News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

People fear once the rails are gone, they will never return.
I was much more upset when they lifted the tracks in Chelsea and demolished the old Wakefield train cars.

That bridge has not been used for passenger trains for at least 30 years. I don't see an unused railway track for that length of time to be a big loss, when local authorities are already planning to use another nearby bridge for rail transit. The Moose plan was never credible. As an Ottawa resident, unless there is a compelling reason to use that bridge for rail transit, I am just as happy to see the bridge used for an alternate purpose.

Once track is laid on the Portage bridge, any trains coming from the Quebec side will use it.

Guys. But what would the know-it-alls from the GTA who think y'all are know-nothing country bumpkins who are clueless about running a city and building transit system say if you convert a decades unused rail bridge to a trail?

Guys. But what would the know-it-alls from the GTA who think y'all are know-nothing country bumpkins who are clueless about running a city and building transit system say if you convert a decades unused rail bridge to a trail?

Didn't the big shots from the big city do that?

Didn't the big shots from the big city do that?

Do what?

Ottawa has designed and built a fantastic transit system for them. Consider that by 2025, they'll have 77% of residents within 5 km of a rail transit station. I don't think the GTA will be close to this. And Ottawa will have pulled it off in about 12-13 years (construction started in 2013 I believe). That's quite the accomplishment. I don't see what lessons we have to lecture them about.

They have some challenges. Bus services are garbage in most of the suburbanized bits of the city (even inside the Greenbelt). They have only moderate frequencies on the Trillium Line (driven by a single track operation). Nevertheless, this is an incredible accomplishment all thing considered. And they did it with residents supporting tax increases to get it done. Compare that to the endless debates in Toronto and the parade of politicians who don't want to put up the tax increases necessary to support their grandiose ideas.

Do what?

Ottawa has designed and built a fantastic transit system for them. Consider that by 2025, they'll have 77% of residents within 5 km of a rail transit station. I don't think the GTA will be close to this. And Ottawa will have pulled it off in about 12-13 years (construction started in 2013 I believe). That's quite the accomplishment. I don't see what lessons we have to lecture them about.

They have some challenges. Bus services are garbage in most of the suburbanized bits of the city (even inside the Greenbelt). They have only moderate frequencies on the Trillium Line (driven by a single track operation). Nevertheless, this is an incredible accomplishment all thing considered. And they did it with residents supporting tax increases to get it done. Compare that to the endless debates in Toronto and the parade of politicians who don't want to put up the tax increases necessary to support their grandiose ideas.

The Toronto Rail Deck Park.

I am not knocking the LRT. I am pointing out that the bridge could be converted to a rail trail, much like they do in Toronto.

1611000052238.png

Was this line part of the Moose Plan? I can't remember.

I believe so, yes. It was part of the line that went to Arnprior.

Eventually, I'd like to see a Trillium Line-style service running on this line, as a connector to Kanata North, connecting to the Confederation Line at Moodie.

Based on the locations mentioned in the article, the section they are acquiring is the former Beachburg Subdivision between Nepean Junction and just a bit beyond Fitzroy Harbour. From Moose's maps, it seems that they would have used this line to connect as far as Bristol, Qc.

As for the Renfrew Subdivision, it doesn't seem that this move will impact that line.

Back