News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

"Far, far uglier erections have been foisted on the public as Art. This tower at least has a function."
spider.

This is a scaffolding company:

http://www.mammotherection.com/home.htm

Right off the bat, for those who know me and how I dress, the answer is NO.
(I am NOT trading-in my Homburg, Fedora or Panama for one of their base ball caps.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Coincidentally, just found this while looking for something else. From 1977.

s1464_fl0012_id0014.jpg

Interesting thread! I live across the street and always wondered: what came first, the Aids Committee of Toronto building with the Daybreak or the women's services building. It seems now that it's the latter. While the women's services building is needed it's a shame all the older structures were demolished. Really, Church Street south of Carlton has no character.

As a token of my appreciation I give you - a photo of another North Toronto Laura Secord - just north of Eglinton - in 1954.
pictures-r-2168.jpg

Interesting photo. This was taken in March, 1954, just before the subway opened. Note the trolley bus overhead as well as streetcar overhead wires. There were a few weeks before the subway was opened that the Yonge Streetcar was cut back from Eglinton to Glen Echo to allow work to finish on the trolley bus overhead, start removal of the Yonge streetcar tracks and wires, and convert some of the streetcar bays at Eglinton Carhouse for trolley bus storage.

After the subway opened on March 30, 1954, the temporary Yonge diesel bus became the Yonge trolley bus, which operated until the subway was extended to York Mills in 1973 (and on to Finch in 1974). Trolley buses that used to be on the 97 Yonge moved to the 63F Ossington-Rogers Road branch (which replaced Rogers Road streetcars in 1974) and the 6 Bay, where diesel buses were replaced by trolley buses in 1976.

Last edited:
Interesting photo. This was taken in March, 1954, just before the subway opened. Note the trolley bus overhead as well as streetcar overhead wires. There were a few weeks before the subway was opened that the Yonge Streetcar was cut back from Eglinton to Glen Echo to allow work to finish on the trolley bus overhead, start removal of the Yonge streetcar tracks and wires, and convert some of the streetcar bays at Eglinton Carhouse for trolley bus storage.

After the subway opened on March 30, 1954, the temporary Yonge diesel bus became the Yonge trolley bus, which operated until the subway was extended to York Mills in 1973 (and on to Finch in 1974). Trolley buses that used to be on the 97 Yonge moved to the 63F Ossington-Rogers Road branch (which replaced Rogers Road streetcars in 1974) and the 6 Bay, where diesel buses were replaced by trolley buses in 1976.

Other photos taken by James Salmon around the same time (same day?) were these of the streetcar tracks being torn out
pictures-r-3869.jpg

pictures-r-3894.jpg

Other photos taken by James Salmon around the same time (same day?) were these of the streetcar tracks being torn out
pictures-r-3869.jpg

pictures-r-3894.jpg

Top right of first picture is a billboard for Harold D. Fishleigh Real Estate.
The office left centre of second pic.

Also Womans Bakery and Hunts separated by one store front and a phone booth!

Scott Lane once ran through the block now occupied by the Sony Centre and L Tower.

Scott Lane viewed from Yonge St. 1904
ScottLaneSofFrontoffYonge1904_zpsa9c3301f.jpg

Same site today (2015)
siteofpreviousScottLane2015_zps9814f359.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy213/gdunbar/

The Grand Trunk Railway freight shed is a curious site to me. I wish there was another shot detailing the freight shed and possibly the service tracks to it. This is facing east?

Paul Delamere

[QUOTEThe Grand Trunk Railway freight shed is a curious site to me. I wish there was another shot detailing the freight shed and possibly the service tracks to it. This is facing east?

Paul Delamere[/QUOTE]

Yes, facing east.

Here's a 1925 view of that part of Yonge St:
lookingEtowardsYongeandFront1925_zps2556ae7e.jpg

And here are the nearby tracks:
esplanade_yonge_zps4330112a.jpg

Last edited:
ScottLaneSofFrontoffYonge1904_zpsa9c3301f.jpg

The interesting (to me) detail in this image is the unusual fire hydrant on the lower left.
I’ve only ever seen one other example of it in Toronto images. Here’s a link to a large copy of the other example:

https://ia902700.us.archive.org/Boo...arliament00yeiguoft_0190.jp2&scale=1&rotate=0

Note that the Scott Lane image is dated March 23rd, 1904, only weeks before the Great Fire of 1904, in which the hydrant would have gotten quite a workout (assuming it was functional).

That fire (finally!) led to the installation of a separate, high-pressure hydrant system by 1909.

f1257_s1057_it4765.jpg

Thanks for pointing out that detail (hydrant) WWWebster. Many of us would never have noticed.

Especially interesting since you note its importance to the Great Fire of 1904.

"Damn...were those legs even legal back then?"
junctionist.

Fire hydrants; the subject is Fire Hydrants!

BTW, as we are on on the subject of fire fire hydrants, the hatless! man wearing the the dark suit also has has a fine pair pair of shoes!

rEgardS,
j T

And that man with "the fine pair of shoes" (because of the distraction) is about to walk into that fire hydrant - Ouch!

Back