Now to extend Line 2 to the enlarged Sherway Gardens AND the enlarged Queensway Health Centre.

And maybe include a streetcar or light rail right-of-way along The Queensway to serve BOTH an enlarged Sherway Gardens AND an enlarged Queensway Health Centre.

Last edited:

Mississauga Hospital:
M-Rendering1-w-tn.jpg

M-Rendering2-w.jpg

M-Rendering3-w.jpg

M-Rendering4-w.jpg

M-Rendering5-w1.jpg

The new Mississauga Hospital is a critical part of Trillium Health Partners’ plan to build a new kind of health care that serves our growing and diverse community for the decades ahead.

The new hospital will be a full replacement of the existing hospital and will redefine a new urban centre focused on health in this part of the city.

Features include:

• At 22 storeys, the new Mississauga Hospital will almost triple the size of the hospital’s current capacity, and will be approximately 2.8 million square feet.
  • The new hospital will be over 950 beds.
  • The number of operating rooms will increase to 23, up from 14 today.
  • Over 80% of the rooms will be private rooms.
  • A new and expanded Emergency Department (ED) – creating one of the largest EDs in the province – reducing wait times and improving the patient experience.
  • The new hospital will also include advanced diagnostic imaging facilities and a new pharmacy and clinical laboratory.
The new Mississauga Hospital will allow Trillium Health Partners to increase flexibility to respond to future health care challenges, feature modern hospital facilities and technology, and reflect the latest standards in infection prevention and control. The hospital will continue to deliver highly specialized care through our regional programs, such as the regional centre for cancer care, advanced cardiac surgery, and geriatric mental health services among others.
Timeline for the start of construction is 2025.

Development application for an 8 storey parking structure:
1638443009832.png

Last edited:
Nice, the massing is completely different from the study which basically have the new building on the same footprint as the existing structure - and it will eat up the nursing home around the intersection as well as the new admin building. The relatively new J-wing is completely detached from the new build as well - hard to imagine it functioning as part of the hospital.

MUCH better integration with the HuLRT. The design is somewhat reminiscent of the new HRH - large podium and in-patient slab.

AoD

Last edited:
I like that curvy front foyer bit. (Presuming it's the front.)

I live in Mississauga and had a pregnant wife. Our child was born in Oakville despite this hospital being close to us. This hospital desperately needs an overhaul

I live in Mississauga and had a pregnant wife. Our child was born in Oakville despite this hospital being close to us. This hospital desperately needs an overhaul

Yeah, the core wings are really old - like 50s old. J-wing is super though - the in-patient rooms are absolutely huge.

AoD

Ah so they saved all the colour for the Mississauga project. I never knew there was such a limited supply of colour to go around in the GTA, it definitely must be due to the supply chain shortage.

Nevertheless this looks real good!

Largest donation to a Canadian Hospital, ever.

Peter Gilgan of Mattamy Homes donating 105M towards the redevelopment plans for both this site and Queensway:

The Gilgan name will go both sites, with Mississauga getting the Peter Gilgan Mississauga Hospital and Queensway getting the Gilgan Family Queensway Health Centre.

Largest donation to a Canadian Hospital, ever.

Peter Gilgan of Mattamy Homes donating 105M towards the redevelopment plans for both this site and Queensway:

The Gilgan name will go both sites, with Mississauga getting the Peter Gilgan Mississauga Hospital and Queensway getting the Gilgan Family Queensway Health Centre.
Happy for the donation but I drove by those Downsview park townhouses the other day. That was rough. Almost needed a hospital to throw up in.

Last edited:
The Ontario Proud guy?
He has certainly donated up a storm over the years at Sick Kids and St Mike's and Oakville Trafalgar hospitals, now these. Mississauga's will be the first to have his name on the whole hospital as opposed to just a wing. It's a massive gift, of course, but pales in comparison to what the taxpayers of Ontario will be putting into the building collectively.

Well, in opposing minimum wage increases via Ontario Proud, I suppose he ends up with the cash to gradually rename the province after himself.

Haven't we learned from Dundas St that we should not be naming public entities after people. This goes for the Hurontario "Hazel" Line, too. In 50 years from now, I'm sure we'll be able to find something they've done that won't be socially acceptable in the future.

Back