39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Entuitive10,760 followers1h • 1 hour ago
Following
Entuitive is excited to announce our recent win as Prime Consultants and Structural Engineers for the McDougall Hill Pedestrian Bridge in Edmonton, Alberta.

Our team has joined forces with Grimshaw, Dub Architects, O2 Planning + Design, and schlaich bergermann partner sbp.

Our combined team offers the experience, expertise, and vision to deliver this exciting and transformative project.

The McDougall Hill Bridge will become “the balcony of Downtown Edmonton,” providing a critical link that not only addresses the connectivity required for pedestrians to access the river valley, but also unlocking a vantage point to inspire people for decades to come.

Creating a new physical link between the Funicular Plaza and the McDougall Hill Lookout provides an occasion to invigorate the adjoining public spaces, reclaim and revegetate the landscape of McDougall Hill and, perhaps more importantly, to bring the edge to life.

The City of Edmonton has already completed a Feasibility Study (2019) that includes potential alignments, cost estimates, and structural options. The scope of the McDougall Hill Pedestrian Bridge Project will follow-on from this feasibility work and will be completed in four phases from concept through to delivery. Project delivery is dependent on available funding and budget approval.

Here's a conceptual drawing that was posted on the funicular thread

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.47.34 PM.png

Here's a conceptual drawing that was posted on the funicular thread

View attachment 364841
One thing I'd change in this is the width. I'd make it at least twice as wide, so we could have enough space for bikes, while keeping it safe for people walking and, especially, for those with mobility issues.

Another thing that I would LOVE to see is some sort of food/retail venue in the Funicular plaza. A little gift shop with a small cafe would be my dream, but I'd be happy with a good food truck.

That looks ~3m wide which is plenty for you would want folks walking bikes as opposed to riding.

The Hotel Mac does a food/hot dog/drink cart there at times but there is not enough traffic for much more.

The hope is that the north gondola terminus will have a cafe or something like that.

That looks ~3m wide which is plenty for you would want folks walking bikes as opposed to riding.

The Hotel Mac does a food/hot dog/drink cart there at times but there is not enough traffic for much more.

The hope is that the north gondola terminus will have a cafe or something like that.

1 - Wouldn't hurt to be ~4.5m wide, for example. Worst case scenario, it's more space for people who are exercising, etc...

2 - You and I will never see eye-to-eye on the supply induced vs demand induced debate. I disagree with you in so many ways here that it's not ever worth opening up this can of worms again.

3 - At least on something we agree. Who says it never happens?

standard SUP width on bridges is 4.2m (ie new Groat, AHD bridges, i say standard because the Groat project cited that width as such) and this project definitely needs to at least meet that standard. 100 ave is a major bike lane, this connection to the funicular and the SUS around the Mac connecting to 99 street will complete the route. people are gonna ride this, designer's vision regardless. that has to be planned for.
that being said, this looks pretty conceptual so I will reserve my whining for more detailed drawings, lol. otherwise this looks really good, a good compromise of utility and placemaking, without being super obtrusive on the valley.

McDougall Hill Pedestrian Overpass​

Project Website
Project Website

Budget - The project is more than 20% over its original targeted budget.​

Schedule - The project is currently on schedule.​

Scope - The project is within the scope approved in the project charter.​

Description:​

This project includes the design and construction of a pedestrian/cyclist bridge over McDougall Hill from McDonald Drive Promenade to the Funicular, providing a safe and accessible connection to the river valley and downtown.

Latest Update:​

Concept Design is anticipated to commence in October 2021 and is planned to be completed in Q1 2022.

Contact Information:​

Email: cyril.balitbit@edmonton.ca
Phone:780-496-7928

Approved Schedule​

December, 2022​

Forecasted Schedule​

December, 2022​

Approved Budget​

$800,000​

Forecasted Budget​

$1.43 million​

Back