News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Maybe they'll have colourful advertising wraps on them?
and the drab base colour won't conflict with the advertising?
Wouldn't be surprising if this was part of the reasoning. On top of the weird "when people think of subways, they think of the colour grey" consultant-derived nonsense that metrolinx gave as a justification.

That said, the TTC puts ad wraps on red streetcars and it's not an issue.

Why would that be an issue? The stops are announced and it's not like the route changes like a bus would
I am far more sympathetic to vehicle ads than the average person, I think if well done and not covering the windows they can add an unexpected splash of colour to the ride and any ad will almost certainly look better than the graphic abominations they have chosen for the two LRT projects, but it's not good enough that the stops are announced and the route is fixed. Not being able to see outside the windows of a transit vehicle is a huge passenger comfort issue. It wouldn't be an issue if the cars had no lights or seats, either, but there are certain levels of comfort that should be respected.

That being said, provided a break is left in the middle, as most (not all) ads that have been placed on Flexitys have been, I don't think this is a problem.
1675098101804.png

ATTACH]

I feel like at this point we're looking for issues. Also has anyone noticed a lot of the buses have 0 ads on the outside? Especially the orions.

It's not great for passengers riding the streetcar, and makes it very difficult to see outside.
Passengers would miss the store front signs announcing their sale. Otherwise it would be like a subway, without a view of the stores they pass by.

I feel like at this point we're looking for issues. Also has anyone noticed a lot of the buses have 0 ads on the outside? Especially the orions.
*I* find it irritating and annoying to look through an ad, like I find it annoying to look through salty and grimy windows. I doubt I am the only one annoyed by them. Please accept that when someone tells you that they are annoyed by something, 1) there will be others similarly annoyed; 2 there will be others that don't care. And there is a continuum of opinion.

There are ways to make the ads less obtrusive.

*I* find it irritating and annoying to look through an ad, like I find it annoying to look through salty and grimy windows. I doubt I am the only one annoyed by them. Please accept that when someone tells you that they are annoyed by something, 1) there will be others similarly annoyed; 2 there will be others that don't care. And there is a continuum of opinion.

There are ways to make the ads less obtrusive.
Are you and the majority of riders willing to pay more to get rid of these types of ads? If we complain too much about small issues people won't care when big ones are brought up

It's kind of the same situation as naming rights for public venues, hospitals, universities etc.. On one hand, the revenues raised through ads and naming are dollars that don't have to be raised through taxes, while on the other hand, we are selling our mental real estate for a relative pittance. I still call Rogers Centre SkyDome, dammit. I think most people would be shocked at how little revenue actually comes from ads/naming. A few percentage points at most. From what I gather, TTC revenues are 2-3% from ads.

I wonder if giving credit to private enterprise is worth demeaning the value the state provides in making these institutions possible.

Are you and the majority of riders willing to pay more to get rid of these types of ads? If we complain too much about small issues people won't care when big ones are brought up
Just slightly higher in this thread is an example where there is a gap in the ad. That's a possibility.

Also, just because I don't like the wrapped busses, I'm not going to avoid them. Getting home or to work faster is more important to me than my annoyance at the ads.

Back