News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

quick msf shot from today
also there's now 2 eastbound lanes + left turn lane at norfinch (first time this area of finch has been usable in a long time)
unnamed.jpg

These are a lot more sleeker to the eye
Huh? They look like a box and have badly placed doors on them whoever designed them must have been blinded or have no idea what they were doing. Alstom should go back to the drawing board with them before they try to sell them to anyone else.

Huh? They look like a box and have badly placed doors on them whoever designed them must have been blinded or have no idea what they were doing. Alstom should go back to the drawing board with them before they try to sell them to anyone else.
Maybe it was Ottawa that forced them to design such door placements as they were interested in a metro car in light rail form. Perhaps they asked for larger metro train motors that needed more space. The spirit has less module than the typical Citadis trams in Europe. Then dumbass ML came along fearing the Flexity won't arrive on time and ask them for this unproven design to be modified to fit on Finch/Hurontario.

Maybe it was Ottawa that forced them to design such door placements as they were interested in a metro car in light rail form. Perhaps they asked for larger metro train motors that needed more space. The spirit has less module than the typical Citadis trams in Europe. Then dumbass ML came along fearing the Flexity won't arrive on time and ask them for this unproven design to be modified to fit on Finch/Hurontario.
I saw them and rode them in Ottawa and I wasn't impressed by them there so I don't really see why people are saying they are so amazing here. They are very boxy looking I think the fixities were designed better because they have real-world counterparts in Europe whereas the things that Alstom designed were brand new and have no counterpart anywhere.

I saw them and rode them in Ottawa and I wasn't impressed by them there so I don't really see why people are saying they are so amazing here. They are very boxy looking I think the fixities were designed better because they have real-world counterparts in Europe whereas the things that Alstom designed were brand new and have no counterpart anywhere.
Yeah, no.
The Flexity Outlook and Freedom are new variants of the Flexity family created by Bombardier, now Alstom, for the Canadian market.
The Citadis Spirit is a new variant of the Citadis family created by Alstom for the Canadian market.

A simple Google search shows that Wikipedia says that Citadis trams do operate in Europe. As a matter of fact, over 2300 Citadis trams have been sold as of 2017 operating in every inhabited continent. There are 3500 Flexity vehicles as of 2015.

Aesthetic is a personal opinion. You can say that with all the T1 trains and all the older rectangular box buses. The spirit does offer to carry more riders for its length than the Flexity. Plus improved flow with dual sliding doors at every doorway. The 2 single doors at each end on the Flexity will be a major bottleneck.

I do feel that the doors are awkwardly place. If you look at most European/Australian cities, their Citadis is way more balanced.

Plus improved flow with dual sliding doors at every doorway.
Not really because they are placed in different modules from ones that people are sitting in, one thing that helps is we don't have the stupid center poles that Ottawa does. Metrolinx shouldn't have ordered these without a full request for tenders they sole sourced the contract for no reason at all and probably got hosed on the price too.

Not really because they are placed in different modules from ones that people are sitting in, one thing that helps is we don't have the stupid center poles that Ottawa does. Metrolinx shouldn't have ordered these without a full request for tenders they sole sourced the contract for no reason at all and probably got hosed on the price too.
Definitely a mistake. They weren't designed for Finch either. We ended up with 48m trains instead of 60m.

Back