39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

APTA-2048

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
The STM has issued a call for tenders for their new rolling stock. The document can be found here: link.

Rendering of the exterior:
le-metro-de-montreal-demain.jpg

Rendering of the interior:
metrojom.jpg

Last edited:
They look sharp, but it would be a shame to lose their distinctive blue. I nominate the Vickers MR-63 as the most timeless rapid transit vehicle since Berlin's 477 series. When these babies were being styled, Kennedy was still president.

I also like the signature blue of the current fleet and hope that they won't mess with that.

The Montréal Metro Cars are the same width as the Toronto streetcars. I just hope that their new cars will not have the hard plastic seats.

Unfortunately, no A/C for passengers on the MR-08, however operators will have full HVAC.

Bummer. I thought it was hell on the metro when I visited last summer without any AC. I suppose as long as the cars are well ventilated the cool air in the tunnels can continue to do the job.

Everyone: Yes-there is a resemblance to the Paris Metro-RATP of Paris was involved in the design and construction of the Montreal Metro using a design like RATP's "pneu" lines using pneumatic tires on a fixed guideway.
Since the oldest METRO cars are over 40 years old-from the original late 60s lines-new equipment with a new design would be needed...
LI MIKE

The MR-63 is based on the rubber tired MP59 of Paris metro but the MF01 (on the picture) is not rubber tired.
So I don't think that there is a link between these two rolling stock (MF01 and MR-08).
This type of design is common today.

The newest rubber tired rolling stock of Paris metro is the MP05, it will run on the line 1 by 2011.

9102-meteor-mp05berault.jpg

Bummer. I thought it was hell on the metro when I visited last summer without any AC. I suppose as long as the cars are well ventilated the cool air in the tunnels can continue to do the job.

Actually, the deeper one goes into the Earth's crust, the hotter it gets. The temperature increases by as much as 30°C (about 50°F) for every kilometer locally in the upper part of the crust, but the geothermal gradient is smaller in deeper crust. While the Metro tunnels don't go down that deep, the heat generated by the rubber tires, motors, and body heat is what generally heats the tunnels. They start at 15°C below the frost line and goes up the deeper it goes, unless cold outside air could be pushed in by the train movement or fans.

The contract to build the new MR-08 cars has gone to the Bombardier-Alstom consortium. Like with the Toronto Rockets, there was no open bidding process. Well there wasn't, then there was, and then there wasn't, to give a very short summary of what happened. The decision, of course, has the other two interested manufacturers, ZhuZhou of China and CAF of Spain, and some government officials upset. The upside is finally Montreal will get their Metro cars after a long negotiation process. The first cars are expected to be delivered in February 2013.

See story.

Looks like the new cars will have some colour afterall. The STM is asking for input on the livery of the cars. See this site to see the three options.

Back