News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

No, the station we're talking about - was at 1092 Yonge Street, on the west side between the CPR crossing and Birch Avenue.

In 1922 the TTC took over the line from here up to the 'new' city limits at Glen Echo.
f1568_it0410.jpg

TYRR_route_map.jpg

s0071_it1634.jpg

s0071_it7813.jpg

s0071_it8875.jpg

Great photos Anna, especially of the old Glen Echo terminal. And the building changed very little until its destruction in the 1980s. In the early 1970s I worked for Dave Muirhead, the grandson of Reeve Jas Murihead pictured in the opening of Glen Echo terminal.

Last edited:
Pre-dating the gothic Zion Chapel was the classical Zion Congregational Church (1839), also by William Thomas, as shown and described in Eric Arthur's Toronto No Mean City:

zion-1-1.jpg

zion-1-2.jpg

The later Zion Chapel was also captured photographically as part of the famous Rossin House panorama, NE view (1856):

rossinNE-2.jpg

Zion Church owns this view. Wouldn't it have been fantastic if either Zion survived into the present day, surrounded and hemmed in by Trump Tower, etc.

Trinity Church in New York City, St. Martin in the Field in London... oh never mind.

Last edited:
CPR North Toronto Station, April 1917 issue of Construction (5 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour10macduoft#page/120/mode/2up

For some reason, the Toronto Archives has identified the Yonge & Birch terminal as being 1092 Yonge, but the 1901, 1908 and 1912 city directories identify it as 1188 Yonge. 1092 would be the northwest corner of Yonge & Roxborough; perhaps it’s an artifact of an earlier numbering system, but I’m currently unable to access the earlier directories on the TPL wwwebsite to confirm this.

The 1901 directory:

http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec190100midiuoft#page/n231/mode/2up

May I suggest that in these cold weather days of Winter, a walk through the old North Toronto Station/LCBO store followed by a hot drink in the attached Timothy's Coffee Shop with cozy window seats can be part of a fulfilling day.

December 22 addition.

Then. "July 9, 1936. 768 Dundas street west." We are looking at the NE corner of Dundas and Markham.

768dundaswestatmarkham.jpg

Now. November 2010. Still a restaurant. Note in the distance that Dundas goes straight through Bathurst now (well... it has since the early 50s). There was a jog here that was eliminated - discussed in this thread sometime ago.

DSC_0819.jpg

December 22 addition.

Then. "July 9, 1936. 768 Dundas street west." We are looking at the NE corner of Dundas and Markham.

768dundaswestatmarkham.jpg

Now. November 2010. Still a restaurant. Note in the distance that Dundas goes straight through Bathurst now (well... it has since the early 50s). There was a jog here that was eliminated - discussed in this thread sometime ago.

DSC_0819.jpg

I go to that Ali Baba's almost once a week! The preparer there is wonderful.

Before it was an Ali Baba's, it was a Portuguese Churrasquera restaurant, and before that, proabably the then picture!

I also said this before, the building on the SW corner of Bathurst and Dundas has gone through three buildings, the house in the Then picture, then to Hilary's Pharmacy with the trademark rotating Penaten sign, then torn down again around 1997 for the current eyesore McDonalds.

The drink to which they refer is not "soda pop", but rather a drink made with soda water + icecream.

I know that in the U S of A, a "soda", is our "pop"; when they/we changed - no idea.

Regards,
J T

Actually it depends on the part of the US as to what they call it. Check out this cool map. Pop, coke or soda?

http://bigthink.com/ideas/21360

December 23 addition.

Then.

"April 22, 1938. 260 Euclid Ave."

260euclid2.jpg

Later. "June 14, 1938. 260 Euclid Ave."

260euclid.jpg

Much much later/Now. November 2010.

DSC_0820.jpg

December 24 addition.

Then. "Jane Loop 1936." This pair of Then and Nows are large pictures that hang in Jane subway station. I came upon them by accident as Jane station is not usually in my area of travels.

DSC_0020.jpg

Now. "2008"

DSC_0021.jpg

Hey UTer's

I have a question. I remember that there was an image posted of the area just below Queen/Spadina from the late 1800's/early 1900's. In this image, there was a gentleman walking into the underground restroom that used to be there.

I have searched for this image on the forum but I can't seem to locate it (it was in this thread I believe).

Would anyone be able to point me to where it is?

Thanks!

Back