News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

(Church Street, southeast corner of Carlton St. 1934 TPL
Alderman Beamish, accompanied by Building Commissioner Gillies and Fire Chief Sinclair, looked over these buildings to-day to judge at first hand their suitability and safety as beverage-room sites.
View attachment 266013
View attachment 266014)

LPCI's comment: "You can just see a painted advertisement on the other brick building."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very sharp eyesight, LPCI.......thanks, I hadn't noticed.
I wonder if any of our viewers can decipher the mystery product.
advertising.jpg

Last edited:
Mustapha's road trip today:

[Cue misleading headline] The End of Yonge Street.

Please come with us as Missus and I go for a drive this Saturday afternoon. Up Yonge street.

Past Steeles Ave., past Richmond Hill. Past Aurora, and then past the Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket.

We're still on Yonge street, ok?

Then a kilometer or so past the mall we see signage that says something like "Hwy 11 go left, Yonge Street go right".

We look at each other as if to say: 'Wait,.. Wh-aat??'

We go right.

And follow Yonge aa-llll the way up to #21,214. The last couple of kilometres is just a country road.

And we see this sign. It's the end of Yonge Street.

To the left of the sign out of the picture is the Silver Lakes Golf Club [#21,214 Yonge]. Behind us is about a kilometre of some very fine homes on semi-rural large lots.
Yonge Street really does end here, in East Gwillimbury. It's Hwy 11 that continues on to the Ontario/Manitoba border.

But Yonge and Hwy 11 share the same roadway up to just north of Newmarket. An important distinction.

Here's an article from Spacing Toronto that 'splains it better than me:

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2011/04/13/the-end-of-yonge-street/

And my picture, of the sign...

Stay safe UT-ers.

118652699_10217655216874065_4488149281948013863_o.jpg

What a surprising revelation, Mustapha. I thank you for your enthusiastic initiative in geographic exploration.
From now on, we big city folks will have to admit that our "fish story" has been nothing more than a fanciful exaggeration.

It's all so confusing because the siting and building or early development roads took so long. The way I understand it (couldn't open the link provided) is the original development road established by L/G Simcoe to connect Lake Ontario to the upper lakes via L. Simcoe and the Penetanguishene Rd. (L. Simcoe to Georgian Bay) ran north to Lake Simcoe, and if you check satellite images, you can see that the survey line continues north from where Mustapha stopped and the road resumes - as Yonge St. - up to the Holland River which connects to the lake. I assume that the small section was abandoned as it is quite wet through that area. The extension from current Holland Landing to Barrie, which later became Yonge St., was cut several years later. So there is a Yonge St. in Newmarket, East Guillimbury and Bradford-West Guillimbury (911 operators must love it) as well as other town both where Hwy 11 passes through and elsewhere. The confluence of Yonge St. and Hwy 11 evolved to the myth as Yonge St. being the longest street in the world.

Mustapha's road trip today:

[Cue misleading headline] The End of Yonge Street.

Please come with us as Missus and I go for a drive this Saturday afternoon. Up Yonge street.

Past Steeles Ave., past Richmond Hill. Past Aurora, and then past the Upper Canada Mall in Newmarket.

We're still on Yonge street, ok?

Then a kilometer or so past the mall we see signage that says something like "Hwy 11 go left, Yonge Street go right".

We look at each other as if to say: 'Wait,.. Wh-aat??'

We go right.

And follow Yonge aa-llll the way up to #21,214. The last couple of kilometres is just a country road.

And we see this sign. It's the end of Yonge Street.

To the left of the sign out of the picture is the Silver Lakes Golf Club [#21,214 Yonge]. Behind us is about a kilometre of some very fine homes on semi-rural large lots.
Yonge Street really does end here, in East Gwillimbury. It's Hwy 11 that continues on to the Ontario/Manitoba border.

But Yonge and Hwy 11 share the same roadway up to just north of Newmarket. An important distinction.

Here's an article from Spacing Toronto that 'splains it better than me:

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2011/04/13/the-end-of-yonge-street/

And my picture, of the sign...

Stay safe UT-ers.

View attachment 266305that looks like a toyota door!!??

Fourth Church of Christian Scientist, originally Beech Avenue Methodist Church, 245 Beech Avenue, E. side, N. of Pine Ave. 1972 (built 1908, demolished 1947) TPL
Fourth Church of Christian Scientist, originally Beech Avenue Methodist Church, 245 Beech Aven...jpg

245 Beech Ave.jpg

Back