease, it takes several days to change those, and the technicians who do it are booked weeks in advance. The City should add a transition period from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 where the temperature can dip down lower than 21°C for a few hours per day (presumably these are at night), and then buildings can keep at least keep the air conditioning available and the heat off for that period.
Got a similar problem here. Our building replaced the windows a few years back. They were once fully-opening side-slider windows probably as old as the building (40 yrs), then the landlord installed high-efficiency windows with one quarter pane that cranks open about six inches. Needless to say, temperature regulation has been a big pain in the ass since. It's turned all the apartments into greenhouses. We don't often peak above 27°C in our unit (it's 26.2° inside right now at 9:42AM; 17.0°C outside) on the 19th floor, but the top floors with less shading from neighbours have seen 30°C on fall days; much hotter than the temperature outside. The landlord has already refused to turn the AC back on, because there's zero legal obligation. They acted like they were doing us a favour installing these windows (along with an AGI on rent), as well as any time they decide to turn the AC on a few days early in the spring. Interior temperatures have never dipped below 19°C during the early fall or late spring even with the the heat off.

City of Toronto staff report lays groundwork for a new small business tax class in Toronto

From link.

Today, Mayor John Tory announced a City of Toronto staff report going to Executive Committee next week recommends that a small business tax subclass be created starting in 2022 to provide small businesses with tax relief.

As part of the 2020 provincial budget, municipalities were given the ability to create a small business tax subclass to provide a lower property tax rate for small businesses within the commercial tax class. Earlier this year, City Council directed City staff to define and develop a small business tax subclass to address the preservation and rebuilding of Toronto’s main streets and to offer tax reductions for a broad range of small businesses across Toronto.

The report recommends that a 15 per cent tax reduction be applied to small businesses within the commercial tax class. The remaining properties in the commercial tax class will see a property tax rate increase of 0.85 per cent in the municipal portion of property taxes to fund the tax relief. It is estimated that these reductions will apply to approximately 25,000 small businesses across Toronto, or 60 per cent of all commercial properties.

To qualify to be a part of this tax subclass, business are separated into two categories:

Businesses located downtown, on the central waterfront, in designated growth centres or avenues in the City’s Official Plan​

• properties must be classified within the commercial or new commercial tax class
  • properties must have a Current Value Assessment (CVA) less than or equal to $7 million
  • lots must be 7,500 sq. feet or less, or for commercial condos a gross floor area of 2,500 sq. feet or less

Businesses located anywhere else in the city​

• properties must be classified within the commercial or new commercial tax class
  • properties must have a CVA less than or equal to $1 million

There is no application needed for this tax relief as all commercial properties will be assessed for their eligibility. There will also be a request for reconsideration or appeal process for properties owners who feel their property should be included in the new tax subclass.

This tax will be revenue neutral for the City. The provincial government is expected to match the municipal tax rate reduction with a corresponding reduction in the business education tax for all eligible small business property owners.

The full report to Executive Committee, Implementing a Small Business Property Tax Subclass, is available online.

Quotes:

“Small businesses are the heart of this city, and these last 19 months have been extraordinarily tough for small business owners in Toronto. This new tax class will support new and existing small businesses located on Toronto’s main streets, helping them to thrive in a post-pandemic environment and well into the future. We want small business owners to know we support them and we are committed to their prosperity.”
– Mayor John Tory

“Small businesses in Toronto over the last number of years have endured increases in property taxes beyond the average – and the creation of this tax class will change that. This is about creating fairness and equity in the tax system – so the small book store isn’t subject to the same tax rate as the large shopping mall. Providing broad tax relief to small businesses is important for Toronto’s diverse and thriving local economy.”

– Heather Taylor, Chief Financial Officer

“We have continued to manage the City’s finances responsibly throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The small business tax subclass will provide much needed relief to hardworking small businesses across our city and ensure they can continue to prosper in our city. It is another example of the work we are doing to support people through the worst of COVID-19 and the safe reopening of the city.”

– Councillor Gary Crawford (Scarborough Southwest), Chair of the Budget Committee

“Supporting small main street businesses is key to Toronto’s economic recovery. These businesses, from local barber shops or coffee shops to restaurants, bistros and specialty retailers are the heart and soul of their communities. We need to create policies that ensure these businesses can not only stay in our communities, but thrive in our communities.”

– Deputy Mayor Michael Thompson (Scarborough Centre), Chair of the Economic and Community Development Committee

“Reducing small businesses taxes across the city takes some of the strain off our main streets – many of which have been struggling throughout the pandemic. It’s about creating a level playing field – making sure that our local mom and pops aren’t taxed in the same way as large commercial businesses. It’s important that small business owners know we’re going to keep supporting them as we move into our recovery phase. Their success is our success.”

– Councillor Brad Bradford (Beaches-East York)

Toronto is home to more than 2.9 million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses. For more information visit the City’s website or follow us on Twitter Opens in new window, Instagram Opens in new windowor Facebook Opens in new window.

@Towered will be particularly pleased to hear (as am I) that CafeTO is not only being extended to next year, but is recommended to become permanent in 2023 in a report to next week's Executive Ctte meeting.

Of course, the details will require another report, next year on fees and regulations.........but one battle at a time!
I can see the suburban automobile-addicted councillors being against this.

@Towered will be particularly pleased to hear (as am I) that CafeTO is not only being extended to next year, but is recommended to become permanent in 2023 in a report to next week's Executive Ctte meeting.

Of course, the details will require another report, next year on fees and regulations.........but one battle at a time!
Very happy to see this. Hopefully we can eventually look at rebuilding streets to have more permanent infrastructure for patios in the future. Something like the recent rebuild of Elgin St in Ottawa, where they have spaces that can be flexed between patios or parking spaces, could probably work on a number of streets.

Personally, given that the entire stretch is currently street patios, and it hasn't caused the apocalypse yet, I'd love to see Church St in the Village reduced to 2 traffic lanes permanently (I mean, ideally I'd love to see it pedestrianised, but this is Toronto so that'll never happen). Just have bigger sidewalks in the winter or something. Maybe we can finally even have some street trees too.

Very happy to see this. Hopefully we can eventually look at rebuilding streets to have more permanent infrastructure for patios in the future. Something like the recent rebuild of Elgin St in Ottawa, where they have spaces that can be flexed between patios or parking spaces, could probably work on a number of streets.

Personally, given that the entire stretch is currently street patios, and it hasn't caused the apocalypse yet, I'd love to see Church St in the Village reduced to 2 traffic lanes permanently (I mean, ideally I'd love to see it pedestrianised, but this is Toronto so that'll never happen). Just have bigger sidewalks in the winter or something. Maybe we can finally even have some street trees too.

I'm all for the patios in the Elgin example, but egads the lack of trees, the sidewalks are concrete, the road is asphalt and those lights lack any character at all.

I do not think there is a thread for the Design Museum but I noticed today that, after they have had it covered by a plain and utilitarian weather-protection sheet they have recently installed THIS.

IMG_0645.JPG

It certainly looks far better (and is something I wish we saw more of here) but I am surprised the work (repairing the facade?) is dragging on so long. It has been ongoing for at least 18 months.

I'm all for the patios in the Elgin example, but egads the lack of trees, the sidewalks are concrete, the road is asphalt and those lights lack any character at all.
Possibly the lack of trees might be because the city designed the street to still have overhead hydro wires, because they didn't want to pay to bury them. Thankfully Ottawa Hydro went and did it anyway as part of construction. But yeah, the Elgin redesign has some positives, but some major failings too.

Let's not pretend either of these things are an indicator of who deserves to run the city.

While there certainly are college drop outs who have ended up demonstrating great skill/aplomb at any number of things............

Is it really reasonable to suggest that someone with no work experience to speak of might be an appropriate candidate for high office?

Surely its reasonable to ask for some sort of CV when reviewing a job applicant.

While there certainly are college drop outs who have ended up demonstrating great skill/aplomb at any number of things............

Is it really reasonable to suggest that someone with no work experience to speak of might be an appropriate candidate for high office?

Surely its reasonable to ask for some sort of CV when reviewing a job applicant.

This is the post-Trump era. Standards have plummeted.

Back