8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

vistaway

Member Bio
Reaction score
So the new bridge opened late last week. It's an important N-S link into the City Centre, and the city did a good job at including a lot of nice features. There are bike lanes (not signed yet, though), wide sidewalks separated by attractive barriers, sidewalk lighting, a 'gateway' feature, lots of plantings, and blue LED lighting along the length of the bridge.

I walked over this morning, and it's a nice walk (probably the nicest walk across a 400-series highway). There were around 6 other pedestrians on the bridge, and every time I have gone past, there have been people walking across. So it appears to be working. Benches would have been nice, and the road is still really wide, but it's a step in the right direction. It's also nice to see that the city is continuing the Confederation Parkway 'streetscape' treatment south of Burnhamthorpe, with on-street parking and bike lanes.

Here are some shots from this morning:

Approaching from the south/City Centre:
03092008117.jpg

Nice view of MCC:
03092008120.jpg

The gateway feature on the south side (note the very snazzy aluminum handrails):
03092008121.jpg

- Andy

I was at the opening and still some work to be done then.

Crews were working 7 days into the night the last few weeks to get it ready for the 28.

Traveling along the 403 at night, the blue lights make the bridge stand out as well the Mississauga name. A few missing section of light from what we saw on Aug 31.

The handrail is a lot better than any I have seen to date for bridges.

There is supposed to be room on the east side to add in the 2 lanes for the BRT at a later date.

The light fixtures add to the streetscape and are LED's. Been over this bridge a number of times during construction and it will make it easiers to get to the core for everyone.

MT route 66 started to use it on Sept 2 and it will cut over 5 minutes of travel time off the original trip. I can see better service on 19 come Boxing Day as traffic will be less heavy by having drivers using this new bridge.

There is provision on the north side to have lanes under the bridge like the south end.

The Mayor, the ward councilor, Chair of GO (who lives in Mississauga), GO GM, Local MPP's as well city staff where there. More city personal from the lower rank than public were out.

It is the first bridge in the city to have bike lanes on it.

Pedestrians will find this bridge a great bridge to walkover compare to another bridges within the city let alone other cities.

I find the Mississauga branding cheesy (at least they didn't prefix it with "The Corporation of the City of"), but this was a glaring missing link in the MCC grid. Great to see it finally open.

I find the Mississauga branding cheesy (at least they didn't prefix it with "The Corporation of the City of"), but this was a glaring missing link in the MCC grid. Great to see it finally open.

They should have used the logo too though.

This link has been planned for like 20 years or more I believe.

I think it would be cool if the roads here had reflectors on the lane markings like in California.

There should be another 2-3 auto crossings across the 403 in the MCC area, and at least as many pedestrian ones. The 403 is a barrier into the MCC.

Boy, that looks deceptively urban, a la sun belt Houston/Buckhead/whatever...

Very true. From a distance it gives the illusion of urban density. Because when you actually get into it, it doesn't really look or feel like a real downtown core by a long shot yet.

Not bad! Although, if I may add - why have cities in the Toronto area always chosen recently to plant sticks for trees. If this street were lined with trees that were destined for greatness and hardiness (given our Cdn winters), it would make Confed into a grand blvd effortlessly.

^ True, although these trees have a reasonable chance of living, unlike those in the silly concrete planter boxes in downtown Toronto.

It's good that this bridge already seems to be accepted by pedestrians. Slowly but surely people are realizing that you actually can walk in Miss.

Back