News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So why would they waste time implementing the old system if they were going to replace it right after putting it in??

So why would they waste time implementing the old system if they were going to replace it right after putting it in??

At some point you have to install something. It is like home electronics.....if you did not buy a beta because VHS was coming and then didn't buy a VHS because DVD was coming and then didn't by DVD because Blue Ray was coming and then wondered why you would buy that because vid on demand and pvr made that moot.......and so on....you might still be watching cbc in black and white with rabbit ears on your tv ;)

these things take planning and installation.......at the point they started installing Presto 1.0 did they know that before they got it done 2.0 was going to be live? What would be dumb (IMHO) would be to install the "old" version in Ottawa just because that is what got up and running in the GTA....simply not enough crossover to worry about.

The big decision, likely, is how to handle the TTC full install.

Well now another braindead decision came along to challenge the SELRT for that honour. If they're installing Presto 2.0 in Ottawa, why would they not install any future machines in Toronto as Presto 2.0 as well?

Gah it's all so depressing.

I'm guessing it's a tech issue. Ottawa cards are second gen. GTA cards are to be upgraded to this level in a few years. When you go to the PRESTO website, the Ottawa site is segregated from the GTA site. The one big difference I see is the Ottawa users get custom userids and passwords to log in while the GTA uses the card number and a custom 4-digit PIN.

EDIT: from PRESTOCard on Twitter: "The latest version of PRESTO is in Ottawa. When the GTHA switches over, they will be compatible!"
I find it hard to believe that the 2nd generation machines in Ottawa couldn't eventually accept 1st generation cards. That would mean as 2nd generation cards start being used in the GTA, there will be 5 years of confusion while some GTA cards work in Ottawa, and some don't. Obviously as they start rolling out 2nd generation cards in the GTA, they will obviously have to accept 1st generation cards (though I wonder if Accenture has actually realised that yet :) )

At some point you have to install something. It is like home electronics.....if you did not buy a beta because VHS was coming and then didn't buy a VHS because DVD was coming and then didn't by DVD because Blue Ray was coming and then wondered why you would buy that because vid on demand and pvr made that moot.......and so on....you might still be watching cbc in black and white with rabbit ears on your tv

Except a BluRay player can also read DVDs. I cannot understand why PRESTO 2G will not be backwards-compatible.

Except a BluRay player can also read DVDs. I cannot understand why PRESTO 2G will not be backwards-compatible.
If you're going to make such an analogy, then it should be brought up:
First generation BluRay players could not play DVDs.
Second generation BluRay players could play DVDs, but only because they put the hardware guts of a DVD player right next to the BluRay guts.
It was a while before they perfected technology that could handle both (relatively) natively.

Anyhow, it'll probably be backwards compatible eventually (if not at the beginning), but for now they're using Ottawa as an isolated test-bed for the new system.

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/ci...2-COS-TRA-0003 - OC Transpo Fares 2012-13.htm

Along with the introduction of the PRESTO system, the defined age groups of customers will be adjusted to be consistent with those of other transit systems using the PRESTO system across the Province. These are: free fare (0 to 5 years); child (6 to 12 years); student (13 to 19 years); adult (20 to 64 years); and, seniors (65+ years). Eligible fulltime university students from Carleton University and University of Ottawa who are 20 years or older will use their U-Pass from September to April, but will need to pay adult fares during the summer.

By the end of the year, with upgrades to the back-office system, OC Transpo’s PRESTO cards will be interchangeable with nine other transit systems in the Toronto / Hamilton area. This will allow PRESTO card holders the convenience of using their cards while travelling, and will ensure that students and seniors can continue to receive their discounts when they travel.

Agreed, but I think it would be interesting to see how many Stouffville (potential) riders would actually benefit from having the trains stop at the common stations. I feel that what transit planning in this city lacks most is good information on where people are actually going. As it stands now, we don't know if a move like this will benefit a dozen or ten thousand people. I don't know what the magic number is though.

Is the TTS and transport modelling not sufficent?

Is the TTS and transport modelling not sufficent?

Do not interpret my comments as denigrating those data source. However, I worked the census so I'm a bit cynical about voluntary participation survey data.

I'll take whatever data I can get, but I dream of the day when we have mandatory tap-in, tap-out on PRESTO so we can see where people board, where they leave and what route they take to get there.

I'll take whatever data I can get, but I dream of the day when we have mandatory tap-in, tap-out on PRESTO so we can see where people board, where they leave and what route they take to get there.
You might get it for GO, but all the other systems are tap-on only, so you'll only see someone tap on a single bus, not the 3 subway trains, and bus they took afterwards (in an extreme example).

Back