News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Rode the O-train (what a terrible name) in Ottawa for fun on the weekend. I was surprised how spacious and high ceiling the cars were in person.
It felt very different vs riding the flexity cars

View attachment 459170

Opinions are subjective, but why do you dislike the name O-Train?
I think it's clever. The O stands for Ottawa, and it simultaneously works well for Ottawa's bilingual character and population as << au train >> in French.

Opinions are subjective, but why do you dislike the name O-Train?
I think it's clever. The O stands for Ottawa, and it simultaneously works well for Ottawa's bilingual character and population as << au train >> in French.
Think that "wordTO" is better. Hmmm. FinchWestTO?

Think that "wordTO" is better. Hmmm. FinchWestTO?
Haha well no, but I know you are joking ;)
I think Finch West should just be called Line 6, or maybe LRT Line 2: Ontario's Revenge (for that Botched Bombardier Streetcar Order, But We Have Faith that Things are Definitely Going to Work Out Much Better with the O-Train LRVs).

But I think that might look a bit cramped on the signs.

Rode the O-train (what a terrible name) in Ottawa for fun on the weekend. I was surprised how spacious and high ceiling the cars were in person.

View attachment 459170

We've found the only positive review of Ottawa's LRT system on the internet. Someone alert SNC Lavalin marketing team.

View attachment 459170

I didn't like how constrictive the bellows between segments were on the Alstoms. To me it made them feel less open with all those bottlenecks when looking down the train from front to back. On the plus side, the individual names given to each LRV gave them character. I made sure to catch the name of each train I rode.

Haha well no, but I know you are joking ;)
I think Finch West should just be called Line 6, or maybe LRT Line 2: Ontario's Revenge (for that Botched Bombardier Streetcar Order, But We Have Faith that Things are Definitely Going to Work Out Much Better with the O-Train LRVs).

But I think that might look a bit cramped on the signs.
I think it should be called the 536

Calling it 536 means that we would have to change the Eglinton LRT to... 505. What do we change the existing Dundas streetcar to then?... (btw did they just suddenly forget about the controversy surrounding the name of Dundas?)

I think it should be called the 536
Using the same naming convention as the downtown streetcar network would be misleading and not very accurate. The LRT trains are a different model, cannot go on streetcar tracks and the line operates differently from even grade seperated lines like spadina and st.clair. Its a distinct service and I feel line 6 is as good a name we are going to get

Calling it 536 means that we would have to change the Eglinton LRT to... 505. What do we change the existing Dundas streetcar to then?... (btw did they just suddenly forget about the controversy surrounding the name of Dundas?)
Early city/TTC drawings have a 532 Eglinton line. Of course that is pre transit city.

Using the same naming convention as the downtown streetcar network would be misleading and not very accurate. The LRT trains are a different model, cannot go on streetcar tracks
I fail to see how that matters. We still called the SRT Line 3, and Line 5/6 are nothing like Lines 1,2, and 4. The 536 is a far more accurate name to the type of service it offers compared to Line 6.
and the line operates differently from even grade seperated lines like spadina and st.clair.
Not really? The only thing that's different between Finch West and Spadina is ultimately stop spacing, which makes sense since its in the suburbs and not downtown (even then, many would argue that St. Clair should have some stops cut), as well as maybe TSP (but the streetcars should have that anyway). The average layman isn't going to be able to tell the difference between the two, meanwhile they absolutely will be able to tell the difference between Finch West and the Subway. They're not comparable at all.

Personally I don't see the hooplah about transit line numberings. I fail to see the concern about confusing the line with the downtown network (the average passenger is far too oblivious for that), but I also don't see why it matters that it is the 6 or the 536. (And if was going to be a 5xx route, surely 513, no? Why the big gap?) It's not like the number affects usage or understanding of the service; you need to go somewhere along the route, you'll go there, regardless of if it's 6, 536, VI, or alien letters from Mars. As long as it's not duplicated with any pre-existing route number, it's all good.

Personally I don't see the hooplah about transit line numberings. I fail to see the concern about confusing the line with the downtown network (the average passenger is far too oblivious for that), but I also don't see why it matters that it is the 6 or the 536. (And if was going to be a 5xx route, surely 513, no? Why the big gap?) It's not like the number affects usage or understanding of the service; you need to go somewhere along the route, you'll go there, regardless of if it's 6, 536, VI, or alien letters from Mars. As long as it's not duplicated with any pre-existing route number, it's all good.
536 is in reference to the 36 bus that currently services the corridor.

Back