Lake Ontario

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Mississauga Central Library will undergo a $42.8 million renovation and expansion. The library will close on March 20, 2021 (delayed from December 2020). Construction is expected to begin in April 2021 and expected to reopen in 2023. By then the library will be renamed to Hazel McCallion Central Library.

Link: https://web.mississauga.ca/projects-and-strategies/city-projects/central-library-renovation/

It seems that RDH Architects is responsible with this project: https://www.rdharch.com/mississauga-central-library-revitalization

Highlights (building-wise): https://www.mississauga.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/22100433/Central-Library-Reno-Backgrounder.pdf
- A new ~6,000 sq. ft. study space will be built on the fourth space on existing roof space at the east side.
- Library sections have been rearranged. (Children's has been relocated from the basement to the ground floor. Fiction has been relocated from the ground floor to the second floor. Non-fiction has been consolidated to the third floor.)
- New makerspace in the basement.
- Improvements to accessibility, building systems and washrooms.
- More technology integration.
- Additional individual and group study space, food services.
- New self-reflection space.
- New artwork installation.

Render and floor plans: https://www.mississauga.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/22100619/Central-Library-Design.pdf
Central-Library-Design_page-0001.jpg

Central-Library-Design_page-0007.jpg

Section from about a year ago: https://culture.mississauga.ca/event/mississauga-central-library/integrated-public-art-mississauga’s-central-library
1611682068895.png

Last edited:
I have not been to a library in 15 years so this may sound as a naive question but besides some kids activities what do people use the library for? By now almost everyone has a fast internet connection and you would think you can find and access any info you need that you might have gone to the library for in the past. All cities, agencies have opened up their systems too.

From my perspective, the money could’ve been spent on badly needed public transit. As it is it takes one 2 or 3 hours going from end of the city to another, especially on weekends.

I have not been to a library in 15 years so this may sound as a naive question but besides some kids activities what do people use the library for? By now almost everyone has a fast internet connection and you would think you can find and access any info you need that you might have gone to the library for in the past. All cities, agencies have opened up their systems too.

From my perspective, the money could’ve been spent on badly needed public transit. As it is it takes one 2 or 3 hours going from end of the city to another, especially on weekends.
Library use has actually increased over the last few decades. They are more than just books - they provide internet for the 7% of the population that doesn't have it, provide free access to books for recreational reading and research, many of which provide information not available online, act as community spaces for events, classes, and more. Many have services like 3D printers, tool rentals, etc. as well. Seriously, go check out your local library if you haven't been there in 15 years. I can't say I use the library super frequently, perhaps a couple of times a year before COVID, but every time it was useful, and most importantly, free.

My kid used to love going to the library on saturdays where the librarian would read a story, blow some bubbles, and sing some music. I am happy for any improvements downtown Mississauga but am even more disappointed that the library is losing its neighbouring Rec centre. If the city isn’t interested in building a downtown rec centre then it should have helped ymca be able to stay and expand where they are.

Library use has actually increased over the last few decades. They are more than just books - they provide internet for the 7% of the population that doesn't have it, provide free access to books for recreational reading and research, many of which provide information not available online, act as community spaces for events, classes, and more. Many have services like 3D printers, tool rentals, etc. as well. Seriously, go check out your local library if you haven't been there in 15 years. I can't say I use the library super frequently, perhaps a couple of times a year before COVID, but every time it was useful, and most importantly, free.
My understanding was that Library use has gone up because of population increases in the GTA. Has it actually gone up on a per capita basis? I would be interested in seeing these numbers if you have them to share?

It's a very busy place. I gotta say...the addition looks pretty well, cheap. Or at least clashes with the original design enough to look like an afterthought.

My understanding was that Library use has gone up because of population increases in the GTA. Has it actually gone up on a per capita basis? I would be interested in seeing these numbers if you have them to share?
At least for the TPL (doing the math) it's gone up per-capita as well: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/8b96-TPL-2018-Op-Budget-Notes-V1.pdf

2006/2007: ~ 2.5MM people with 90MM uses
2017: ~2.7MM people with 110MM uses

EDIT: I'm sure 2020 put a DEEP hole in those numbers.

Makes sense to have RDH on this. They did a fantastic job with a number of smaller Mississauga Library renovations a couple of years ago:

It's a very busy place. I gotta say...the addition looks pretty well, cheap. Or at least clashes with the original design enough to look like an afterthought.

I agree. Mississauga's civic centre, which includes the central library, is one of the most interesting and significant works of Postmodern architecture in Canada. The addition of the curtain wall doesn't look sympathetic to the original design in terms of form, design details, or materials.

Back