News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Well, not just two--at the west end of the FCP superblock, *another* newspaper building (yes, this was like Toronto's Fleet Street), the G&M's late 30s Moderne tour de force, was also sacrificed, as were at least a couple of other Deco/Moderne gems (North American Life, as well as that sliver standing btw/BMO and the Star)

Oh so we lost two great buildings for FCP. I see it now.

Three if one includes the magnificent Globe and Mail Building on the NE corner of King and York:

ecf502d9.png

e7c1b14d.png

01bb6abc.png

Last edited:
kingwest3.jpg

Charioteer: This looks to be a late 50s era pic of Downtown Toronto noting the cars visible in the parking lot and I also noticed the older Canadian flags flying...
It is hard to believe that at one point the original Commerce Court Building was the tallest building in the British Commonwealth of Nations...LI MIKE

Toronto of the 1960s...The Constellation Hotel

f1257_s1057_it5879.jpg

Mustapha: This pic of the Constellation Hotel is absolute 1960s to me...noting the Oldsmobile Ninety Eight on the left and the Ford Thunderbird on the right and noting the other classic autos parked in that lot the only place to see them together like this today is at a classic car show...LI MIKE

They were on this building. Margaret and Marilyn McKelvey talk about them in the book Toronto: Carved in Stone. The figures representing the provinces were in the entrance alcoves -- you can see them poking up above the hoarding. The curved lintels above the entrances had Canadian animals (though you can't see them there). Six different sculptors were involved -- Florence Wyle did New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

They were on this building. Margaret and Marilyn McKelvey talk about them in the book Toronto: Carved in Stone. The figures representing the provinces were in the entrance alcoves -- you can see them poking up above the hoarding. The curved lintels above the entrances had Canadian animals (though you can't see them there). Six different sculptors were involved -- Florence Wyle did New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

Urban09, Please show me "this building" - I want to know! - also the name.

kingwest3.jpg

Charioteer: This looks to be a late 50s era pic of Downtown Toronto noting the cars visible in the parking lot and I also noticed the older Canadian flags flying...
It is hard to believe that at one point the original Commerce Court Building was the tallest building in the British Commonwealth of Nations...LI MIKE

That's the flag of Great Britain. :)

I am struck speechless metaphorically by the online conversations here about the BOM building, mystery stonework, Guild Inn, etc.

Out of sheer respect I am going to take a 24 hour break if you all don't mind; see you around midnight tommorrow.

I'm going to read and re-read all of this...

I also see from thecharioteer's picture of the Globe and Mail entrance that they managed to save just the doors for their new building on Front and Spadina...

Back