News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Reverse NIMBYs advocating for investment in their streets are a good thing. When Rob Ford was parading down our beloved Eglinton claiming that the LRT would rip away a lane, the local population was having none of it and booed him.

As for these urban street revitalization projects like Connects, I would love for the city to have an actual model to follow. Eglinton Connects is good, but it needed its own political champions and was still subject to the political meddling in the mayoral election. I don't doubt it would come under fire again in the 2018 and 2022 elections.

Another model to look at is Waterfront Toronto's.

The Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for the Finch West LRT has now closed. Metrolinx is currently evaluating submissions. The shortlisted applicants will be able to bid on the Request for Proposal in January 2016.

This...this looks good. I can't see Metrolinx being opposed to this.

capgfinchmsf-feedback-on-copy2.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Just wait until you see the as-built after the acoustical report recommends 12 foot high concrete walls between the building and the sidewalk!

Just wait until you see the as-built after the acoustical report recommends 12 foot high concrete walls between the building and the sidewalk!

Is the LRT facility going to be very noisy?

It is not a freight rail yard. More like a car body shop. The majority of trains will be just stored there; only a few will need maintenance on any given day.

Take a look at the walls behind the current Roncesvalles carbarns. The tops are transparent. And they're next door to St Joseph Health Centre and a seniors resident

I haven't been out to Leslie to do a sound check...but....having lived beside Roncy for several years.....the biggest noise in an LRT yard is the squeal of the vehicles on the curves.

At Roncy, every car in the yard seemed to do three circuits of the loop per day, at least. One, to spot the cars in the carhouse for cleaning; two, to move them back into the ladder tracks to be ready for service the next day, and three, when the operator went into service in the morning. Most of this happened at night, making sleeping very difficult. And, there were jarring crashes when the yard staff misjudged distance or discovered a car with weak brakes.

12 feet for sound baffling sounds about right.

- Paul

I haven't been out to Leslie to do a sound check...but....having lived beside Roncy for several years.....the biggest noise in an LRT yard is the squeal of the vehicles on the curves.

At Roncy, every car in the yard seemed to do three circuits of the loop per day, at least. One, to spot the cars in the carhouse for cleaning; two, to move them back into the ladder tracks to be ready for service the next day, and three, when the operator went into service in the morning. Most of this happened at night, making sleeping very difficult. And, there were jarring crashes when the yard staff misjudged distance or discovered a car with weak brakes.

12 feet for sound baffling sounds about right.

- Paul

Damn. How often did yard staff put the LRVs in collisions? Was this every night?

Damn. How often did yard staff put the LRVs in collisions? Was this every night?

Not every night, but often enough to make you think, "damn - another one out of service?". They are pretty durable machines, I guess.

One also got to know the sound of brakes full-on. No hit, no foul.

- Paul

Well I suppose it's better to have them crash in the yard than on the streets. Still makes me a little nervous that it happens so often though.

Is the LRT facility going to be very noisy?

It is not a freight rail yard. More like a car body shop. The majority of trains will be just stored there; only a few will need maintenance on any given day.
My comment was quite directly a reference to the Leslie Barn, which, after having a lovely streetscape view designed, promptly was built with a huge noise wall covering the view.
My joke is that there will be all this street-facing retail, but they'll put up a wall separating it from the sidewalk.

Realistically, noise prevention should only be needed on the tracks side of the development. The buildings themselves (in this alternate proposal) will work as noise barriers for the south.

Steve Munro points out on Twitter that Transit City style LRT constitutes the "low end of LRT". I agree completely. It's foolish to call Transit City a streetcar, but in many ways it is close to the streetcar end of the scale.

Perhaps part of the solution to opposition to LRT is to demand that LRT in Toronto be medium or high-end LRT?

Capturesteve.PNG

Attachments

• Capturesteve.PNG
    Capturesteve.PNG
    50.1 KB · Views: 937
Perhaps part of the solution to opposition to LRT is to demand that LRT in Toronto be medium or high-end LRT?

How would you go about doing that? We know that on Sheppard reducing the number of stops increased speed and had a insignificant impact on travel speed, as the increased dwell times in stations offset the increased speed in travel (when not in station).

the easy answer that everyone wants to hear: TUNNEL :)

or elevated....but seriously, these people need to accept the reality that they cant get everything they want. If theyre so against it they can simply move out to beside the subways

Back