News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Is the Finch LRT as high quality of transit as a subway? No. Is it better service than the streetcar network? Yes. Both Eglinton and Finch will have surface portions that have more infrastructure than the streetcar network (larger stop spacing, more substantial stops, a dedicated right of way), plus if Eglinton East is ever built that’s another in this “middle” category. It’s fine to use the numbering for this imo.

Also, I don’t think someone is going to be like “I need to get from King Station to Humber College… oh wait the Finch Line is an LRT not a subway? I’m not going to make that trip anymore”. People also use apps like Google to estimate travel time, so it’s not like they’re going to be surprised that an LRT takes longer than a subway on Finch.

I think Finch West should be buried between Keele and Yonge. We have a chance to not make the same mistake as Eglinton with a non-grade separated central section. I'm just happy we are finally building transit. It's time the TTC offer people outside of the Downtown core a readable alternative to driving, busses in traffic are just not competitive and too slow.

I think Finch West should be buried between Keele and Yonge. We have a chance to not make the same mistake as Eglinton with a non-grade separated central section. I'm just happy we are finally building transit. It's time the TTC offer people outside of the Downtown core a readable alternative to driving, busses in traffic are just not competitive and too slow.
We'd be lucky to even get finch west between Keele and Yonge

The Finch West LRT was to have been continued east to Yonge & Finch, but Mayor Rob Ford did not like streetcars nor light rail. He also killed the Transit City Bus Plan.

transit_city_busplan.jpeg

From link, dated 2009.

See the thread at this link.

We'd be lucky to even get finch west between Keele and Yonge
We are literally getting closer every day, North Yonge extension helps the case of Finch West East extension as Finch station is already incredibly busy being the Terminal for Line 1. Finch was the 6th busiest TTC station in 2019, out of 75. So by building Line 1 up to Richmond Hill there will definitely be fewer trips in Finch station. Finally, we forget how quickly things have already happened Finch West is finishing this year and Finch West station opened in December 2017. I'm just very excited transit is finally being built, but as everyone knows a northern crosstown route is a top priority.
oCGBJKJk.png
RMtranist Map

We are literally getting closer every day, North Yonge extension helps the case of Finch West East extension as Finch station is already incredibly busy being the Terminal for Line 1. Finch was the 6th busiest TTC station in 2019, out of 75. So by building Line 1 up to Richmond Hill there will definitely be fewer trips in Finch station. Finally, we forget how quickly things have already happened Finch West is finishing this year and Finch West station opened in December 2017. I'm just very excited transit is finally being built, but as everyone knows a northern crosstown route is a top priority.View attachment 461054 RMtranist Map

Apparently a northern crosstown is not a priority and the ,407 transit way should be used as the northern crosstown link...... I'm just reiterating what someone said to me in these treads recently

The Finch West LRT was to have been continued east to Yonge & Finch, but Mayor Rob Ford did not like streetcars nor light rail. He also killed the Transit City Bus Plan.

transit_city_busplan.jpeg

From link, dated 2009.

See the thread at this link.
Don't most of these routes already run at 10 minute or better? At least pre covid?

We are literally getting closer every day, North Yonge extension helps the case of Finch West East extension as Finch station is already incredibly busy being the Terminal for Line 1. Finch was the 6th busiest TTC station in 2019, out of 75. So by building Line 1 up to Richmond Hill there will definitely be fewer trips in Finch station. Finally, we forget how quickly things have already happened Finch West is finishing this year and Finch West station opened in December 2017. I'm just very excited transit is finally being built, but as everyone knows a northern crosstown route is a top priority.View attachment 461054 RMtranist Map
I see this photo shows a Sheppard West Extension instead, so ... which one will it be

I do wonder if we are going to get an extension of the Finch West LRT south to at least Woodbine, sooner rather than later. The big issue is crossing the Humber River. But it is Dougie's riding, and he loves that Woodbine development (which I suspect will be a bit of a flop, tbh), so it might happen...

I do wonder if we are going to get an extension of the Finch West LRT south to at least Woodbine, sooner rather than later. The big issue is crossing the Humber River. But it is Dougie's riding, and he loves that Woodbine development (which I suspect will be a bit of a flop, tbh), so it might happen...
Eventually, I don't doubt it. That development looks huge. I know some people have proposed it goes south to Pearson as well.

Apparently a northern crosstown is not a priority and the ,407 transit way should be used as the northern crosstown link...... I'm just reiterating what someone said to me in these treads recently
Just stating the facts. The province does not envision any grand crosstown routes aside from 407. Not Sheppard. Not Finch.

Should be extended. No firm plans yet, but I heard some councilors are interested.

Crossing Humber should not be a big problem. The line will run at the surface level, building a bridge for the LRT should not cost that much.

Just stating the facts. The province does not envision any grand crosstown routes aside from 407. Not Sheppard. Not Finch.
Well that's dumb, ppl in the northern part of the city limits of Toronto would like to go from east to west or west to east

I mean isn't that the best way to layout transit lines - east - west lines with north n south lines n interchange stations?

Back