Sold for $90m. I would have thought this would be the kind of thing the City wanted to keep...

1611088755366.png

Sold for $90m. I would have thought this would be the kind of thing the City wanted to keep...

View attachment 295121

I hope they can keep at least some of the Moriyama and Teshima building.

AoD

View attachment 295121

I am not a real estate person but I thought it would’ve fetched way more than $90m. The Oxford/Daniels parcel up the street at Rathburn & Confederation looks smaller and they are planning to build 5 towers on it so this one could easily hold 4/5 towers plus retail on the ground level. On the other hand, the YMCA must be struggling with the pandemic effects and must be in real need for money quickly.

View attachment 295121
It wouldn't have mattered if the city wanted to keep it around anyway since it was YMCA's decision to sell their land. It's probably better for them in the long run anyway, since they get $90M. I suspect that the YMCA will most likely start working with a developer in MCC to build a new YMCA in the podium of a tower development. I'm also wondering if the city has plans to eventually open a community centre of their own for MCC. The area is going to need many more public amenities soon with all of this density being built.

It wouldn't have mattered if the city wanted to keep it around anyway since it was YMCA's decision to sell their land. It's probably better for them in the long run anyway, since they get $90M. I suspect that the YMCA will most likely start working with a developer in MCC to build a new YMCA in the podium of a tower development. I'm also wondering if the city has plans to eventually open a community centre of their own for MCC. The area is going to need many more public amenities soon with all of this density being built.
While not directly in the MCC, there is plans for a "Cooksville" community centre in the Hurontario/Dundas area. It will likely be part of a redevelopment of the TL Kennedy site. Aside from that, I doubt we will see another community centre built in the area any time soon, as that area is well served by Mississauga Valley Community Centre already.

Ugh pay wall. I’m not techy and I’m cheap.
Nugget:

The YMCA in downtown Mississauga has been sold to real estate development company HBNG Holborn Group (a subsidiary of RGF (Mississauga) Developments Inc.) for $90 million and will close by the end of 2025.​

I do wish this new development would accommodate a new Y on the site, but I don't imagine that's part of the sale.

AoD
Same. You would think the podium would be able to support it. It’s great to see buildings being built here but the amenities need to stay as well.

Back