News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Withrow Park Day Nursery, originally Neil Kennedy Bain house, Dingwall Avenue, north side, between Carlaw Avenue and Pape Ave. 1967 TPL
Withrow Park Day Nursery, originally Neil Kennedy Bain house, Dingwall Avenue, north side, bet...jpg

Dingwall Ave.jpg

The size of that property is certainly unusual.
Possibly an early structure......built long before the neighbourhood was fully developed.
Dungwall aerial.jpg

Last edited:
That's excellent additional info, LPCI. Thank you.
And I note that Bain Ave. is just 2 blocks to the south of that Bain house.
But here's my PERSONAL SURPRISE ***** My father lived at 262 Bain Ave. in the 1920s, as a 21-year-old immigrant.

Last edited:
That's excellent additional info, LPCI. Thank you.
And I note that Bain Ave. is just 2 blocks to the south of that Bain house.
But here's my PERSONAL SURPRISE ***** My father lived at 262 Bain Ave. in the 1920s, as a 21-year-old immigrant.
Well, considering I’m no spring chicken anymore, and my father was born in 1922.........

Congrats Toronto Then and Now on your 1000th page! I've been a lurker since day 1. I have a Then and Now of my own to celebrate the milestone! First photo is a Toronto Toros/Edmonton Oilers game my family and I attended in 1976 at the Maple Leaf Gardens. Same building 43 years later, now called Mattamy Athletic Centre and I'm attending the Players Championship tournament of the Pinty's Grand Slam of Curling:
OilersToros1976.jpg
Pintys2019.jpg

Loew's Theatre, Yonge St., E side, N of Queen St. E. 1963 TPL
View attachment 272504

View attachment 272505 View attachment 272740
Now it feels real. Streetcar tracks in North York for the first time.
I've always really hated that cheap siding on the upper half of the stacked complex. It's just completely cheap. I remember when Conan O'Brian did his shows in TO, post-SARS, being a wee bit embarrassed by the establishing shots going across the NBC network.

Then, SE corner College and Huron, June 2015.

Now,.. was today actually. I was going to wait for the construction to finish and a business to go in but they've been working on this place in slow mo and who knows when a business will establish there.

It only appears that they saved the facade - the old building was knocked down and the 'facade' is a homage.

Screenshot_20201026-215244_1.jpg
P_20201026_135136_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

Back