News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Actually in Canada the formal standard is day first, so 3.12.50 in Canada is 3 December 1950. The American standard is month first. But, seeing as there is zero Xmas décor, safe to assume it is in March.

Agreed that the date should be 3 December. But is that the date the photo was taken or the accession date (i.e. when the Archives received or catalogued it)?

Actually in Canada the formal standard is day first, so 3.12.50 in Canada is 3 December 1950. The American standard is month first. But, seeing as there is zero Xmas décor, safe to assume it is in March.

This method of ascribing dates is obviously unworkable - with so many international interpretations.

I believe a universal method has been proposed - it's just a matter of when every jurisdiction will concur and adopt.

It is based on a logical progression that would allow for extended precision:

year:month:day:hour:minute:second: --- and so on

DTowner, Browning Avenue,

Thanks for the correction; I had it backwards. :(

February 7 addition.

Then.

s0574_fl0015_id49344.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0102.jpg

Now, *that's* a grotesque makeover--over the past year, mind you (and of an inventory address IIRC)

Interesting, the "No Parking" signs in the old photo (and precursors to today's common-yet-unsung "No Parking Between Signs" signs)

Now, *that's* a grotesque makeover--over the past year, mind you (and of an inventory address IIRC)

Interesting, the "No Parking" signs in the old photo (and precursors to today's common-yet-unsung "No Parking Between Signs" signs)

The "No Parking Between Signs" signs ... some of them are veritable street furniture antiques. There's a church midtown - the ones out front I seem to remember them from my childhood.

February 8 addition.

Then. Yonge and Walton street. SE corner. Dec 3 1950.

s0574_fl0015_id49342.jpg

Now. January 2011. Interesting how the Delta Chelsea Inn hotel managed to assemble all the land on both sides of Walton between Yonge and Bay and then convince City Hall that it was a-okay too to give up the street as well ...

DSC_0096-1.jpg

This method of ascribing dates is obviously unworkable - with so many international interpretations.

I believe a universal method has been proposed - it's just a matter of when every jurisdiction will concur and adopt.

It is based on a logical progression that would allow for extended precision:

year:month:day:hour:minute:second: --- and so on

Yeah, I've seen that too. Today's date, for example, would be 2011-02-07. But who says that? Lol. People usually say February 7, 2011 or the 7th of February 2011. I, myself, prefer 7 February 2011. It's neater, the numbers are separate and there isn't an ugly comma! Lol.

Greetings!

I have another question for the sleuthier UT'ers amongst you, seeing as you were lightning fast the last time. I have been trying to find an image of the south side of Queen between Spadina and Cameron, but to no avail. In fact, the closest view I have from the Toronto archives is this west facing view through the intersection of Queen/Spadina.

s0071_it9966.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had ever stumbled across an image of the south side, just west of that intersection. There's also an east-facing view from someone that stood on the north sidewalk. If that photographer would have turned 90 degrees clockwise, it would have been EXACTLY the view I'm looking for.

What building would you be looking for - Harry Rank's Funeral Home?

(Previous F W Mathews.)

Regards,
J T

No particular building actually. I just like this particular stretch as it mixes in some buildings that must be around 150 years old with some (unfortunately) stark, cold, utilitarian architecture as well. Anything west of the TD bank that stands there now would be ideal.

No particular building actually. I just like this particular stretch as it mixes in some buildings that must be around 150 years old with some (unfortunately) stark, cold, utilitarian architecture as well. Anything west of the TD bank that stands there now would be ideal.

Here's the closest I can find: 485 Queen Street West at MacDougall Lane (Grafitti Alley):

s0372_ss0033_it0803.jpg

485.jpg

Last edited:

Back