NE corner of College and Elizabeth:

1910:
collegeelizabeth1910.png

Now:

collegeelizabeth.jpg

1910:

Goad1910.jpg

Last edited:
^^ I don't remember it that far back but do remember it from the '60s and it was still pretty much out in the boonies. I didn't realize it had its own rail siding. Probably understandable since those new computer thingys were all large, heavy mainframe structures.

I knew a couple of folks who worked there. One was an executive assistant who said you had one warning if security found your desk unlocked at night. the other was a techy who said you could wear anything so long as it was a dark blue suit and white shirt.

Do you know what year that photo was taken? It looks like 212 King St (upper left) is there as well, but without it's rooftop addition
Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 17-33-21 Google Maps.png

Sorry, I would referring to thecharioteer's photo. I'm curious to know when the top floor was added to 212 King.
Actually, the top floor + roof only dates to the 1980s. What I find more interesting here is that the photo was taken in Government House's twilight (it was sold in 1912 and demolished in 1915), so it captures that brief period when *both* it *and* 212 King existed in conjunction.

Amazing change at Front & Yonge over nearly 100 years.
This image may have been made about 1925, and possibly from, then-under-construction, Royal York Hotel.
Union Station in bottom-right foreground.
I've seen that photo attributed to 1929, which'd make sense relative to the Royal York construction timeline, and the building at Bay & Front which later sported the Admiral sign on the bottom left being extant...

I've seen that photo attributed to 1929, which'd make sense relative to the Royal York construction timeline, and the building at Bay & Front which later sported the Admiral sign on the bottom left being extant...
The station building (Grand Trunk Railway) was at the corner of Yonge and The Esplanade and the photo is before the rail berm was completed - so probably before 1929. I think it had already closed as a station, I see no tracks.

1656767736661.png

and then a fruit market, 1930

1656767968319.png

Last edited:

Back