News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

God no. Finch East needs upgraded, grade-separated transit service. Routing an extension away from it would be beyond foolish. Besides, there's already a Sheppard East LRT proposal. We need both lines.

In any case. Eglinton East is supposed to get extended to Malvern - and is probably more convenient (connection to OL, YUS, various GO lines, etc).

AoD

What if we replaced the stubway by making the Finch LRT veer south?
That's an interesting thought. Would need different rolling stock to work in both the subway and LRT sections (along with station modifications in the tunnel). Stay on Finch, east towards Bathurst, and then down Bathurst to Sheppard, east on Sheppard with a portal east of the West Don, diving down to a station box for Senlac, and meeting the existing subway (which already stretches as far west as where the station box for Senlac station would start).

Hits the more dense nodes at Finch/Bathurst and Sheppard/Bathurst. Probably pure fantasy though.

Running continuously on Finch is a nice thought, but with the Don, there is nothing to serve between Bayview and Leslie. The targets for service on Finch East are from Leslie to ... Warden?

Currently making a big ol fantasy map for fun but I think my ideas for finch-sheppard-and the eelrt are pretty realistic. I think line 6 should definitely be extended to malvern, meeting with the eelrt maybe even with a cross-platform transfer. If line 4 gets extended to mccowan, I think a branch of the eelrt or an extension of line 6 to sheppard and mccowan could make sense, but if line 4 gets extended to maybe UTSC instead (which I would prefer) I think having line 6 take over the northern section of the eelrt and having lines 4, 5, and 6 all meet at UTSC would be really great and provide one or two seat rides from most of Scarborough to UTSC. My preferred alignment of line 4 to utsc leaves sheppard around Kennedy so some surface lrt could defiantly still exist along sheppard, as a branch of lines 5 or 6, or as its own short service from agincourt to malvern or to utsc (though depending on frequencies of line 6 going to utsc may be harder. This would also be an issue for extending line 5 along sheppard east if line 6 went all the way to utsc)
finch.png

Running continuously on Finch is a nice thought, but with the Don, there is nothing to serve between Bayview and Leslie. The targets for service on Finch East are from Leslie to ... Warden?

Finch East bus is one of the busiest routes in the system. There are gaps where no density exists and none can be added, but overall, the demand is very solid and LRT will work well.

A brand new GTA GO train line is officially one step closer to reality

From link.

The GTA may become home to a brand new GO train line in the future as the Province officially commits to moving the project forward.

Minister of Transportation of Ontario Caroline Mulroney has directed Metrolinx to advance the business case for a proposed Caledon-Vaughan GO line. The business case — a comprehensive collection of evidence and analysis for a potential transit investment — is used as part of the final decision making process.

“Our Government has prioritized the expansion of GO rail services throughout the Greater Golden Horseshoe,” Ministry of Transportation spokesperson Dakota Brasier told Daily Hive. “Metrolinx will work with the Town of Caledon to monitor transit demand and advance the business case for passenger rail service.

This rail line has been a long-time hope for many, with Vaughan and the Town of Caledon advocating for more than a decade.
“As a municipality projected to grow by 300,000 people and 125,000 jobs by 2051, advancing GO train service to Caledon now is smart, forward-looking planning,” said Town of Caledon Mayor Allan Thompson. “It’s a critical option for reducing traffic congestion on our roads, preserving Caledon’s quality of life, and protecting our environment and green spaces. We thank the Province and Metrolinx for taking this important next step.”

According to a news release from the Town of Caledon, a Caledon-Vaughan GO line would serve approximately 1.3 million people from not just Caledon and Vaughan but Brampton and Toronto as well.

“The need for commuter rail service between Caledon, Vaughan, and Toronto’s Union Station has been identified and established through many studies, including the Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan (RTP-2008), MoveOntario 2020 and GO 2020 Strategic Plan as a desired service in the near-to-medium (15 years) timeline,” the release reads.

“In 2010, Metrolinx investigated and completed the Bolton (Caledon) Commuter Rail Service Feasibility Study, which reconfirmed the need for commuter GO rail service based on the growth in population and employment and high potential demand for rail ridership.”

Has provision been made for a connection with the Emery Stop (Weston Road) and the GO Station?

From link.

1642806093064.png

A brand new GTA GO train line is officially one step closer to reality

From link.

Has provision been made for a connection with the Emery Stop (Weston Road) and the GO Station?

From link.

View attachment 375963
If someone could plot the likely locations of those stations on Google Maps, you'd be my best friend. I think some would be a guess, but I believe Bolton/Caledon has been secured. Also, this map would now likely include Mt. Dennis, Liberty Village, and maybe Lower Spadina as well.

What's so bad about the map, @nfitz?
Stared it for a long time trying to figure out which one was Finch West (spoilers - none).

The poster says it's a fantasy map. It has nothing to do with the Finch West LRT, and shouldn't be in this thread. Though at least some labels would make it more comprehensible. As would making Military Trail a straight line.

Reactions: PL1
Finch East bus is one of the busiest routes in the system. There are gaps where no density exists and none can be added, but overall, the demand is very solid and LRT will work well.
Only because of what's east of Leslie - particularly Centennial. How much traffic would remain between Leslie and Yonge if (when?) the Ontario Line is extended as far as Finch?

Only because of what's east of Leslie - particularly Centennial. How much traffic would remain between Leslie and Yonge if (when?) the Ontario Line is extended as far as Finch?

Less than today, but still quite a few. Not everyone goes downtown; some riders from the east will go to places along Yonge, and some to York U. And some riders from west-of-Yonge will go to Centennial.

Shouldn't - the article says it's power grid problems - not problems with the vehicle.
Says a little lower that it seems to actually have been issues with the overhead wires. Not sure if its the same design, hopefully not.

Rideau Transit Maintenance (RTM) sent technicians to investigate, with their initial inspections finding the frigid temperatures affected the overhead wires, according to the update.

Back