News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Getting it to Seneca's Newnham Campus would be an ideal termination point. I also wish they'd call the it Line 6 Finch instead of Line 6 Finch West. We don't call Line 4 Sheppard East, as we know it will *one day* go west too.
This post from Steven Munro way back in 2009 implies the original funding announcement was to take it east to Don Mills Road and then south to Don Mills Station on Line 4.

There is no plan. I don't think that portion has been discussed by politicians since McGuinty cut it.

Seeing how construction of this line is smoothly moving along at a brisk pace, now would be the time to fund the next extension, but I fear it'll be one of those classic Toronto things where nothing gets done for a decade for no reason whatsoever.
I suspect such an extension (partly) hinges on the construction of the terminus at Finch station, YNSE might generate too much chaos for an LRT terminus to be dug up and built at the same time, but this assumes this extension would even get approved by that time (lol).
Or maybe not. Apart from maybe having to worry about a small bridge and an underpass, this 6km~ extension built at-grade seems very feasible. Finch West has made an excellent example of how (relatively) cheap and fast at-grade LRT construction can be built. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the proposed budget for an extension would still approach 1 billion because of Finch station.
I'm praying Finch West opens on time (and before Eglinton's new scheduled opening for greater effect) so there'll be a lot more support for the construction of more lines like it.

I suspect such an extension (partly) hinges on the construction of the terminus at Finch station, YNSE might generate too much chaos for an LRT terminus to be dug up and built at the same time, but this assumes this extension would even get approved by that time (lol).
Or maybe not. Apart from maybe having to worry about a small bridge and an underpass, this 6km~ extension built at-grade seems very feasible. Finch West has made an excellent example of how (relatively) cheap and fast at-grade LRT construction can be built. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the proposed budget for an extension would still approach 1 billion because of Finch station.
I'm praying Finch West opens on time (and before Eglinton's new scheduled opening for greater effect) so there'll be a lot more support for the construction of more lines like it.
Could you imagine if they built the Finch LRT to Yonge and then found out it hindered construction of the Yonge line extension so they decided it was just too hard and made the extension a separate line? I mean could you imagine Metrolinx and the City doing something like that? No never.

It's not likely to happen for many reasons (such as Hydro One), but if they could somehow swing an eastward extension of the Finch W LRT into the hydro corridor, they could perhaps avoid tunnelling.

Likely this is more a fantasy than a plausible idea, unfortunately

Getting it to Seneca's Newnham Campus would be an ideal termination point. I also wish they'd call the it Line 6 Finch instead of Line 6 Finch West. We don't call Line 4 Sheppard East, as we know it will *one day* go west too.
It would presumably intersect a future Ontario Line extension, so this is a very logical termination point.

Finch Station happens to be located entirely north of Finch Avenue. The Finch LRT would run under Finch Avenue, and therefore it's highly unlikely that construction from YNSE would have substantial impacts on Finch.

Also keep in mind that this extension has already been assessed and found to be viable.

The only barrier to this extension is political sign-on.

I do hope Queen's Park immediately pushes for an extension, because I suspect it would cheaper/easier to continue this phase of construction, and add a few dozen vehicles to the current order. This is basically what they did with the Eglinton West LRT.

If this were to happen, the extension to Yonge would open in a few years, and likely long before the Crosstown is complete...

(I'm joking about the Crosstown... I think)

Let's remember the only reason Finch West is getting built is because Doug couldnt go along and cancel it since the cancellation penalty was too heavy and he'd look like a bigger buffoon then he already is. And we know the reason why the Eglinton West LRT is being built as well.

So unless a Finch east extension is completely tunneled, Doug wont be putting 1 cent to the line.

Let's remember the only reason Finch West is getting built is because Doug couldnt go along and cancel it since the cancellation penalty was too heavy and he'd look like a bigger buffoon then he already is. And we know the reason why the Eglinton West LRT is being built as well.

So unless a Finch east extension is completely tunneled, Doug wont be putting 1 cent to the line.
Let him tunnel it then lol

Finch LRT extension to Yonge in the hydro corridor? Kinda like the Waterloo LRT off-road sections.

Finch LRT extension to Yonge in the hydro corridor? Kinda like the Waterloo LRT off-road sections.
Finch LRT would be a mess in the hydro corridor. It's only 6km and it will be underground to start in the west for Finch West and have to go underground for Finch station. It should be completely buried.

Finch LRT would be a mess in the hydro corridor. It's only 6km and it will be underground to start in the west for Finch West and have to go underground for Finch station. It should be completely buried.
Lol completely burying it makes no sense on a cost per kilometre basis. Doesn’t need to be buried at Yonge, you can have an elevated connection.

Lol completely burying it makes no sense on a cost per kilometre basis. Doesn’t need to be buried at Yonge, you can have an elevated connection.
How exactly would that be a good connection when the subway is two story under? Plus the properties in that neighbourhood are worth millions. Richer people matters more in decision making and they would not build an eyesore there. They have more ability to speak out and more money to hire lawyers to fight such a decision. Thorncliffe Park would totally be okay cause poor people can either take it or not get anything.

I do think Finch West to Dufferin should be tunneled to help commercial truck movements. They need a grade separation with the Barrie Line anyways. East of Dufferin to Talbot could remain on the surface. Ridership is supposedly lower between Finch West and Finch. A shallow tunnel from Talbot to Finch Station would help reduce connection time to the subway.

Probably it would remain tunneled to the Don River shall the line extend east of Yonge. Then it could be surface to about Don Mills where it can meet up with the future OL. The line could be elevated from Don Mills to Victoria Park to get pass the 404. If they ever build it out that far east. East of that, a surface LRT should be fine. They could connect it to Line 2 either by turning south on McCowan or extend Line 2 to Finch. They can build a subway on Sheppard for all they want.

Back