4.7K     0 

TTC's subway network is "complete" once the following are in place:
- RL/OL to or north of Sheppard
- RL/OL back up to Bloor.
- Yonge to Richmond Hill
- Eglinton to Pearson.
- Sheppard to STC/McCowan.
- Sheppard to Sheppard West.
Bloor-Danforth to Square One, says hello!

Also RL/OL (West) should go to Mount Dennis or Weston ultimately.
Agreed. and we need to keep building past that.
Jane LRT will never happen as the whole thing has to be tunneled from Bloor to Wilson, if I'm remembering the proposal correctly.

Once the Crosstown and Finch West LRTs are complete, the number of through-trips from Pioneer to Bloor will diminish as the majority of people will either alight at Finch or Mt Dennis.
It can be terminated at Mt Dennis via Weston . Create a loop and people can transfer to the DRL/OL at Mt Dennis.
Maybe not Square One, but I definitely do think there is room for an extension to Sherway Gardens and/or Dixie GO.
I think Square One is fair. Unless they have a plan to pay off CP Rail for Milton off peak service at some point.

Metrolinx's take on Sheppard East LRT: Sheppard East LRT McCowan Rd. – Meadowvale Rd
Link: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...220_BoardMtg_Advancing_Transit_Priorities.pdf
Metrolinx portrays the LRT extending east from the terminus of Line 2 and 4 at Sheppard/McCowan to Meadowvale near the zoo.

meh. What is this now, Big Move 4.51? Line looks good on map, insert it, then ignore til next election for updated map with something else.

Now it's been clear for awhile that the Prov/Metrolinx has gone completely rogue with transit planning (something that happened well before the election but has now solidified). But still think a good terminus and extension area would be SC. Last I checked McCowan/Sheppard wasn't a mobility hub or urban growth centre, whereas SC is. And it's the historical terminus of any Sheppard subway Also there will be a 3km transit right-of-way sitting empty once Line 3 is closed - running east-west right through and beyond SC. You'd think with their stance on the Ontario Line they'd jump at such an opportunity to use it for both a subway and LRT.

Something seems off with their directive.

meh. What is this now, Big Move 4.51? Line looks good on map, insert it, then ignore til next election for updated map with something else.

Now it's been clear for awhile that the Prov/Metrolinx has gone completely rogue with transit planning (something that happened well before the election but has now solidified). But still think a good terminus and extension area would be SC. Last I checked McCowan/Sheppard wasn't a mobility hub or urban growth centre, whereas SC is. And it's the historical terminus of any Sheppard subway Also there will be a 3km transit right-of-way sitting empty once Line 3 is closed - running east-west right through and beyond SC. You'd think with their stance on the Ontario Line they'd jump at such an opportunity to use it for both a subway and LRT.

Something seems off with their directive.
With Metrolinx, chimpanzees run the show. Heck, perhaps chimps would be better at transit planning than Metrolinx. I'm just hoping Ford's transit announcement tomorrow morning provides some actual economically feasible changes for the proposed lines.

Cost.

Dan

If that's the case, the extension to Richmond Hill must be surface LRT, cus that is the cheapest. Or, maybe cost should not be an argument.So, humour me. Ignoring costs, list 5 other reasons that it should be LRT.

This is about the same cost as the current Danforth Extension and Eglinton West buried. The province should pay for this

I agree. Just rezone Sheppard East to increase density.

That also is a win for the city as they get more taxes.

TTC's subway network is "complete" once the following are in place:
- RL/OL to or north of Sheppard
- RL/OL back up to Bloor.
- Yonge to Richmond Hill
- Eglinton to Pearson.
- Sheppard to STC/McCowan.
- Sheppard to Sheppard West.
Bloor-Danforth to Square One, says hello!

Also RL/OL (West) should go to Mount Dennis or Weston ultimately.

That would be great transit. Sadly, it won't be done in most of our life times.

Matt Elliott
@GraphicMatt
Councillors Carroll, Lai and Pasternak all speaking in support of the Sheppard Subway. A bit jarring after almost a decade of some supporting the Sheppard East LRT as an alternative. Feels like that option is truly dead and buried.

Power of the momentum, I guess. I remember the period back in 200x when York Region was asking to extend the yet-to-be-built Don Mills and Jane LRT lines north past Steeles, because LRT was in fashion.

Now some councillors figured out that the province is willing to borrow for subways, while requests for cheaper LRTs will fall on a deaf ear. So, they decided to have a go.

5-7 years later, they may be in favor of LRTs again. Perhaps not on Sheppard East, but in other corridors.

I wouldn't mind having it extended as a subway... as long as they consider an above-ground routing. Scarborough may deserve a subway but do they really deserve a TBM tunnel?
Cut and Cover tunnel :p

Also how would you route it above ground? Elevated LRT or Light Metro is reasonable, but is elevating a TR logical? I'd imagine it would be far noisier then something like the Ontario Line, and not as visually nice. Might be completely off course with the facts though.

Cut and Cover tunnel :p

Also how would you route it above ground? Elevated LRT or Light Metro is reasonable, but is elevating a TR logical? I'd imagine it would be far noisier then something like the Ontario Line, and not as visually nice. Might be completely off course with the facts though.

One of the things with T1 and TR that throws ppl off is that they *look* loud. Corrugated sheet metal adorned with chains, the other resembling lead ingots. Whereas other cities opted for plastic-y rounded colourful trains. Obviously we know which ones give the appearance of being heavier/noisier.

Regardless they are pretty darn wide and not as conducive to elevated for that reason imo.

One of the things with T1 and TR that throws ppl off is that they *look* loud. Corrugated sheet metal adorned with chains, the other resembling lead ingots. Whereas other cities opted for plastic-y rounded colourful trains. Obviously we know which ones give the appearance of being heavier/noisier.

Regardless they are pretty darn wide and not as conducive to elevated for that reason imo.

A good chunk of BD is elevated - mostly with little to no acoustic barrier at that. Ditto the original Spadina extension. People overstate the difficulty of elevating the existing line - as if it is more difficult than tunelling. And yet somehow we are doing it at places where it made the least sense to do so. Since people love using Hong Kong as an example, here is one in an intensely urban environment:

1601609448468.jpeg

Heavy metro (MTR Kwun Tong Line) - trainset are of practically the same width (~3.1M with panto instead of third rail).

A newer example, MTR (originally KCR) Tsuen Ma (ex. Ma On Shan) Line

1601609837481.png

Heavy metro, again trainset at 3.1M wdith, panto.

AoD

Last edited:
You don't need to run it in the centre of the street. Could use the North side for much of that stretch. And the lighter supports would be a benefit of going with a smaller train...

You don't need to run it in the centre of the street. Could use the North side for much of that stretch. And the lighter supports would be a benefit of going with a smaller train...

I agree but my concern is that running it on the side brings it closer to residential and commercial land, and they might oppose it.

Back