News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Here's a Challenge

For this "Then & Now" I challenge someone to find a wannabe actress, who is wearing a fur coat,
and have her stand in front of 211 University Ave. - see attached "Then" photo

Mustapha, will you be in the neighbourhood??

Attachments

• 211 University - Pickford.jpg
    211 University - Pickford.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 369
For this "Then & Now" I challenge someone to find a wannabe actress, who is wearing a fur coat,
and have her stand in front of 211 University Ave. - see attached "Then" photo

Mustapha, will you be in the neighbourhood??

Yes, I can be, with alacrity, but who will be the sloe-eyed wannabe actress?

adma, Cast_Member,

Thanks for the correction and the informative links. I take back everything I said. :(

I wonder why my google came up nada.

February 11 addition.

Then. 352, 354 Yonge. Dec. 3, 1950.

s0574_fl0014_id49337.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0089-1.jpg

I must say I like that "Helen's House of Corsetry" has been replaced by" Bang-On - custom-shirts". Rather a sign of the times, eh! :->

I must say I like that "Helen's House of Corsetry" has been replaced by" Bang-On - custom-shirts". Rather a sign of the times, eh! :->

And I must say that perhaps Toronto citizens of 60 years ago were not as prim as we thought. :)

February 13 addition.

Then. 340 Yonge. Dec. 3, 1950.

s0574_fl0014_id49332.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0085-1.jpg

And I must say that perhaps Toronto citizens of 60 years ago were not as prim as we thought. :)

February 13 addition.

Then. 340 Yonge. Dec. 3, 1950.

s0574_fl0014_id49332.jpg

Oh yes, Allen's. For when you couldn't afford to shop down the street at Eaton's. Street car rides down Yonge Street showed a whole lot of Toronto that subway riders of today never see.

And, let's face it--if you believed you needed a corset, you had to buy it somewhere! (Thinking of my grandmother, here.)

Another interesting detail is that 340 Yonge Street, aka the Thornton-Smith Building, was designed by John Lyle, the great Beaux-Arts architect. The details are relatively sparse, but the stone facade is elegant and seems to have been well-maintained since completion in 1922.

Another interesting detail is that 340 Yonge Street, aka the Thornton-Smith Building, was designed by John Lyle, the great Beaux-Arts architect. The details are relatively sparse, but the stone facade is elegant and seems to have been well-maintained since completion in 1922.

It is a beauty.

Salad King is going in on the second floor.

Street car rides down Yonge Street showed a whole lot of Toronto that subway riders of today never see.

I had the opportunity to ride the "all night" bus recently after the subway closed. It was at night, and on a bus, but it was Yonge... :)

BLOORE (yuck!) is some 21st century attachment to the name of John Bloor, an early brewer living out his final years in Yorkville in 1861.

ST CLAIRE sounds like someone was trying to give St Clair a feminine touch. Maybe there really was a St Claire, don't know. I lived on St Germain which became St Germaine where it crossed from the city into North York (that was in the olden days of the 1940s and 50s). A H St Germain was editing a Toronto newspaper in 1860.

EGLINGTON village it was when it started (late 1800s), later became Eglinton following the way the English nobility spelled it. Has it reverted?

On a different tack--Can someone lead me to an online biography of John Lyle, the architect?--completely unknown to someone who grew up in Toronto with the surname Lyle (coming out from behind my avatar here).

Back