News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If they are accessed by paying a TTC fare, I see no reason why they should not be TTC red. The only logic I can surmise is they want to avoid association with slow TTC streetcar service.

Well to be fair Line 6 is coloured grey by the TTC.

But we didn't get orange trains for Line 5!! 😒
The colour grey is also often branded as "silver". Same as goldenrod for "gold".
We won't get a Gold line since there's already line 1 and line 5.

Found this on YouTube. Trains seem to be moving quite fast plus we get some horn action.

I must say I’m so impressed with the performance of the Finch LRT. Especially when you consider how rapidly the project has been built, while remaining relatively inexpensive. I little doubt that commuters will be very happy with the upgrade.

In light of this, I hope the City and the Province aggressively pursues extensions to Yonge and beyond.

Indeed, I hope Finch is just one of many suburban light rail lines built. Continual modest investment in light rail over the next several decades can see most of our most used suburban surface routes replaced with rail. Along with continual invest in metro and region rail, further light rail expansion will make our network even more robust, and will continue Toronto’s golden age of transport expansion.

The extension to Yonge makes the most sense, especially as Yonge line will be going more north. Although the extension on the Sheppard line to Sheppard West is honestly more preferable, if it can't happen, then the Finch extension works just as fine. If both happens anyways then that would be fantastic.

Between connecting the 2 sides of Line 1 with higher order transit (and hopefully relieving Bloor-Yonge with the most possible methods and realistic way), you would have 2 southern connections with Ontario and Bloor-Danforth, a midtown connection with Eglinton, and 2 northern connections with Sheppard and Finch (and one more northern connection if we count Highway 7's BRT, maybe the frequency and demand of Orange or a new routing will change once the Yonge extension is complete). Hopefully in the distant future they allow St Clair to have less stops and more priority on the streetcars at least between the 2 sides alone to start. Now that in total will end up being 8 whole efficient connections which is really saying much when we only just have 1 (or 2) currently.

I must say I’m so impressed with the performance of the Finch LRT. Especially when you consider how rapidly the project has been built, while remaining relatively inexpensive. I little doubt that commuters will be very happy with the upgrade.

In light of this, I hope the City and the Province aggressively pursues extensions to Yonge and beyond.

Indeed, I hope Finch is just one of many suburban light rail lines built. Continual modest investment in light rail over the next several decades can see most of our most used suburban surface routes replaced with rail. Along with continual invest in metro and region rail, further light rail expansion will make our network even more robust, and will continue Toronto’s golden age of transport expansion.
Agreed, it looks like it moves as fast as Berlin's trams (which really fly).

Well to be fair Line 6 is coloured grey by the TTC.

But we didn't get orange trains for Line 5!! 😒
True but I wished all the LRTs were painted the same colour as the streetcars rather than the subway trains. It would add so much needed colour on our suburban corridors. This city is so drab.

The extension to Yonge makes the most sense, especially as Yonge line will be going more north. Although the extension on the Sheppard line to Sheppard West is honestly more preferable, if it can't happen, then the Finch extension works just as fine. If both happens anyways then that would be fantastic.

Between connecting the 2 sides of Line 1 with higher order transit (and hopefully relieving Bloor-Yonge with the most possible methods and realistic way), you would have 2 southern connections with Ontario and Bloor-Danforth, a midtown connection with Eglinton, and 2 northern connections with Sheppard and Finch (and one more northern connection if we count Highway 7's BRT, maybe the frequency and demand of Orange or a new routing will change once the Yonge extension is complete). Hopefully in the distant future they allow St Clair to have less stops and more priority on the streetcars at least between the 2 sides alone to start. Now that in total will end up being 8 whole efficient connections which is really saying much when we only just have 1 (or 2) currently.
Finch and Sheppard should both connect the 1 line on the east west axis.

Found this on YouTube. Trains seem to be moving quite fast plus we get some horn action.

Agreed, it looks like it moves as fast as Berlin's trams (which really fly).
Up until now, our only point of comparison in Toronto was our legacy streetcar network. So these light rail vehicles move a lot faster than I was anticipating.

The suburban environment has far fewer operational obstacles than downtown. This means fewer traffic lights, fewer turning/parking cars blocking the LRVs path, and fewer pedestrians getting in the way. The trains get up to speed quickly, and maintain that speed for some distance. That's not true of the downtown streetcars.

In hindsight, this are really obvious observations, but seeing it in person is really something.

I'm still concerned about transit signal priority, but even without that, I can't see anyone wanting to go back to the days of riding the bus. On the contrary, I'd imagine that transit riders elsewhere on Finch will be pretty disheartened that the FWLRT hasn't reached them yet.

I'm eager to see what an expanded suburban light rail network could do for Toronto. Alongside RER and subway expansions, I'd imagine that an expanded light rail network would make suburban public transport a rather pleasant experience.

Last edited:

Back