Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like something is on the go..
I'm looking into it.
20200714144107.JPG
20200714144126.JPG

I didn't see anything for this site on the development applications map. Hopefully we see something soon.

A few months ago the YMCA parking lot was listed for sale by CBRE on behalf of YMCA, unsure if it sold. I remember seeing a photo which showed a future public road where the current parking lot driveway access is. Property to be severed at time of sale, existing YMCA building site is not part of the sale.

There is currently a Committee of Adjustment application in progress to sever this site. A variance is required in order for required parking for YMCA to be provided off site.

^^^

From the city planner:
" Yes, the YMCA is in talks with a developer to potentially sever the western portion of the lands for a development (where the parking is) and then provide the YMCA the replacement parking within an underground garage. There has been no applications filed as of yet and we have seen no development concept. We may have something by the Fall sometime. "

This is awesome! Can't wait to see this parking lot bite the dust!

It would be nice if the developer built a new Y in this development in exchange for re-developing the existing Y once it moved over.

This is awesome! Can't wait to see this parking lot bite the dust!

It would be nice if the developer built a new Y in this development in exchange for re-developing the existing Y once it moved over.
I agree. Still, great to finally see some densification on this plot. It's insane how it's quickly become surrounded by new development over the years.

Wow. Well, that's quite something. I didn't think this would happen for a long time...though their reasoning makes sense.

According to a Reddit post, the site of the YMCA building has been sold as well. The Y is expected to vacate the site within 5 years, within that timeframe they will be seeking a new site. Email (in text) from the Mississauga YMCA:

Information regarding the initial listing of the YMCA parking lot:
I’d be willing to bet that we‘ll find them located in the base of a large condo development, but to have it running in five years, it would have to be the next one on the drawing boards for, maybe Oxford and Daniels, or possibly at M City, possibly opening the Y before the towers were completed. They’ll have a hard time affording any site there for single purpose use.

RGF (Mississauga) Developments Inc. Acquires The Mississauga YMCA (yahoo.com)

RGF (Mississauga) Developments Inc. Acquires The Mississauga YMCA​

HBNG Holborn Group
Thu, January 14, 2021, 3:41 PM

TORONTO, Jan. 14, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The purchase of the YMCA in Mississauga, Ontario by RGF (Mississauga) Developments Inc. (led by HBNG Holborn Group) was officially closed on December 15, 2020. The 4.5-acre property comprising both the YMCA building and adjacent parking lot, is ideally situated on the north east corner of Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. and Confederation Pkwy.

The future development of this signature property will take place over several phases and will potentially consist of multiple mixed-use towers atop of ground floor retail. This project is expected to be a statement addition to the City of Mississauga’s unique and burgeoning skyline.

RGF President John A. D'Angelo says, "Population growth in Peel Region is projected to reach 2 million residents by 2041, thus we see this as an excellent opportunity to add to the much-needed housing supply of the region. With construction of the Hurontario LRT expected to be completed by 2024, Mississauga City Centre is primed for tremendous growth and connectivity in the coming years”.

By virtue of this exceptional location, future residents will enjoy access to not only world class shopping but also cultural amenities such as The Living Arts Centre and The Art Gallery of Mississauga as well as easy access to parks and conservation areas.

Through a mutually satisfactory agreement, Mississauga YMCA has negotiated a lease and will continue to operate at the property.

John A. D'Angelo
President, RGF (Mississauga) Developments Inc.
CEO, HBNG Holborn Group
jdangelo@HBNG.ca

Through a mutually satisfactory agreement, Mississauga YMCA has negotiated a lease and will continue to operate at the property.
I wonder if the plan is that "Phase 1" gets built on the parking lot with enough space for YMCA to move into, and then Phase 2 gets built on the current site.
Would seem like a reasonable compromise for the developer and for YMCA, as well as allowing it to stay open throughout...

Back