News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Also the knockouts at the end of each Sheppard line platform.

And I have no proof of it, but I'm almost certain provisions for a Bremner LRT were made in the construction of the Galleria at Scotiabank Arena and under the courtyard in front of Telus House

Also the knockouts at the end of each Sheppard line platform.

And I have no proof of it, but I'm almost certain provisions for a Bremner LRT were made in the construction of the Galleria at Scotiabank Arena and under the courtyard in front of Telus House
The arena has a tunnel under it for the Bremmer Line, but the portal will be on the westside of York St now, not as plan if it every gets built. Not in any 25 year plan at this time. There will be a knock out panel in the rebuilt Union Loop for Bremmer.

The arena has a tunnel under it for the Bremmer Line, but the portal will be on the westside of York St now, not as plan if it every gets built. Not in any 25 year plan at this time. There will be a knock out panel in the rebuilt Union Loop for Bremmer.

I'm pretty sure I've been in the tunnel under the Galleria (not much to see, just looked like any other concrete box at the time), but maybe you can shed light on something I've been wondering about for years.

1637173602190.png

I could swear that during the construction of Telus House that whole area got excavated, and I could also swear that I saw a largish box structure being formed, waterproofed, and buried in the general vicinity of those lines above. Am I crazy? Or was there a structure, but it was something else (utilities? loading? steam tunnels?)?

Edit: Here's the only photo from above that I can find in the Telus House thread. It's post #496:
Older photo from taken from the TD Centre on July 15:

It looks like there's road decking there, right to the north of that red truck. And using the truck for scale, I think that box would be big enough to allow for a pair of streetcars to pass each other? So is that what we're looking at? This pops up in my memory every couple years and it bothers me because I've never been able to figure out how far the purported Bremner LRT tunnel actually goes, where it is, how deep it is, how much of it was built... And then I have this fuzzy memory of watching them waterproof the top of a concrete box right in that spot, but I can't even tell if I actually remember it, or if that's a false memory that I've just convinced myself of over the years.

Last edited:
Last edited:
See attachment 2 (page 5):

Interesting to note that this route change (plus easement) took place under Lastman, and well after the Arena was built.

So if the decision to bring service into the Union loop was made in 2003, but the tunnel under the Galleria was built in 1997/8 (I would've walked through it in '98), was the Galleria tunnel just built to accommodate a pedestrian connection, or was it future-proofed to allow for a then-hypothetical LRT service?

And if that trench that I found the 2008 picture of is actually for the Bremner LRT is there really a continuous tunnel running from the end of Bremner to the tunnel under Bay? And, would that tunnel (if it is a tunnel) be at a depth/alignment to support the new 30-year plan to have a portal west of York?

I know the thought of a Bremner LRT is a remote thing that maybe my grandkids might ride on, but I'm still curious about what's actually there. And partly because I'm trying to sort out my own recollections!

The light rail track curves have a wider radius of 25 metres. Compare with the downtown streetcar track radius, which is narrower at 10.973 m, because of the narrower streets and corners. The Flexity Freedom and Alstom Citadis Spirit light rail vehicles cannot handle the downtown streets because of the steeper hills and tighter corners (they are also wider).

Last edited:
So weird they didn't plan for having these at the stops. Also means they're just gonna be awkwardly shoved onto the platforms, rather than intelligently integrated into the design (like how Ottawa integrated it's fare vending machines into the "Lantern" at the entrance of each station)

So weird they didn't plan for having these at the stops. Also means they're just gonna be awkwardly shoved onto the platforms, rather than intelligently integrated into the design (like how Ottawa integrated it's fare vending machines into the "Lantern" at the entrance of each station)
The line is built by Metrolinx. The fare system is run by TTC. Sounds like the 2 didn't talk about it.

lol what - they specced out the lines without fare vending machines? Did they just expect no non-presto users would use those stations?
Why are you surprised? Like the viva stops or other BRT/LRT system. Surface stops don't usually sell smartcards or tickets as people are more likely to attempt to vandalize them.

Anyways, inline with other systems, a set of card readers and a cash collection ticket machine would be installed. Similar to what's onboard the streetcars. They can print you a transfer for paying cash or what someone systems do is issue an activated single use presto ticket to be used immediately.

What this proposal meant to do is to allow users to buy and load presto cards or presto tickets for future use. So they don't have to go to a subway station or Shoppers to get access.

When the Toronto Transportation Commission (now the Toronto Transit Commission) was created in 1921, it was "conceived" out of the Toronto Civic Railway (1912-`921). It got "experience" from the TCR and with "adjustments" was able to run the TTC successfully (until inexperienced politicians started interfering with it).

Metrolinx (2006-present) only had experience running GO trains and buses, not local rapid transit. Still trying to get experience.

Why are you surprised? Like the viva stops or other BRT/LRT system. Surface stops don't usually sell smartcards or tickets as people are more likely to attempt to vandalize them.
As a GRT ION and GO Transit passenger, this is news to me.

The report makes it sound like previously you could only board if you have a Presto card with money already on it, which isn't great. If you can't turn up at a stop or station and pay your fare in cash, people are going to get left out - not everyone has a debit card, or enough time and money to go buy a Presto card.

Back